passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Windows 10

Uncle Dokuro

You don't need to install it right away.

Should be interesting to see how they deal with people doing factory resets. Maybe you get an activation code or something you 'own' so that you can re-update if you have to go through that process.

Having recently done a clean install of Window 8.1 on my machine, I'll describe how it was done/ I can't see Windows 10 being much different, and this was the first time I've done it this way.

When I bought Windows 8, I was given the usual serial key, and nothing else. So when my PC started to get a bit quirky, and I opted for a clean install, I went onto the Microsoft website, and after a bit of looking, and logging in with my Microsoft account details, I was given the link to a small download. Upon downloading it, and setting it going, it ran like a Windows installation from a disc. It gave me the option of a clean install with hard drive format, a clean install but saving my old installation in the Windows.Old folder, or and update/repair of what I had running. I opted for the clean install, the program downloaded what it needed in the background, and restarted my PC. after that, it installed like it always has.

When Windows 8.1 was released one year after Windows 8, it was only offered through the then new Windows Store, there has never been any disc image download for 8.1 update. They simply stopped the Windows 8 disc images one day, and put out full Windows 8.1 the next. This mean't Windows 8.1 installed on top of Windows 8 itself, and in the process of this update, installed the new OS, with Windows 8 being moved to the Windows.Old folder. All the apps, settings, and files were carried across. I can see the Windows 10 update working like this. What this means is the Windows 8.1 upgrade was actually a clean install itself.

It was also at this time we were introduced to Reset and Refresh.

Reset mean't that all of your information was removed from the PC, and Windows returned to it's "Out Of The Box" configuration, requiring you to go through the process of setting up your user account, including re-installation of all your apps and programs. By using an online Microsoft account, this was made much easier, as Windows will take snapshots of your settings, and back them up online. When you logged back in, It would start to set up for you.

Refresh on the other hand retained all of your files, reinstalled your apps but reset Windows settings to clear up any configuration related issues you might be experiencing. Any desktop related apps had to be reinstalled separately. There was no need to go back through the entire setup process to get logged in as your account was still on the machine.

I'm sure there will be a way to download a disc image file to burn to disc, or put on USB media. The method I described above will only work if your current installation is working well enough to use the internet, or you have a good internet connection. Although Windows is much more stable than ever, there are still times when it just won't work.

I'll probably just do the upgrade, I haven't got that much stuff on my PC, just games really but I just can't be bothered to re-install everything from Steam, GOG et al. so I'll just be doing the upgrade/repair I think or the refresh maybe, just hope I don't have the problems I had upgrading from Windows XP to Windows Vista 9 or 10 years ago, my PC back then was barely on the limit of the specs for Windows Vista and when I upgraded to it, it pretty much ruined my PC and meant it ran at an absolute snails pace, so reverted to XP almost straight away, won't be making the same mistake again!

I'll probably just do the upgrade, I haven't got that much stuff on my PC, just games really but I just can't be bothered to re-install everything from Steam, GOG et al. so I'll just be doing the upgrade/repair I think or the refresh maybe, just hope I don't have the problems I had upgrading from Windows XP to Windows Vista 9 or 10 years ago, my PC back then was barely on the limit of the specs for Windows Vista and when I upgraded to it, it pretty much ruined my PC and meant it ran at an absolute snails pace, so reverted to XP almost straight away, won't be making the same mistake again!

Blakey, the great thing about Windows builds from Windows 7 onward, is the operating specs have remained pretty much the same throughout. Through better program optimization, and other hidden wizardry, a PC that can run Windows 7 comfortably, will run Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 to the same spec. I remember upgrading to Vista myself, and having the same problem. I too reverted to XP, and pretty much ended up skipping Vista altogether. I became a beta tester for Windows 7, but by this time I had more meat in my machine.

I was under the impression that this is a free upgrade but I got told today that it's only the first year free then you have to pay yearly subscriptions?

I might wipe my machine soon anyway, or at least upgrade with an SSD drive.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2015/may/28/five-questions-about-free-upgrade-microsoft-windows-10

Will Windows 10 expire?

I read somewhere that the free upgrade to Windows 10 will expire after one year and that the user will then have to pay for the upgrade. Is this so?

No, that’s completely wrong. Once you have installed Windows 10 and made a note of your product key, it’s yours forever. Well, you can use it until Microsoft stops supporting it, which is usually 10 years.

Blakey, the great thing about Windows builds from Windows 7 onward, is the operating specs have remained pretty much the same throughout. Through better program optimization, and other hidden wizardry, a PC that can run Windows 7 comfortably, will run Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 to the same spec. I remember upgrading to Vista myself, and having the same problem. I too reverted to XP, and pretty much ended up skipping Vista altogether. I became a beta tester for Windows 7, but by this time I had more meat in my machine.

Cool, thanks for the info, Vista was notoriously shite, god knows what made me go out and get the upgrade pack on release :lol: reverting back to XP was like a breath of fresh air after almost crashing my PC with Vista...I was only 15 at the time so that's my excuse anyway... :lol:

My new rig came with 8.1 and I'm quite pleased with it (even like the Start menu tiles surprisingly) so I am somewhat reluctant to do the upgrade but as long as it's not riddled with bugs and stuff I'm sure it'll be safe enough to do so, that and DX12 mmmmm :D

• 3 weeks later...

It's just been announced on Maximum PC that anyone currently running the Windows 10 preview before the full release in July will also get a free upgrade. So if you are still running Windows XP or Vista, pop along to Microsoft and get the Windows 10 preview installed, and you can join in the freebie goodness next month.

• 1 month later...

None of my windows machines have updated yet, there is a way to force the update if youare so inclined. Iusd the developer preview for a bit and thought it was pretty good, although the touch interface (on a surface pro) was junk at that point. Hopefully it's been updated now.