passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Bravely Default Flying Fairy

DANGERMAN

I would ordinarily put this in the demo thread but stuff from the demo carries over in to the main game, and I'll be picking up the main game in a few weeks too anyway (hopefully)

Bravely Default is a bit like an old Final Fantasy game, you have a team of 4 and you get to set jobs for each of them, each with their own styles and skills. I've never really clicked with job systems, I'd rather the game just give me a mage, sage, all rounder and tank, with job systems I always feel like I'm using them wrong.

The Bravely Default aspect comes from the battle system, every turn you take spends a BP (battle point), you start at 0 so your first turn takes you to -1, but when you're turn ends you're back to 0. If you 'default' then you skip a turn and stock up a BP, which would mean you can take multiple turns next time. If you select 'Brave' you get to take multiple turns, if you don't have the BP stocked up you wont be able to act for your next turn, or how ever many it takes for that character to get back to 0

seriously, it's not as complicated as it reads, hopefully it makes sense if you watch the video, it certainly started to make more sense to me once I got past the tutorial text and got in to a fight. In terms of use, if you needed to heal and cure someone of poison, then you might use 'brave' to give your healer 2 turns to do both.

there's some 'build a town' stuff in there too. It's not the hub town, it's more a way to add items to vendors, and it takes real time. I hadn't done it in the video, but I've now opened up more weapons, which means I can take on a boss for a mission, which will hopefully mean more items to take in to the full game.

It looks fucking great too, really good use of 3D

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone got it? I have, and it's a cracker!

Game mechanics - excellent. I love the default/defend setting allowing you to save up multiple moves. Lots of variety in classes, and eases you in. Tactical.

Story - a little by the numbers, but fun characters and quite involving.

Graphics - Fuck me! Best use of 3D so far if you ask me! Mindblowingly good in some places. Battle sequences are quite good, dungeon areas better, but where it totally blows my mind are the cities. It's like having your fave Mediterranean city watercolour light up in full 3D in your lap, be it a close up street shots, or a pull back of the whole vista.

Recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just used you as a summon Shao

I'm not far in, I'm in the fight where you get your 4th party member. I liked the job system in the demo, but it's slow on this one. I have the Monk job but haven't assigned it to anyone because when there was only 2 characters it seemed stupid to set one of them on a path that gave them no weapons, now there's 4 people I might give it to one of them

I hate the english language voices in this, I'm not sure where the option is to change but I'll have to find it at some point. Similarly I've not really messed with the summons and stuff, but I managed to get 5 people added except Shao, they're just randoms from the internet,not sure how that worked but whatever, at least I have more people to start work on my town

I've played more of this now and I think I understand everything, in fact I've played enough of it over the past week that I'm going to take a couple of days off from it

There's special moves in the game you can earn by fulfilling requirements. It's different for each weapon so if you have a sword character everytime they use Brave 10 times they get to do a special move (which you can store, and save up for a level 2 more etc). Initially they're just more powerful attacks, not really all that special, but once you've rebuilt the town a bit you can go in to the special move menu and add abilities to it. So your sword special move might deal fire damage too, boost your attack power, and inflict silence

I've also shifted the jobs about a bit so that I've got a couple of characters that can do a variety of spells. I had 2 fighters and 2 mages, one using white magic one using black. The white mage could already do some black magic, just level one stuff though, so I trained one of my fighters as a white mage for a while so she can use up to level 3 white magic, same for my white mage using black magic, so I can spread the burden of magic out a bit. Aside from that though I'm still not really seeing a lot of reason to switch, I have just unlocked an extra trait slot, so I can have (for example) 10% physical damage reduction and not be harmed by traps in dungeons, I think there was 3 slots in the demo, I'm up to 2 now, I suspect there'll be more than 3 by the end.

Also I've bought some time magic spells but haven't found the job that uses them yet, although I'm currently fighting inside a giant clock, so I might be about to pick up that job. I've also had a slight issue with over-levelling. I did a really tough dungeon then had to fly across the map. The new dungeon I had to go in was pretty tough and I didn't have enough magic to beat the boss, so instead of fighting it I left, healed, and made a return visit. I then had to go back to the previous dungeon and beat a boss, he's supposed to be a demon of legend but he was about as hard as a standard fight (largely because of what he was weak to). Seeing a cutscene where the characters are panting and saying how they only just survived when you took the piss out of the boss is a bit jarring

Anyway, it continues to be a really good game

• 4 weeks later...

made the switch to Japanese language last night, I should probably have done it sooner. The UK cast aren't terrible, he actors don't do a lot wrong, but their voices sound 'younger', so it comes across as a bit whiny at times. Take Ringabel for instance, I hate him, he's sleazy, I think they're going for him being a lothario. The Japanese voice though is deeper and gruffer, it maybe doesn't fit the child-like art and blonde hair as well as the english voice, but he's less creepy, more of a loser. It's still a gag they go to way too often, 90% of his lines are him him saying how much he likes women, they should have got Kanye West to do the voice.

The game itself is long, very long. I've maybe been dawdling more than I should have, and the option is there to drop the difficulty and the encounter rate, but I'm above 30 hours played and have just started chapter 3 (of at least 5). The plot could do with a bit more bite to it. There's 4 elemental crystals, they've all been corrupted, so you are helping the vestal of wind to reignite them all. There's a strong nation that doesn't like the vestals and their religious guff and so are trying to kill Agnes the vestal. In your party too is the daughter of the king/emperor of this nation, a fact I thought was revealed early and repeatedly in the game, but the in game characters have only just clocked it despite being told by 4 or 5 bosses already.

and that's the problem, it's a bit slow moving plot wise. It's not free from deaths, but it's just a bit twee and neutered. Where I am now is a war torn nation so hopefully things get a bit grittier, or at least the change in language helps the tone.

I've also taken a screen from it on the 3DS. If you want to see how good this game can look have a look at it on the 3DS miiverse, this looks a bit blurry lifting it from the web

04jj4.jpg

• 11 months later...

I started this. 4 hours in and I've actually died and had to restart a few times already.

So, I did a bit of grinding and now I am marginally more competitive.

I think this is going to be my last JRPG. Doing the same battles over and over as characters level up at a snails pace isn't as fun as it used to be. I plan to stick with it, although Captain Toad will bounce through my letterbox in the next few days/weeks and he may win me over...

Saying all that, I sat down lat night for a quick go and three hours later I was about ready to sleep.

I dunno what it is, I hate the fact that I am repeating the same thing over and over but then that little reward you get with a new level is the glazed carrot on that stupid stick that just keeps me going...

I killed my first proper boss I'd say, stupid bastard didn't know I had magic did he?! Thought all that armour would protect him! Ha :D

• 1 month later...

Well this got tougher...

After slating it earlier I thought I'd sit down and have another crack. 3 hours gone again, lol.

I'm trying a side quest that involves an oasis, the boss seems to be tough as nails. Potion after potion, it's no fair. I have a plan for next time I try, we'll see.

I think that's it's full title. I have no idea, although I know that there is a fairly on the save screen (I forget who that is now, maybe nobody).

I guess it's also so they have FF (Final Fantasy) suggested somewhere...

Well im going to wait for a bit anyway so will check back on this thread. Ive just seen people say that they have been putting 100 odd hours into the game, which is insane, so I might actually hold off something this long in favour of something that I can actually do in less time...