passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Cool Video Game Shit

illdog

Wasn't sure whether to put this in here or the YouTube stars thread, as it kinda fits under both, but anyway.

I've just been talking to @Sly Reflexabout Fallout 76, and some of the shitty things they're doing, like making the ability to change Pipboy's colour an MTX. My instant question was 'what about gamers with visual disabilities'. This led to me mentioning a series on the Game Maker's Toolkit channel about making games better for various disabilities.

There are currently three in the series, hearing, visual and motor impairments. The creator even goes out of his way to consult with various companies about what's good, what's bad and what can change to make games more inclusive.

I've linked the first as normal and I'll put the others in spoilers. It's a good series though. People should definitely give it a look.

Spoiler

42 minutes ago, regemond said:

've just been talking to @Sly Reflexabout Fallout 76, and some of the shitty things they're doing, like making the ability to change Pipboy's colour an MTX.

This is wrong, but right at the same time.

You cannot change the colour at all. There's a lot of stuff like that that you can't change that you could in the previous games. It's quite apparent that they've taken stuff like that out so that eventually they can sell it back. The level up's look suspiciously like you'll be able to buy them as well, You open packs and get to choose perks. It's one of those instances when you go "Oh, they're going to go hard once the MTX get added in properly".

There's probably a fair bit of conversation on Bethesda's end on whether adding them would rock the boat too much, it's already about to capsize with the rough sea's it's found itself on.

It's a weird one isn't it. Some games are motion control games (or touch, or whatever), and that should be fine, that's what the game is. I think the problem is when it feels unnecessary, something you could just use an analogue stick for elsewhere. I don't think the likes of Nintendo are doing it out of spite or cynicism necessarily (the latter is more possible though), just that they're trying to encourage the technology they've put in their machine

Stuff like subtitles and colour blind modes should be in everything though, and button remapping 

16 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Wrt accessibility, it really annoys me that Nintendo don't allow you to completely disable motion controls in a lot of their games. It made some shrines in Zelda a headache and is ruining Pokémon let's go for me. Especially as the joycons motion control is gyroscope based and very fuzzy and innacurate.

I felt the same with Splatoon on WiiU. It'd be alright for ages and then it's start jerking about because the sensors were having a hard time reading and I'd get eye discomfort.

In Luigi's Mansion 2 there was a bit where it forced you to walk over a beam using motion controls as well. Sounds all well and good, but try doing it when you're laid in bed. Got Luigi diving about like Neymar.

Just watched through the three you linked @regemond. I learnt some stuff there I would have never really picked up on before.

The subtitles thing was spot on. When I'm on the PS4 at the asscrack having subtitles is a life saver, but it never occurred to me how bad some of them are.

You think with all this stuff they'd add another menu and just list it all under accessibility.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...