passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Steam Thread

Hendo

yeah it's pretty fucking concerning to be honest. We trust all these companies with so much of our personal data and digital signature but we've never really had to deal with the fallout of when it goes tits up. It'll happen at some point, it's just a matter of time.

yeah it's pretty fucking concerning to be honest. We trust all these companies with so much of our personal data and digital signature but we've never really had to deal with the fallout of when it goes tits up. It'll happen at some point, it's just a matter of time.

Yeah. You have to remember that everything that gets spilled stays on the internet forever. For every leak that happens that you lose data in you're being opened to getting your ID stolen for whatever purposes increases as there's more pieces of the jigsaw to fill out. Even if it is the same data being breached each time it's reinforcing specifics on you. Any person willing to collate and filter can work out when your cards have expired, if you've moved house, if you've swapped electricity supplier. It doesn't matter if it's Sony, Steam, Carphone Warehouse, Talktalk, Boomerang or any of the other source. Putting data out there fuels the likelihood that fraud will happen. It's something which needs to be stopped.

You're right of course, Sly, but theres just no way round it in this digital-internet future we've made for ourselves.

Maybe I've read it wrong, but it wasn't an attack it was just a cock up on Valves end?

Yeah, you're right, it wasn't an attack, it was apparently a caching issue, no idea when it supposedly took place, but by the time I'd heard about it I'd already been on my account and had all my own info display in the account info screens.

Here's a fantastic video that explains the entire situation:

And a statement by a Steam Community Moderator:

Account information incorrect

We've gotten reports that people sometimes see other people's account information on the account page. Valve has been made aware of this and are working on a fix.

Some frequently asked questions:
- No, Steam is not hacked
- Creditcard info and phone numbers are, as required by law, censored and not visible to users on said page

25 Dec 2015, 23:16 GMT: The issue now appears to have been resolved, and the Steam Store is back online.

Valve Statement

Steam is back up and running without any known issues. As a result of a configuration change earlier today, a caching issue allowed some users to randomly see pages generated for other users for a period of less than an hour. This issue has since been resolved. We believe no unauthorized actions were allowed on accounts beyond the viewing of cached page information and no additional action is required by users.

Added by Spawn of Totoro:

Originally posted by
Pheace
:
Found a good video explaining what technically went wrong with the recent bug.

Didn't realise this only happened for an hour I must say, but does say the email addresses and card numbers were censored which is good.

I definitely saw some other guy's complete gmail address and steam wallet balance when I tried to log in. There were screenshots of someone being able view another users billing address for their card on reddit or gaf the other day.

I'm satisfied that I didn't lose anything, and nothing nefarious was done to my account, but that was a real fuck up. Steam is a bit of a mess in general, it's too big for them to keep acting like a bunch of amateurs.

Valve have finally shed light on what happened Xmas Day:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/12/30/10690368/valve-statement-steam-christmas-personal-information-exposure

Valve explains 'Steam's troubled Christmas,' says 34,000 users affected

Denial of service attack was at heart of Steam store problems

Valve issued a statement — and an apology — today about what happened to Steam on Christmas Day, when users of the platform were exposed to the personal account information of other users. At the root of the issue, which affected about 34,000 Steam customers, was a denial of service attack and a caching error, Valve said.

A configuration error was to blame, Valve said, for exposing "sensitive personal information."

"The content of these requests varied by page, but some pages included a Steam user's billing address, the last four digits of their Steam Guard phone number, their purchase history, the last two digits of their credit card number, and/or their email address," Valve said in a statement. "These cached requests did not include full credit card numbers, user passwords, or enough data to allow logging in as or completing a transaction as another user.

"If you did not browse a Steam Store page with your personal information (such as your account page or a checkout page) in this time frame, that information could not have been shown to another user."

Valve said it's working with its web caching partner to identify which Steam users were exposed during the 90-minute window on Dec. 25. The company said that "no unauthorized actions were allowed on accounts beyond the viewing of cached page information [and] no additional action is required by users."

The Steam store was the target of a denial of service attack on Christmas morning, Valve said. And while that kind of attack is "a regular occurrence that Valve handles both directly and with the help of partner companies," traffic to the Steam store increased 2,000 percent over the average traffic during the Steam Sale.

Valve's response to the attack resulted in the error that exposed its users' personal information, according to the company's statement:

In response to this specific attack, caching rules managed by a Steam web caching partner were deployed in order to both minimize the impact on Steam Store servers and continue to route legitimate user traffic. During the second wave of this attack, a second caching configuration was deployed that incorrectly cached web traffic for authenticated users. This configuration error resulted in some users seeing Steam Store responses which were generated for other users. Incorrect Store responses varied from users seeing the front page of the Store displayed in the wrong language, to seeing the account page of another user.

Once this error was identified, the Steam Store was shut down and a new caching configuration was deployed. The Steam Store remained down until we had reviewed all caching configurations, and we received confirmation that the latest configurations had been deployed to all partner servers and that all cached data on edge servers had been purged.

We will continue to work with our web caching partner to identify affected users and to improve the process used to set caching rules going forward. We apologize to everyone whose personal information was exposed by this error, and for interruption of Steam Store service.

• 1 year later...

Fingers crossed it doesn't lead to a torrent of shovelware (it's bad enough as it is), but that remains to be seen. That any idiot with $100 can potentially get their first Unity project on Steam doesn't fill me with with hope. 

A lot of the truly awful greenlight stuff comes out for free or near enough, with the intention of making money through the trading cards. I hope $100 upfront is enough to put most of them off, but it doesn't sound a lot. 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Steam Link boxes have been discontinued 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-11-20-valve-pulls-plug-on-steam-link-hardware

Valve has discontinued its Steam Link hardware, the device which lets you stream PC games onto your TV.

European stock of the gadget has already sold out, Valve said last night, with US supply "almost" gone too. No more will be made.

It's a little surprising to see the Steam Link hardware culled - the box was still receiving new features as recently as last month, when the ability was added to stream simultaneously to multiple devices and use Android phones as a touchscreen input.

But Steam Link has never become a mainstream product, despite Valve's best attempts to make it affordable via regular deep discounts. And, in the past six months, Valve has begun focusing on Steam Link software to do the same job for iOS and Android devices. It's these options Valve will continue to work on, without having the need to manufacture further Steam Link boxes.

"Moving forward, Valve intends to continue supporting the existing Steam Link hardware as well as distribution of the software versions of Steam Link," Valve concluded, "available for many leading smart phones, tablets and televisions."

• 8 months later...