passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Windows 10

Uncle Dokuro

It's now reported that Project Threshold is not an update to Windows 8 like previously thought but Windows 9, which will release April 2015. Windows 9 will use Metro 2.0 and further push the one OS across multiple devices - PC, Phones, Tablets and Xbox One.

Microsoft is currently working on an "Update 1" for Windows 8.1, but the company has bigger plans for the future of Windows as part of a "Threshold" wave of updates. Windows watcher Paul Thurrott reports that the company’s Threshold plans will involve a release of Windows 9 around April 2015. Microsoft will allegedly unveil its vision for Windows 9 at the company’s Build 2014 developer conference in April, with a release planned for a year later.

It appears that Microsoft is currently planning to use the Windows 9 branding and vision as a way to move away from some of the criticisms of the Windows 8 operating system. It’s not immediately clear what type of changes will be made to Windows 9, but "Metro 2.0" inside the new OS will reportedly include a major focus on improving Microsoft’s new app world and tiles. Previous rumors have suggested Microsoft is planning to separate out its Windows 8-style ("Metro") apps to allow them to float and run in separate windows on the traditional desktop. The Verge understands Microsoft is also planning a Start menu return for Windows 9, but that the company may deliver this early in a second "Update 2" for Windows 8.1 later this year.

Microsoft will reportedly use three major milestone development points for Windows 9, but it’s not clear how many of them will be released to the public during the development period. The software maker is currently in the final planning stages for Windows 9 and work is expected to begin after the Build 2014 developer conference in April. It sounds like Microsoft will use Build 2014 as a launch point for its vision of Windows 9, detailing some of the planned changes in an attempt to generate excitement around the company’s future plans.

Windows certainly needs excitement, Windows 8-style apps, and innovation if Microsoft is to succeed with its vision of a hybrid tablet and desktop operating system. If Microsoft manages to pull off a Windows 9 release with significant improvements over Windows 8 then that may relegate Windows 8 to a Vista-like release in the minds of consumers. The company clearly isn’t confident with any continued use of the Windows 8 brand in the same way that Apple does with its OS X point releases. While there will be further tweaks to Windows 8.1 shortly, Windows 9 looks to be the next major release.

• 1 month later...

With the confirmed release of Windows 9, and because I've not posted here for a while, I thought I'd let you know what I would want from Windows 9. This is coming as a tester of operating systems, and as a guy who still uses Windows 7 over 8.

Windows 8 hasn't exactly been a stunning success. Fewer than 12 percent of PCs run Windows 8 or 8.1, compared with 47 percent for Windows 7 and 29 percent for XP. It's still more than Mac OS X and Vista combined, but that's small consolation. So I'm already looking forward to Windows 9, which will hopefully continue the traditionfirmly entrenched in both Windows and Star Trek chronologyof coming out with something good every other go.

1) Windows 8 has it's modern UI, and it was implemented to have a consistent look over many devices, so it could sell more phones and tablets. However, I have a hi-res monitor, and use a mouse and keyboard. So, I'm left wondering why there's so much white space on the Modern UI apps, such as Xbox Music? I would prefer to use these apps, some of which are very good, as windows on the desktop please. Without having to buy a 3rd party program to do it.

2) Direct X. Did you know that as a PC gamer, using Windows 7, I'm limited on my Direct X version. In a similar way to when Halo 2 was released as a Windows Vista exclusive, Direct X 11.2 can only run on Windows 8.1. Fuck that! I shouldn't have to spend up to £100 just to get the latest gaming architecture. In fact why is Direct X tied to windows builds at all? Maybe Steam OS is the way forward for gaming.

3) Touch Screen. Grrr! Why can't Windows 8 detect that I have no touch devices installed? I can't afford a big touch screen monitor. If there's no touch device installed, don't give me "Tap here to close" commands.

4) Windows 8 tried to decimate the traditional desktop. Windows 8.1 backtracked on that slightly. I would have been more inclined, back in the day, to use Windows 8 if it's Modern UI was an option, instead of bring forced into it. I understand many people like the Modern UI, but I'm not one of them. I've ran every version of Windows since Windows 2. Every single version had the desktop interface that was perfected with Windows 95. There's a reason why it was successful.

