passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The iPhone killer? A thread for Android phones

Hendo

This is the one I have - http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2828369.htm

Slightly more than some other places, but I needed it fast and they had it available and I didn't have to pay right away.

Edit: They do the 5" version for a tenner less. No 4G but does have a better camera. Depends what size you want, really! The 4.5" felt small at first, especially going from the monster Note 3, but I'm used to it already and like the compact size.

That's the badger I've been looking at! my current phone is 4.1", so 4.5" is only slightly different size.

I've seen that phone for as little as £140.

I was hoping that after the announcement of the new nexus phones, that the ond ones would drop right off in price, but that doesn't seem to be happening yet :(

Apparently my Note 3 could have water damage in the micro USB port. Not sure how, but hey. Up to 14 working days to be returned, what! It could be chargeable too, but hopefully not.

I have a Motorola G now. It's pretty good. Downloaded my Google profile and apps whilst eating Burger King before work. Aww yeah.

You'll have to let me know what's it's like mate. That's the model i'm getting for Christmas from the Enemy Wife.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Got an upgrade due in a couple months time.

Can't decide between the S6 Edge, LG G4 or HTC One M9, all decent by what I've read and watched on the net but none of them really excite me all that much really, also had a look at the new Blackberry classic, never had one before and am intrigued by them, but I'm probably nuts even thinking about it with all the trouble Blackberry are in.

If the G4 is anything like the G2 it'll be a steaming pile of ass with the worst software imaginable.

My uncles got a bb classic which I set up for him the other weekend. It looks and feels amazing. If you want something as a business type phone and you hate touch screens, it would be a great piece of technology.

Yeah, I was considering getting a G2 myself when my last upgrade was due but went with an Xperia Z1 in the end (has served me well), read a few reviews for the G4 though and it seems almost on par with the S6 Edge and HTC One M9 really, but none of these really excite me. That's partly why I was considering the Blackberry, because I've never owned one, and it would be something different, I had iPhones prior to 2011 and wouldn't go back there so Blackberry would be my only outlet to get something a bit different than the Android phones, but then I don't know if I'm nuts even considering them considering their waning popularity and lack of apps.

• 1 month later...

Well the Samsung Unpacked event on the 12th August has been and gone, I was hoping/expecting the Note 5 to be announced (which it did) and that a UK release date would be announced of late August/mid-September, just in time for my upgrade...but, alas, Samsung in their infinite wisdom have decided not to sell the Note 5 in Europe, and instead focus on the Galaxy S6 Edge+, it still looks bloody lovely, but there's something about that stylus on the Note that just appealed to me.

I was considering the Note 4, but I think it is probably a bit slow now compared to the latest flagships, also looked at the LG G4 but think I've made my decision to get the S6 Edge+, hopefully be able to order it on Friday if all things go well.

• 1 month later...

After debating about whether to go for an iPhone or another Android, I decided to get a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge. I love it.

Spigen Neo Hybrid case arrived this morning. Complements the phone very well, allowing full access to the Edge's screen , as well as providing decent protection all-round. I doubt I'll go for a screen protector, never like the look or feel with them and the Corning Gorilla glass 4 seems very durable. Loving the finger print recognition, and that camera is phenomenal. Double-tap the home button and the camera loads up instantly (0.7 seconds actually, but wow). I've had Samsungs in the past (Galaxy S2, Note 3) and never been a massive fan of them but this is a step above. It feels premium with the glass front and back and the metal edging, the OS isn't anywhere near as bloated as before, and everything just works really fast with minimum fuss.

vviuJWx.jpg

BdBtXeu.jpg

do i-phones work with a chomecast?

I'm seeing a lot of older i-phones popping up on gumtree and the like with fubar batteries.

I'm not bothered about taking stuff apart to fix it, and it's a damn cheap way to get a last-gen i-phone, which I'm sure would function more than adequately after a factory reset (or for a pre-teen who will probably be at the age soon where forum is of higher importance than function)

If iphone users can change their ring and text tones they certainly don't, it's maddening hearing the same ringtones constantly

on the NFC stuff, my M8 has it, I could have used it for google checkout and paypal (I think), but didn't really want to set my phone up to make it that easy to take money out of my account just in case. The best use of it, in theory, was that you could send files to other devices (music, films), I never got it to work though

on the android note, but kind of removed, I'm kind of tempted by the Fire stick. I've got Prime, not sure I'll keep it beyond the 12 months unless I can find a deal, but having something I can leave in the front room that can use Prime, Netflix, iplayer, plus side load football/tv/movie streaming is kind of tempting. Might just wait it out until the inevitable Black Friday deal though

I've had NFC on my cards for ages now. I've only ever used it a few times since 2010 or whenever it started getting put on cards. I'm kind of surprised all phones don't come with the ability.

Quite a few Android phones have had it for a while, I believe my S3 had it back in 2011/12 but I may be wrong, I know my Xperia Z1 had it for sure, but I never used it on my phone I must say, just my contactless card for time to time for Ronald and Subway and places like that mainly, I know you can use it with Google Checkout and/or Paypal but never tried it, I'm waiting for Samsung Pay, because that doesn't rely solely on NFC, it has MST too, so you can use it with ANY card machine.

galaxy s4 mini.

The camera is guff, struggles to focus on anything closer than about 2 feet away and teh picture are often blurry in anything other than bright daylight.

The wife has an HTC one mini 2, and the camera in that makes mine look like a Fischer-Price My First Camera.

Ahh right yeah, fair enough, not heard great things about Samsung's 'budget' phones. I'd highly recommend the 2015 or 2014 Moto G, meant to be the best 'budget' phone on the market if that's what you're after, got some scintillating reviews that's for sure.