passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sly's St(r)eam Tombola Thread: Metal Hellsinger

Sly Reflex

Just back to OF:DR, yeah, I was thinking back on the last mission for some reason and I think I made it worse in my head than it actually is. And the more I think about the game itself the more I remember, as much as a cunt it could be in certain situations, it was actually pretty good. The fuck ups aren't enough to make you stop playing, instead you just want to punch the developer in the face and then carry on playing. It sort of gets under your skin.

Next game to play is...

The Testament of Sherlock Holmes. I'm guessing this isn't going to be a FPS.

I played Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack The Ripper on 360 a couple of years ago. Despite being obviously very low budget, it was a very entertaining adventure game.

I hope they have the Baker Street Irregulars (the street urchins that assist Holmes) in this one, they were amazing.

I think Flashpoint would be a better game in co-op. I've not actually uninstalled it as there's a chance I'll get to play some co-op on it in the coming weeks. I found the game quite rewarding overall, especially when an enemy position would be called out and I could fire exactly where the bullet would hit them in the head.

I've been warned that the Sherlock game is a pile of crap, although it came from someone who's heavily into whoring achievements which I think sometimes can cloud his vision on the big picture. It's no big deal if it is crap, I'll just move onto the next game. I have very low expectations of the game so it might turn out alright.

I just did the first 10 minutes/tutorial part. It's deadly serious in its presentation, then it comes out with the most ludicrous thing ever.

Basically some jewels have been stolen in a locked room. You look at the case and it's been etched to get the necklace out. There's soot all over the floor. The bell was pulled while nobody was in the locked room. The robber tried to carve his way out the glass window with the diamond he used to steal the jewels. Small handprints are found in soot on some sheet music. A suspected hiding place is find behind a dressing screen. A dead fish is found in a fish tank. Nearby is a candle that's fallen out of the chandelier. So you go around and then some guy from Scotland Yard comes in and asks if you've solved it and Watson says he thinks it's an acrobat. Then Holmes drops the bomb.

A man has trained a monkey to wait behind the screen until everyone is gone, then use a diamond to cut the glass case open and steal the necklace. On it's way to escape by cutting the window open it knocks over some shit and starts a fire. The monkey panics as it's trying to cut a hole in the window to escape and when it's interrupted it runs across the piano and jumps into the chandelier to hide, knocking out the candle. When it makes the leap it drops the necklace into the fish tank killing a fish. All this was done by a guy controlling the money with a high pitched whistle. The monkey escapes once the door is open. Somehow. I don't fucking know.

Exactly how much opium were these guys on? It sounds like a Vic and Bob sketch. :lol:

Skip to just after 9 minutes to see the explanation. You should probably watch the start so the kids can fuel your nightmares.

I think this is going to go into the Gaming Room 101. There's nothing I like about it. It's sort of like a Profesor Layton with no charm. That and the puzzles are obscenely difficult. You wander around collecting clues, then it throws a puzzle at you and you can sit 20 and 30 minutes putting pieces into a chessboard or some shit before you can carry on. It has these weird process of elimination things as well where you have to piece the story together, but the options it gives you are all viable, so I just sort of slotted them altogether until the game said I could carry on.

It's not my cuppa. I doubt I'll be playing on.

It's one of the best twin stick shooters there is. :)

It also likes to crash intermittently for no reason at all. :(

I enjoyed what I played, but I think it's time to move onto the next game. Something I can progress with that's not going to crash every 15 minutes. Shame really, I was enjoying what bit I got to play.

Next game is HOARD.

HOARD's one of those games that's like an early XBLA release in that it's not particularly bad, but it's not particularly good either. It's sort of disposable, you play for 10 minutes here or there but there's not really enough to make you dedicate any serious time to it. I bet in vs it's a laugh as it has the same premise of the Worms games in that alliances can be formed and broken on the spot.

It also spits achievements, only played for about 45 minutes and it's given me 25 achievements. I can't remember the last time a game did that.

I actually like this. In no way am I saying it's the best game in the world, but it's sort of got that quality that's hard to pin down.

Humans can kill you almost instantly if they touch you and often patrol the tiles outside of cities. If you harass a city without razing it, that city will provide you with gold by sending a marked cart to you hoard so you don't have to do anything other than protect that city until it has enough archers around it, then watch as the carts come rolling home. Of course you can get locked out of a city when a rival manages to do the same thing, but there's no stopping you teaming up with the others or even just killing the carts and looting them on their trip.

This is just one part of the game, there's actually quite a lot of depth to it. It sold me a right dummy when I started playing it, but the underlying game is solid.

I gifted you that as it's co-op. I'm finishing work in the morning for my 4 days off so we'll have to organise a session or two as I've barely played it.

According to HLTB it's about 10 hours long. We should be able to bash our way through if you can get on for some long sessions. Holla me when you're free and easy.

• Sly Reflex changed the title to Sly's St(r)eam Tombola Thread: Metal Hellsinger