passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

EDGE #266 - Can Microsoft turn things around for Xbox One?

retroed

E266.jpg

Features
Can Microsoft Turn Xbox One Around?
An Audience With...Ken Lobb
Legendary
L'equipe Editorial (Ubisoft Paris Editors)
The Making of...Super Mario 3D World
Studio Profile Creative Assembly
Time Extend Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare

Hype
Below
Yakuza: Ishin
Murdered: Soul Suspect
Next Car Game
Totem
Chaos Reborn
Assassin's Creed Unity
Firewatch
The Forest
Gauntlet
Aztez

Play
Titanfall - 8
inFamous Second Son - 7
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - 9
Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z - 2
South Park: The Stick of Truth - 8
Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare - 5
Banished - 7
Towerfall Ascension - 8

Dat cover.

Time Extend is back. B)

One of the reasons the 360 was successful, and they might not like to admit it, but it was the work horse console of last gen. Dump the required Kinect, lower the price to compete with Sony and get some developers on board.

Stop with the Minority Report fantasy, it's not worth the hassle.

I've typed my thoughts in on this about 4 times now and just ended up with an incoherent mess of why MS have been fucking it up. If I can be bothered to reply later I'll probably come across as a snob because I think this is a mainstream issue.

Really they need to listen to the players. It's those folks that will make money for companies, not the mainstream who'll make money for a company.

It's because Ed is a massive fan boy Nag, he loves his CDi. To be fair to Edge, I dare say we've had enough WiiU articles, and it's not getting saved

It's interesting seeing the reactions to this across the net. Gaf took it fairly badly, saying it doesn't need saving. But they're mostly American where it is doing alright, in Europe it's getting annihilated. You'd see people from Spain and people from the states with completely different opinions

That aside my understanding is that the article is fairly positive, certainly compared to the title

I have a couple of mates who have the Xbox One who all describe it as a 'hot mess'. Both are unhappy with their purchase compared to the PS4.

Personally, I have never played on the Xbone so what I can see happening is only from what i've read and heard about (all first hand, never word of mouth/What's in the future for the fusion in the changer?/Rappers are in danger, who will use wits to be a remainder?)

The Xbox One seems like the result of a swollen head to me. The success of the 360 and all the things they did right led them to try to command the future of gaming but without the gaming community in mind. I think Microsoft will turn it around in the next couple of years with the inevitable exclusives helping to shift consoles but I think it's an attitude change that's needed the most.

Console releases, it is EITHER a resounding success or a total failure, impossible to be anything in between, and you must constantly assess which one it is, even if its just been released. Repeat ad infinitum.

I think both consoles were probably released a bit too early, but that seems to be the way now, if you want the console as it should be then get it a year later and you will have a decent selection of games and it will be a more reasonable priced. It really does come down to perception, but ultimately its just some ridiculous Zeitgeist now with the gaming industry where we are declaring this or that console 'dead'.

Shouldn't this question be aimed at the Wii U?.

I thought this, and someone pointed out to me just how much money nintendo have, and how much of an established market they have in the way of the DS/3DS

They're probably making enough interest that they could probably fill a shipping crate with wii-u's and throw them into the sea. It's a shame that nintendo didn't make more of a point of the wii-u being a new console entity, but even if they did, I don't think they would be able to re-create the hype machine that was the original wii.

I digress

Much like Sly has said, I've written a response to this a few times, but it falls into a meandering rant. MS need to pull focus on making a solid games console and supporting Devs, it's what made the 360 a success, instead they're getting too involved in trying to make slick adverts and trying to have a willy waving contest with sony.

It's kinda staggering the list of fixes that were in the last console 'update' and how much of this should have been day one functionality (no controller battery life indicator for example, wtf?). I personally still can't see the merit in upgrading to an xbox one over a 360, not yet anyway...

About upgrading from 360... The same could be said about PS3/PS4 at the minute. The fact I'm spending so much time playing my Vita at the minute tells me that neither console has killer apps yet.

I've put more hour into my Vita this week than I probably have into my xbox in the last month.

I'm holding out until September until I get a PS4 for Destiny, although with my current budgeting, perhaps I'm just going to have to settle for getting it on the 360...

