passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The iPhone killer? A thread for Android phones

Hendo

• 5 months later...

Just got a Huawei P20 as an early upgrade.

Coming from an LG G5, it's a great piece of tech. The facial recognition works flawlessly, the battery is an absolute beast compared to the last one - seriously, I was lucky if I got to work with 66% battery some days, and didn't even use it on the train - it takes 24 hours without sweating. 

I mean, I'm saying how good the tech is, pretty much all I use my phone for is coming on here and gtm, and browsing Facebook (and occasionally perving on Tumblr or Instagram) so it's not the best representation, but it's all butttery smooth.

It even comes with a screen protector as standard - a lovely little touch from Huawei.

Now the negatives. It's by far, the most slippery phone I've ever held in my hand. That screen protector is an absolute necessity.

And, there's no headphone jack. But I've got Bluetooth headphones for when I bike to work, so that's fine. It comes with USB Type-C headphones too, and it's even got a little connector so you can hook up your traditional headphones up to the USB Type-C port.

Awesome little touches that Huawei didn't have to do. I suppose Apple do it though, so they kind of did...

Anyway, I like this phone a lot. Thumbs up from me!

Yeah Huawei have come on a lot in recent years.

My parents had one of their early phones that came out here and it wasn’t great at all, a few years down the line and they just got an upgrade to the Huawei P Smart and I’m really impressed with it, it does an awful lot of the stuff my iPhone does but at a fraction of the price. Crazy that the budget end Huawei phones have fingerprint readers and stuff now, it really is bananas how tech is evolving.

I know all tech companies are bad for this, but aren’t Huawei particularly notorious for leaching back user data from their devices? (And aren’t they owned by the Chinese government, or have I gone full illuminati here?)

::EDIT::

so a little column a and a little column b it seems. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.tomsguide.com/us/huawei-zte-smartphones-national-security,news-26632.html

• 2 months later...

I've managed to smash the screen on my iPhone 6 again (twice in sixth months after never doing it before in the last 9 years of owning Smart Phones) so I'm looking at new/second hand handsets. Ideally I'd like an iPhone 6s+ but they're a bit too expensive still at the moment, so thinking about Android as an alternative. I have a Moto something or other as my work phone and have mixed feelings about it. It is very much at the budget end of the scale. I was taking a look at the one+6 earlier which looks interesting, but too expensive outright. The Huawei that @regemond got is just under £200 SIM free on Amazon which seems a good price. 

Whatever I do, I think I'm going to use my work one for the next couple of months and decide in September, unless I get too annoyed with this one. 

You sure you're looking at the one I got, @retroed?

Looking on Amazon, mine is £549...

Huawei P20 SIM-Free with Veho Headphones - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07C7FDWP8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_0ugpBb7HYHB5S

Could it have been the P Smart?

Huawei P Smart (Single Sim) SIM-Free - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079G93QND/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_swgpBb67NRSK4

Just don't want you to think what I've said above is representative of a different model, that's all.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

New phone arrived today, Honor 8X. Can't actually have it until Monday as it is a birthday present, but I just quickly set it up and got it restoring.

IMG_20181122_153451680.jpg

Excuse the slightly crappy picture.

It sure is a lot of phone for £215, it's massive! For what you get it seems like terrific value, especially as it meant I could keep my £12 a month sim only contract, and not have to justify dropping best part of a grand on a new iPhone. The main thing I wanted was a decent camera, my iPhone 6 camera was excellent (probably still is, if I got it repaired) but the Moto G5 that I've been using for a few months has a terrible camera. This one seems pretty decent from the research I've been doing, certainly should be on a par with my iPhone, and has that portrait style thing that is popular at the moment.

Want to get my Nova settings on there and turn it back into my phone and not the Honor set up it is at the moment.

• 1 month later...

15457768388514266407232350209765.jpg

Got a WearOS watch for Christmas. Seems ok so far.

Whilst I'm hear, might as well update about my phone. It's pretty excellent. 

It is so good for what it cost, I worry that it's probably skimming my info and sending it back to China.

The camera is my only real grips with it, it isn't half as good as I'd hoped it would be, I'm getting better at working with it, but pointing and shooting doesn't give as good images as my iPhone 6 did.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to post this in the app thread as well as here.

I've currently got £18 credit in my play store wallet (Gpay are doing a promo for first time users at the moment. Whenever you make an NFC payment you get a prize draw to win a home mini or play store credit, I've gotten over £20 worth so far..), what should I spend it on? Looking for app or game suggestions, or anything else?