passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

General Apps Thread (Non-Games)

Uncle Dokuro

I know we have a thread for smartphone games, but I did not see a thread for apps that are not games. 

Today I found probably the best podcast manager on android called Pocket Casts. It cost $3.99 ,but it well worth it. It has everything from Giant Korean Head to Gamer Dork. The UI is sleek, user friendly and easy on the eyes. If you are serious about your podcasts I would recommend a look at it. It does seem like a missed opportunity to not offer a free trail version, but it well worth the money.   

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/INjXnMEnN08" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I thought I'd chime in with this thread also. For podcasts, I use Doubletwist. https://www.doubletwist.com/

It's a nifty little audio player. With the Airsync add-on installed, it'll download your subscribed podcasts over the Wi-Fi automatically, or it'll use mobile data if you select it in options. Also, it'll wireless sync to Itunes on your PC, and stream audio and video via Wi-Fi to Xbox 360, PS3, Sonos, and other wireless devices. It has built in internet radio too, and also has a companion Windows program, also called Doubletwist, which is basically Itunes for Android devices.

However, because I'm hard of hearing on one side, and also quite anal about having my music sound 'just so', I don't use Doubletwist as a music player, even though it's fully functional as one. For this I use Poweramp. http://powerampapp.com/

As a music player, I can't praise it enough. It plays practically every audio format you can think of, has a ten band graphic equaliser that can be set up however you want, even saving a custom made preset to a specific album. Also, it has audio gain for those quiet mp3's, bass and treble controls to supplement the equaliser, gapless playback, full headphones remote support, and more settings than you can shake a stick at. And you can try it for free for 15 days.

Still on the music side of things, I also use Google Play Music app, as a huge portion of my music collection has been uploaded to my Google account. The free account will let you store 20,000 mp3 songs, which is quite generous. The app allows you to stream your music collection over Wi-Fi or mobile data to your phone. And to speed up the upload, if your chosen album is on the Google Play store for sale, they'll just add it to your music storage direct, and skip that album's upload. Although that can give some weird results at times. For example, one of the albums I've uploaded was Limp Bizkit's 'Chocolate Starfish'. I found some weeks later that Google gave me their version of the album, and it was the censored version. Don't delete your mp3's just yet.

I'm also a big fan of Deezer. http://www.deezer.com/

It's a music streaming app and service, a little similar to Spotify and Rdio. However, if you have an Orange or EE mobile contract, it's free as an add-on. You have full access to their entire music album collection, and it can be streamed to your phone in the usual ways. Or you can use the app to download the albums to your phone while you're at home on your Wi-Fi. The downloaded tracks can only be played with the Deezer app, and are non-transferable, but you can add albums to your personal Deezer library for later retrieval.

• 1 month later...

I recently inherited a smartphone so I'm new to this app thing. I just realised I can download them through itunes and sync them with my iphone.

So what apps do you folks use?

At the moment I just have social media ones.

Apart from Grindr, obvs!

I would recommend...

Tweetbot - a much better twitter app than the official one.

Sleep Cycle - a clever sleep analizing/alarm clock app.

Twitch - it's app is really nice. I use it all the time.

Dropbox - cloud save app. Extremely useful.

VSCOcam - my fav photo taking/editing app.

Zombies, run! - a fun running app.

Spotify - for your music.

Downcast - as Lakitu has said probably the best podcast app about.

Thanks Duck I will look into those. Not too interested in podcasts or Spotify though. Unless someone can make a good case for Spotify? I have an ipod with thousands of songs on it.

Thanks for the Grindr recommendation, it looks...alternative.

• 1 year later...

I found this list of apps while scrolling through tumblr today:

here’s a handful of resources i have for people with adhd (and anyone else, really)

I think there are some really interesting apps there. I installed One Tab straight away.

I love the idea of Habitrpg I'm going to download it and give it a try, same goes for Pocket.

I probably should use something like Cold Turkey or Stay Focused at some point to cure my internet addiction...anyway it's good to know about them.