passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Typing of the Dead Overkill

DANGERMAN

I don't think there's ever been a game that doesn't need explaining beyond its title as much as typing of the Dead Overkill. It's House of the Dead Overkill, the PS3 HD port of the Wii game, except rather than shoot zombies you type words. Each letter damages them a bit, so you could stagger them complete the word, phrase, or sentence and they die. Simple. Stupid

And it is stupid, it was stupider in the original when the characters actually had keyboards and Dreamcasts strapped to them, but good god damn it was fun. Overkill was never the game House of the Dead 2 was but it was pretty good, probably better than House of the Dead 3. The typing gameplay skill works really well though, so well in fact I wonder if pretty much every game would work as a typing game.

I'm not sure I like the humour of Overkill so much, maybe I never did, but there's very few jokes in it, it's mainly just swearing, which you know, we've put up with Sly for this long so that's not all bad, but I thought I remembered it being funny. What is nice is that the PS3 version had a couple of extra levels and they're in this, as is the ps4 version of the game, which might be a bit easy with a mouse.

I've played through the first couple of levels and it's fun so far, in fact I've gone done a video innit

I played through the first chapter. It's just as dumb as the original Oververkill - probably dumber by virtue of the typing - but it's fun, and some of the words it came up with made me laugh. I started out ok and I was dispatching zombies without a problem , but my typing got a bit ropey towards the end of the level.

I forgot how much I liked the music in this game (although it can get a bit samey)

I played a few levels last night, it is really fun at first because of how silly it all is, then my lack of typing skills shows through, and it's still pretty fun but a struggle for me. The longer words I'm not too bad at but the shorter ones it expects you to have finished typing them before I've even started sometimes! Good stuff though, nice surprise release.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...