passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Daylight

DANGERMAN

I played through this over the weekend and it's out today so I thought I should do a thread. There's a ps4 version but I'm not sure when that's out, I think it's this week but I don't know for sure, and it's probably tied to whenever the store updates

I'm going to come out and say it, I don't really like Daylight. I streamed my first attempt at it and it was ok, I got stuck on the floor but it was in beta at that point, but it was sort of creepy. I found some stairs, I didn't really want to go down them because it felt ominous, there was a moment where the witch appeared behind a curtain, but as I approached she disappeared. The problem is all the other stuff, the random bangs, screams and wails, the cabinets toppling over and boxes falling, you learn really quickly that stuff is all toothless. Things got bad enough that I was killed by the witch because I didn't realise I could be, prior to that point there was no reason to run from her so I just stood there and eventually dropped down dead.

There were a couple of moments where the horror lands. I talked about it in the review and the video I'm going to stick below, but getting chased through a forest, hearing the witch gaining on me through my rear speakers was great, knowing that when I did stop to pick up a note she was going to be right behind me was effective. I jumped a couple of times when she appeared behind me, the first time was that first time I died, but once you've died she largely just becomes a nuisance, more of a problem because she might rob you of your progress

which is the problem with it, if you ignore the bits where it doesn't recognise you're trying to pick up items, open cabinets etc. The maze like areas are procedurally generated, so it's possible you will get unlucky and have a really difficult time finding the notes you need (6 notes reveals the key, the key opens the door to the next area). You'll be running around revisiting rooms you've already been in trying to find what you're missing, eventually you'll be killed and you'll do it again, still not finding whatever you missed. That's not fun, if I didn't have to play it I would have stopped at that point and never turned it back on again. If that does happen to you though you can exit the game and reload, you'll get a different map layout which might make more sense.

The story isn't great either. It's familiar ground, which is fine I guess, but because of the way it throws you in with no information everything you find is meaningless. It doesn't help that a lot of it really is meaningless, there's stuff there that seems really important but is just dressing, yet the person you need to be focussing on is referred to by a number.

It's had mixed reviews, which I'm kind of glad about because it means I'm not on my own, and I can see how it would work for people, it worked for me for about 10 minutes. It's not unthinkably bad though, it's just not fun