passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The iPhone killer? A thread for Android phones

Hendo

What is it? I can't see. :lol:

I'm pretty sure with each update they've shagged my camera on my current (past?) phone. Although tbh, I do move it because it think it's amusing that you all put up amazingly clear pictures and I like to fight against that trend by moving the camera as it's taking the picture for blur-o-vision. I don't think I can do that on the new phone though.

And yes, it's a HTC One mini.

Also noticed a couple of my most used apps have slight issues with the latest versions of android (mort audiobook player for example).

I use Mortplayer Audiobook player myself. I'm running Android 4.2 (my Sony is waiting for the upgrade after Xmas), but I've been getting problems with the player too. I listen to audiobooks at work, and I've used Mortplayer for ages. Now, I'm getting random crashes and playback errors. Thankfully, Mortplayer always remembers it's last played point.

I don't know if this is just an S3 thing or something for all android phones, but there's a new version of the OS out. My housemate is on 3, I'm on EE, but we both got it today (both have S3s). So far all I can see that it's done is change how some icons look and turn various things on I didn't want on like Sbeam

I don't know if this is just an S3 thing or something for all android phones, but there's a new version of the OS out. My housemate is on 3, I'm on EE, but we both got it today (both have S3s). So far all I can see that it's done is change how some icons look and turn various things on I didn't want on like Sbeam

It was the update rolling out Samsung's version of 4.3. I got it too. It changed the look of a few things that I preferred previously, like the standard clock widget on my home screen, and now text messages appear on my lock screen for some reason.

• 1 month later...

The Nokia X .... Microsoft's Android powered smart phone.

After Nokia's big announcement of the brand-new X series, we had a chance to sit down with Stephen Elop, the executive VP of Devices for the company. Naturally, the company's decision to crank out an Android device was a matter of great curiosity for us. Most importantly: Did Microsoft agree to this from the beginning, or did Nokia's acquirer go into this idea begrudgingly? According to Elop, it's the former. "Microsoft bought the Mobile Devices division," Elop told us, "so they knew what they were doing." Given the company's focus on a tile-based experience and its emphasis on the Microsoft Cloud, it's beginning to make a lot of sense. Elop went on to state that the X is primarily a stepping stone (a "gateway phone," if you will) for a largely untouched market segment -- emerging markets and developing countries -- to get acclimatized to Microsoft's suite of services and familiar Live Tiles interface. It's an interesting strategy, no doubt, and we're excited to see if it pays off in the long run -- people won't be rushing to a Windows Phone weeks after buying an XL, but it sounds like the idea is to plant a seed within consumers, as well as a reliance on services like Skype, Outlook and OneDrive. Our interview with Stephen in its entirety is below.

• 3 months later...

20140608_192546_zpswvo7jl9e.jpg

condoms aside, this is the phone. it's the same width as an S3 but about 1cm longer. There's only 3 buttons on the phone, the volume (which I'm counting as 2) and the on/off. The way you're supposed to activate the screen is to double tap the phone, which is fine, and will probably be ideal when the cover turns up, but given the front of the phone is 95% screen every time you pick the phone up, even if you're just moving it from one place to another, putting it in your pocket, turns the phone on because the motion stuff is so sensitive. Hopefully the cover sorts that as the swipe stuff should be blocked

The front speakers are cool, not as loud as I'd been led to believe, but they are good quality, not quite crystal clear, but way clearer than usual phone speakers. The earphones that come with it are similar, there's no bass to them which makes them useless really, but the highend is great on them, better than the current ones I use

There's 2 cameras on the back rather than one, I presume one is better than the other, but it lets them do some clever stuff with the focus. Once you've taken a picture you can go in and change the focus to any other part of the image. You can also use some fake 3D stuff, so you tilt the phone and it makes things move a bit. It's nice, cool to use and pretty clever, but it isn't proper 3d and it's kind of locked to the phone, so not really all that useful other than as a bit of a toy.

For the first time I can actually use a controller on my phone without routing it. The Desire might have let me but I was missing the cable, I now have the usb cable adapter so I was using my fighting pad for King of Fighters. The problem with it is that it doesn't (KOF if not the whole phone) recognise diagonals on the dpad, which makes it worse than using the touch screen dpad :( It does mean though that the 360 pad should work, and possibly the ps3 pad through usb, which I'll try later.

The worst thing is the htc Blink Feed that you can see mentioned on the box. It's like Flipboard or whatever it's called. In theory it pulls information from your searches and twitter etc, then build a feed of things you might be interested in. The idea is sound but Twitter does it better, the real problem is you can't get rid of it and it's locked to the left of the screen, so if you swipe the screen the wrong way to unlock it pulls it up.

The battery seems great, but then it's a big phone, so it's probably more to do with the size of the battery than the tech of it. Either way it's no bad thing. The other nice tough, see in the top left of the phone screen there's a little box, that's the icon for KOF that's paused in the background, I can just pull the tab down and jump right back in.

I went from the S3 to the M8 recently and I have tpo say, even ignoring the jump from 2 phone generations ago, it's be far the best phone I've ever played with. It finally seems like Android has caught up with and overtaken iOS for usability (I personally don't like most Apple products, but they all seem VERY smooth and seem to just work - Android always seemed like a work in progress to me).

I like the idea of Blink Feed though - if you use multiple social media sites, and then play around with the options you can bring a hell of a lot of stuff in to nose through. You can also search for custom stuff which it will bring in too, although I haven't done that yet. To get rid of it though, pinch your fingers on the home screen, then hold on Blink Feed and drag to 'Remove' at the top. Gone forever!

Isn't the Dot Case also touch screen though? So the swipes will still register?

The speed is insane too - some apps were taking up to 30 seconds to a minute to load on my S3 - this is almost instant. I also got Spotify included in my contract, and 20% off so I'm a VERY happy ginger right now!

I've got rid of Blinkfeed so thanks for that. I'd been told you couldn't get rid of it so I hadn't even tried. It should help with some of the swipe to unlock problems I've got with the phone too, so when the cover eventually turns up I'll be alright to use it regardless (hopefully).

it's a cool phone. The biggest issue I'd started to have with my S3 was the Google Now stuff. I liked it so I left it on, but when it found some new information (when I walked past a point it recognised and wanted to tell me about, such as going in to the city or about 4 points on my way to work) it'd clog my phone making the music stutter. I'd learnt to live with it a bit but it's nice to not have that problem now