About upgrading from 360... The same could be said about PS3/PS4 at the minute. The fact I'm spending so much time playing my Vita at the minute tells me that neither console has killer apps yet.

I'm not sure who you're replying to so I might be missing some point with this, but I agree with you. I think brand loyalty is a thing obviously, and I don't think it's necessarily stupid or wrong, but it's not like it's unbreakable. Granted, using you as an example you're playing your Vita because of the Final Fantasy brand, but that the dominant 'gamer' console was the 360 last gen, yet it seems to be the ps4 this gen, people must be willing to jump ship. Yeah there's things like gamerscores and you already paying for an account, but if you're ever going to jump it's going to be at the start of a new generation

I am starting to think maybe I'm using my Xbox One wrong... It boots up games and plays them without troubles, am I doing it wrong?.

A games console is a games console to me, I can live without all the other surplus shit.

tell that to Microsoft :)

I don't actually think MS need to do a lot, but at the same time there's a lot wrong, or at least it's a big kind of wrong. People buy hardware for software, Titanfall will probably show some increase in sales for the xbone, they need more of that and to find some price parity, which they've started to do.

The problem is that they will always be the least powerful console of the 2, and while that's not always mattered usually the least powerful console isn't coming from behind. I know someone who is working on 'The Cloud', he's convinced it's a game changer, so are a few diehards, but it feels like most people haven't bought in to it. There's a lot of problems and hurdles to overcome to get the cloud to be viable, and even then it may involve MS excluding some of their consumers, and it's going to take some time before it comes out. Which is their other problem, with the rate PS4s are selling time is a huge problem, at some point, if things don't change, you'll get developers leading with the PS4 as that's where the market is (in this scenario).

I think it depends how quickly MS can move, but I also have to think there's people that will just never pick one up now, people were really put off by them last year. Then you've got mainland Europe and Japan being write-offs, MS haven't done enough over the last few years to win those areas over and now they can't even compete there. They're basically trying to compete with Sony relying on only America/Canada and the UK

I have a couple of mates who have the Xbox One who all describe it as a 'hot mess'. Both are unhappy with their purchase compared to the PS4.

I have one mate who has jumped into next gen, he chose the XO. He regrets doing it. Even Titanfall isn't giving him the fun he thought it would.

On top of that, the XO doesn't like his voice. It just can't get to grips with his Yorkshire/Asian accent. Microsoft are racists! :o

It's probably a bit soon to be saying "can the Bone be turned round", as people can counter that with the "lol ps4 has no games".

Still, Kinect certainly isn't helping things. Sure, the PS4 camera is pretty much used for fuck-all unless you're streaming yourself strip your sleeping missus. But at least Sony don't make it mandatory.

Far as Titanfall goes, I've not played it, and don't feel I'm missing out. That's not me saying "it's bollocks". I put many enjoyable hours into COD, and imagine I would do so with TF. But with a ton of games on my backlog already, i'm good for now.

Like Nag, I didn't really notice any big problems with the xbox at first, more recently though, trying to play titanfall with friends I've noticed some pretty annoying things with the party system and the slow loading apps, but they're already turning it around with some recent updates, while numerous updates themselves are annoying, the party system has improved quite a bit, and stuff like the friends app seems to load much faster now. I've even started to use kinect sometimes. But stuff like that isn't going to sell more of them. They need more good exclusive games and/or a price cut. Titan fall is pretty awesome IMO (although I still prefer halo) but not a real system seller as it's on PC/360 too.

From a personal viewpoint next gen has been pretty annoying, it was a simple choice last gen, most of my friends were on xbox so multiplayer games were bought on that. Now everyone is all over the place, so the new trials game I want on ps4 to play with a friend, but want on xbox for the IMO better pad. Dilemma.

I don't have a problem with the ps3 pad, it's fine, and agree that the ps4 pad is ace. I just think the one pad is a bit better, has better triggers and the triggers are important in trials, hard to say which will be better until you've tried both with the same game though so it's just my guess at this point.

I find the PS3 pad to be utterly wanky. It's really just the thumbsticks, trying to go in one direction is not a challenge with any other controller. Trying to press L3/R3 without moving it in a direction is nigh on impossible. No issues with Wii U or 360, therefore wanky :)