passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Boson X

HandsomeDead

I've been playing this a lot the last couple of days so I'm talking about it.

It's another endless runner for your phone (or PC, if you want) but this one is actually pretty interesting and a lot of fun.

You are a scientist who decided to fire himself down the Hadron Collider and use himself to find the Boson Particle. It's a really cool and dumb premise but it makes for a high speed runner with an abstract style which mostly looks pretty good. I think the only thing I don't like is the running animation which continues the dorky running tradition also used by Temple Run, which I believe was started by that guy in Syphon Filter. But he (or she, you can pick a she in the options) is a scientist so a dorky run is more understandable.

But a part from the premise which appealed to me, there is another thing: Boson X must of been paying attention to Super Hexagon because there are some similarities in the design which make it more fun that your average 3D runner.

Like Super Hexagon it is random but there is also a pattern to the parts of the run so it's a case of learning and knowing how to react to these random 'phases', for lack of a better word.

It's also similar in how it sets out its goals. In Boson X you have to try and run on blue paths that increase a percentage, and also your speed, and getting to 100% makes the level change colour and your speed dramatically increases; then it's just a case of surviving... it's essentially the same as what happens in SH after you cross 60 seconds. When you hit 100% you unlock the next level but there is that leaderboard making you want to keep going on earlier levels.

It's a cool game... not as cool as Super Hexagon, but it's a fine effort. It's not quite as tight as that or as inventive with its challenge but not many games of that ilk are. It's free on PC so it's certainly worth a look for a few minutes to see what you think. I also think it's easily worth the £1.50 on iOS/Android. And it has none of that grinding, coin collecting, perk management and microtransaction bollocks of most runners. It's a nice game.