passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The iPhone killer? A thread for Android phones

Hendo

i'm looking at cheap android phones again, htc wildfire and samsung galaxy portal can be had on t-mobile £10 a month if you pay a bit for the handheld, and sony x10 mini for £15 a month on orange, the sony and htc sound good but have lower res screens so apparently some apps won't work and they arent as good for web browsing, the samsung has a better screen res but doesn't seem as good in other areas... anyone have any experiences with these phones or recommend any other cheap android phones? (t mobile pulse is on offer for ~£100 today but by all accounts its not great and it seems a bit pointless getting a smartphone on payg)

i'm looking at cheap android phones again, htc wildfire and samsung galaxy portal can be had on t-mobile £10 a month if you pay a bit for the handheld, and sony x10 mini for £15 a month on orange, the sony and htc sound good but have lower res screens so apparently some apps won't work and they arent as good for web browsing, the samsung has a better screen res but doesn't seem as good in other areas... anyone have any experiences with these phones or recommend any other cheap android phones? (t mobile pulse is on offer for ~£100 today but by all accounts its not great and it seems a bit pointless getting a smartphone on payg)

My housemate has the wildfire. It seems ok, but as you mentioned, the screen is pretty poor resolution wise. It was the first thing i noticed. Couldn't tell you any more than that really. It seemed to work well and was pretty snappy.

had a go of the wildfire and the samsung in the shop and like Jimbo says the screen resolution is noticable on the wildfire, probably doesn't matter too much appart from web browsing, appart from that it seemed great, the samsung had much better screen resolution but wasn't as slick/fast as the wildfire and the on screen keyboard wasn't as good, and its running an old version of android, i'm rubbish at making decisions so will probably end up getting neither :)

My HTC Hero is pretty good mate. The web browsing is spot on, as is Twitter, Facebook, etc. I've got it on 3 for £18 a month. That's 300 minutes or txts, or a combo of both, unlimited 3g internet, 60 picture messages, unlimited Skype, and of course, Wi-fi at home. It plays almost any video I can chuck at it with the right app. Ok, the games aren't as good as Iphone games, but I really am impressed by it. Picture in the Android apps section. The only problem I have at the mo, is waiting for 3 to release the new firmware for it.

• 1 month later...

Windows Phone 7 games and features revealed:

The service will be know as Windows Phone 7 and launch this Christmas.

All of the hallmark Xbox Live features will be replicated: Avatars, demos, leaderboards, Achievements, Friends, messaging, spotlight and even multiplayer - "turn-based", according to the press release.

Microsoft Games Studios will churn out a slew of games for Windows Phone 7, as will an impressive array of third-party publishers.

Enough to beat Apple and the App Store? The first wave of Windows Phone 7 titles are listed below.

* "3D Brick Breaker Revolution" (Digital Chocolate)

* "Age of Zombies" (Halfbrick)

* "Armor Valley" (Protégé Games)

* "Asphalt 5" (Gameloft)

* "Assassins Creed" (Gameloft)

* "BejeweledTM LIVE" (PopCap)

* "Bloons TD" (Digital Goldfish)

* "Brain Challenge" (Gameloft)

* "Bubble Town 2" (i-Play)

* "Butterfly" (Press Start Studio)

* "CarneyVale Showtime" (MGS)

* "Castlevania" (Konami)

* "Crackdown 2: Project Sunburst" (MGS)

* "De Blob Revolution" (THQ)

* "Deal or No Deal 2010" (i-Play)

* "Earthworm Jim" (Gameloft)

* "Fast & Furious 7" (i-Play)

* "Fight Game Rivals" (Rough Cookie)

* "Finger Physics" (Mobliss Inc.)

* "Flight Control" (Namco Bandai)

* "Flowerz" (Carbonated Games)

* "Frogger" (Konami)

* "Fruit Ninja" (Halfbrick)

* "Game Chest-Board" (MGS)

* "Game Chest-Card" (MGS)

* "Game Chest-Logic" (MGS)

* "Game Chest-Solitaire" (MGS)

* "GeoDefense" (Critical Thought)

* "Ghostscape" (Psionic)

* "Glow Artisan" (Powerhead Games)

* "Glyder 2" (Glu Mobile)

* "Guitar Hero 5" (Glu Mobile)

* "Halo Waypoint" (MGS)

* "Hexic Rush" (Carbonated Games)

* "I Dig It" (InMotion)

* "iBlast Moki" (Godzilab)

* "ilomilo" (MGS)

* "Implode XL" (IUGO)

* "Iquarium" (Infinite Dreams)

* "Jet Car Stunts" (True Axis)

* "Let's Golf 2" (Gameloft)

* "Little Wheel" (One click dog)

* "Loondon" (Flip N Tale)

* "Max and the Magic Marker" (PressPlay)

* "Mini Squadron" (Supermono Limited)

* "More Brain Exercise" (Namco Bandai)

* "O.M.G." (Arkedo)

* "Puzzle Quest 2" (Namco Bandai)

* "Real Soccer 2" (Gameloft)

* "The Revenants" (Chaotic Moon)

* "Rise of Glory" (Revo Solutions)

* "Rocket Riot" (Codeglue)

* "Splinter Cell Conviction" (Gameloft)

* "Star Wars: Battle for Hoth" (THQ)

* "Star Wars: Cantina" (THQ)

* "The Harvest" (MGS)

* "The Oregon Trail" (Gameloft)

* "Tower Bloxx NY" (Digital Chocolate)

* "Twin Blades" (Press Start Studio)

* "UNO" (Gameloft)

* "Women's Murder Club: Death in Scarlet" (i-Play)

* "Zombie Attack!" (IUGO)

* "Zombies!!!!" (Babaroga)

If anyone's gonna take on Apple.....well, I wouldn't mind having a phone that was connected in some way to my 360. Could be huge.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'll be renewing my contract, and the wife's, in a month or so. I'm thinking of going Android.

The Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Any good? It came out a month or so ago, is the first phone to run the new Android 4.0 'Ice Cream Sandwich' firmware, and is supposed to be pretty good. I'm thinking about that for myself, and an HTC Sensation or SaMsung Galaxy S2 for the wife.

I think I can get the Nexus for £30 a month with the phone free, and the Sensation/S2 for about £25.

i don't really know anything about the latest android handsets. did just buy an xperia play though which seems really good for a mid priced one, so i'd guess you can get them on a cheaper contract than the ones mentioned. great for emulators, quite big/heavy and when closed the slidy part wobbles around a bit mind.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Galaxy S2, but that's the limit of my knowledge on the subject.

I will say though, as you're going from apple to android, that I still dont think the android store is as good or full as the apple one. The only stuff it's missing really is the odd game, but even that is balancing out now. The pricing can be odd too, some stuff is cheaper or free on android, some stuff more expensive

The big plus for me though is that you dont have to go through itunes. I know some people like it and mac users get a better experience with it, and that's not my issue, more that it's an unnecessary wall to get past. If you want to put something on your phone just drag and drop, same if you want to take something off. The best examples I can give was Sam wanting an e-book the other day, he couldn't get it on to his phone without doing some huge work around, on android he'd just drop it in to his kindle folder, or my mum wanting an album off me, I would have had to register her phone with my computer and if memory serves this might have wiped her phone (assuming we forgot to sign in to itunes)

Obviously if you buy all your games, music, films and books through itunes then all that is moot