passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Windows 10

Uncle Dokuro

Just thought I'd add this. I wiped and reinstalled Windows 7 on my daughter's Acer laptop the other day as she was complaining about it running slow and glitchy. After doing the good old factory reset, I updated it to Windows 10 over the net. It got to the "checking for updates" part of the install and hung for ages. After about an hour (bearing in mind I have a very fast fibre internet connection) I force restarted the laptop, and tried again but made sure the WiFi was switched off. It went through fine that time, and I simply let it update after it was installed. I don't know why it hung though. The internet was fine, as I was farting around on another laptop at the time, just browsing eBay and the like.

Just one of those random glitches that infuriate us PC geeks.

• 2 months later...

Can't say I had those problems, and I do have it on my PC and laptop, but I had to take it off my work pc. 

Searching for files wasn't working properly, which may have sorted itself out over time. Certain functions broke (like I had to set which printer I was using every time otherwise it would print word documents on the label printer) , all sorts of minor things that I'd have been fine with if I hadn't spent 2 years doing it another's way. Didn't even last the workday with it

My experience with it has been incredibly smooth, I waited quite a while before I installed it (March this year) to iron out inevitable launch bugs.

I also don't really have a lot of stuff on my PC's hard/solid-state drives to potentially bugger it up, just a couple of games on the SSD along with the OS and quite a few games on the HDD, not many apps and I've no photos, music, itunes or anything on there to export over to W10.

It's not really a surprise Nag that you couldn't turn your PC on after considering you turned it off when it was installing (granted, if it had hung then you couldn't do much else other than wait some more).

Had you checked the recommended specs, here:

For the desktop version of Windows 10, the system requirements are almost identical to Windows 8.1. For a 32-bit OS, you will need 1 GB of RAM with 16 GB of storage space, and for a 64-bit OS, you will need 2 GB of RAM with 20 GB of storage space.

before the install? Also, is it possible you downloaded the wrong version of W10? 32-Bit instead of 64-Bit or vice versa?

And as for your new WiFi issues I assume in the aborted install your PC would've installed drivers, settings, files etc. for the transition to W10 and replaced a lot of the files, settings and drivers from W7 in the process, which is where the incompatibility issues come from.

I got a windows 8.1 tablet maybe a month ago, its got stickers on it that say it works well with windows 10 and everything. It failed to update to windows 10 twice. Then did a windows update, after that it updated to windows 10 fine. Apart from the camera stopped working, tried some random drivers and it started working again. Not that helpful but guess make sure you have all the windows updates first might be a good idea.