5) When Windows 8 came out, game developers were worried that Microsoft would say the only way to sell PC games on the Windows platform was through Windows Store. That hasn't happened yet, thankfully. But it was enough for Valve to start working on Steam OS. I would say don't mess with it Microsoft. Steam and Origin continually posts excellent sales figures. The open nature of the PC is the reason why PC gaming lives with stand alone games, and the Steam/Origin digital distribution services. This is why 90% of computers worldwide run Windows. Windows Store could work as a competitor for Steam and Origin, and Microsoft has the muscle to get the exclusives. Although I can't see Microsoft doing a Christmas sale like Steam does.

6) Let Games for Windows Live stay dead.

7) The Xbox 360 wired controller was possibly one of the best things to happen with PC gaming in recent years. It's certainly the best PC controller I've ever used. How about native support for Xbox One controllers?

8) And finally, the ten foot interface. What I mean by this is an interface that can be seen easily, and operated from ten feet away or more. Like on your Xbox 360, or the Steam Big Screen mode. You see, this is where Windows 8's Modern UI system should have excelled. So how about keeping a version of Modern UI just for that. It could be controlled by game controller, a remote control, or an Xbox Kinect system. Windows used to have a really good one. It was called Windows Media Centre.

For point 8 the home button on the 360 pad could switch to it

Anyway, I'm posting because they're going to be talking about dx12 soon, and I'm fairly sure that will be unavailable on win 7. The problem is no one used dx10 because that was locked away, no one uses 11.2 (I can't name a single game that supports it). If they wanted to ensure uptake they'd be better off supporting windows 7

Anyway, I'm posting because they're going to be talking about dx12 soon, and I'm fairly sure that will be unavailable on win 7. The problem is no one used dx10 because that was locked away, no one uses 11.2 (I can't name a single game that supports it). If they wanted to ensure uptake they'd be better off supporting windows 7

I like your idea about the home button. :P

DX12 better be amazing, because I don't see the point in it with OpenGL and AMD Mantle on the marketplace.

I use Windows 8 exclusively on the old style desktop, using a third party workaround before 8.1 came out.

I hate the Metro desktop and I hope they're not stupid enough to do the same thing again and force you to use it.

So to expand on my original reply now I have time and a keyboard. I actually quite like metro, I certainly don't hate it. I'm approaching it like I would the screen on my phone (I get a bit obsessive about organising the screen on my phone..).

First thing I did was remove everything, then gradually start adding stuff back in i use all the time, grouping them together and making some of them to small launch icons (for example the 4 office applications I use, I've grouped into the size of one normal tile). I've then added shortcuts to some settings stuff that they try to keep you away from (that annoyed me..) and separate areas for things like games and utilities.

I now use it pretty intuitively. Some of the full screen apps bug me (the photo one especially) but I think I've managed to weed most of them out now.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

windows10-v1-620x369.png?hash=MQD1LGL1BQ

One OS to rule them all. Today Microsoft reveled Windows 10 (Yes, they are skipping Windows 9) and it will run all Microsoft devices from phones, tablets, laptops, desktops and yes even Xbox One. You can see the mock up for Xbox One future Windows 10 powered dash in the photo up top.

The reason it will be called Windows 10 and not 9 is it will be last major version of Windows as they are going cross-platform.

It's going to be the last major version of Windows and Microsoft wanted to signify it will be a big and cross-platform release.

Also, Microsoft will open up it's perview site for people who want to test the enterprise technical preview version tomorrow.

You can read the whole thing here

• 3 months later...

Windows 10 was confirmed yesterday as a free upgrade to anyone running a non pirated registered version of Windows 7 or 8, and their various service packs. This is for the first twelve month only. Also, though not made quite clear in the presentation, there will be no subscription model after twelve months. What this means is you get the latest version for free completely, and it will have the same Microsoft support as always. After twelve months, if you've not upgraded, it will need to be purchased. New PC buyers will have it included within the price of the PC, and non Windows 7 and 8 users can purchase from day one.

• 4 months later...

Nah. Ben said it's to do with having automatic updates.

I've not pulled it down yet, I think I'll wait a few months and see if 10 is any good before taking the plunge. 7 sees me alright, never had any issues with it.

Yeah, got the icon in my taskbar now....kinda wanted to wait to see what W10 is like with bugs and compatibility issues before taking the plunge and upgrading but I guess it can't hurt to reserve it ready for July 29th.