passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Comic Book Thread

hinn888

I've started to read graphic novels recently, and i was wondering if there is any thats worth recommending.

Ive bought

Coraline

Marvel Zombies

Marvel Zombies 2

Marvel Zombies Vs Army of Darkness

Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects

Army of Two: Dirt Money

Aranzi Hour

Bunny Suicides (if that counts)

World of Warcraft: Sunwell Trilogy - Dragon Hunt

World of Warcraft: Sunwell Trilogy - Shadows of Ice

World of Warcraft: Sunwell Trilogy - Ghostlands

Venom Vs Carnage

Pokemon Adventures: Mysterious Mew

Pokemon Adventures: Wanted: Pikachu

Pokemon Adventures: Starmie Suprise

Pokemon Adventures: The Snorlax Stop

Pokemon Adventures: The Gastly Ghosts

Ive been thinking about getting the halo uprising once its out

*EDIT* Gawd i had more than i thought i just keep finding them in my room.

im trying to stay away from the zombie books, i only read marvel zombies coz i like spin offs.

Civil war i would be interested but theres so many! I dno where to start!

Scott Pilgrim tho does look good, but theres no where i can buy it from cept ebay <_<

*EDIT* Found it at forbidden plant for like £6 each :)

I read a couple of Batman books over christmas (Year One and The Long Halloween - which was the better book tbh), From Hell is good, more involved than the film, I was going to second Walking Dead too.

Domu (by Otomo, the guy that wrote Akira) is a classic, it's about a block of flats where residents keep offing themselves, it's not as bleak as it sounds and has some anime style powers in it before long. Then there's Danny Clowes stuff like Ghost World and the 8ball books (which are basically a collection of comics).

Tbh most of the stuff i've read is manga and I dont know if that's what you're looking for

ive decided to buy these ones

5.99 - 1 x Scott Pilgrim: Volume 1: Scott Pilgrims Precious Little Life

5.99 - 1 x Scott Pilgrim: Volume 2: Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

9.99 - 1 x Halo: Uprising (Hardcover)

16.49 - 1 x I Love You Baby: Characters Collection Book

5.51 - 1 x Scott Pilgrim: Volume 4: Scott Pilgrim Gets It Together

5.99 - 1 x Scott Pilgrim: Volume 3: Scott Pilgrim And The Infinite Sadness

I still gna look round for more tho :P

v is indeed awesome

civil war is ace too, there are about a hundred billion comics tied into the storyline but the main story is an 8 comic jobber, which you can just get as a trade paperback anyway. you don't really need to read all the comics involved to be honest. house of M is pretty good too

My fave civil war spin off was front line, i believe you can buy that paperbacked. Runaways is good as well, its a bit aimed at teens, but there is a lot of geek references, its kinda self parody/ironic, in the same way that buffy the vampire was.

i'd recommend the following all good reads and most are cheap as chips on amazon

marvels adaptation of stephen kings gunslinger/ dark tower books

bleach- sheer manga awesomeness

batman- the killing joke

batman- the dark knight

marvels 1602 by neil gaimen is an interesting take on the x-men series

any of the hellblazer/ constantine books

league of extraordinary gentlemen

lenore by roman dirge (bit cutesy but very funny)

the entirety of the preacher series by garth enis and steve dillon (that series is in my opinion up there with anything alan moore has ever done)

any of the sin city books are a good read. especially the last one "hell and back"

And i know it's been said all ready but the 6 akira books are all brilliant. much more in depth than the film (and makes a lot more sense)

• 1 month later...

I've got a copy of the Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller waiting to be started tonight. I've heard very good things about it, so I'm looking forward to it.

Has anyone here read Red Son? It's written my Mark Millar, who wrote Civil War and it's basically what would've happened if Superman had landed in the USSR instead of America. Pretty good, mostly because there's no Kryptonite (Shitty plot device) and it has a nice twist to it.

I've got a copy of the Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller waiting to be started tonight. I've heard very good things about it, so I'm looking forward to it.

Has anyone here read Red Son? It's written my Mark Millar, who wrote Civil War and it's basically what would've happened if Superman had landed in the USSR instead of America. Pretty good, mostly because there's no Kryptonite (Shitty plot device) and it has a nice twist to it.

this is awesome, one of my favourite stories, just brilliant writing, haven't read red son but i've4 seen it a couple of times and been intrigued, it's an elseworlds story isn't it, some of those are ace (World's Funnest, batmite vs mr Mxyzptlk is brilliant, not least all the nods to other elseworlds comics) though some are a bit arse

red son is excellent, i'm not a fan of superman, but that is one of my faves. The twist at the end is mind boggling, but awesome.

As for Dark Knight Returns, go in with open mind. I love it, but a lot of people i know find it disappointing, maybe receives to much hype. One of the best Batman stories and my all time faves.

Also can't remember if this was mentioned, but you should check out preacher (thats to anyone) its written by garth ennis, came out ages ago now. It spans 8 books (i think of the top of my head) and is a mix of ultra violence,swearing, western, pop culture and finding god and making him accountable. Awesome stuff.

I like DK Returns, it's not perfect and I dont really buy his helper, I guess there wasnt space to develop her properly, but she's at odds with the darker element too much imo. I'd argue it's better than Year One, much better. Long Halloween is a good Batman story, the twist is obvious but it's a good idea all told.

• 3 months later...

I've literally just gotten into comics after receiving a pile of trade paper backs/graphic novels off a friend on another forum. So far read:

The Ultimates (vol1 & 2)

The Ultimates 2 (vol 1 & 2)

House of M

Civil War

(All Marvel obviously)

and bought Planet Hulk yesterday after the guy in Close Encounters in Bedford (more on them in a moment) reccomended it to me saying it takes place whilst the Civil War is happening (as those of you who've read it will remember, the Hulk was notably absent from this, reason being that he was sent into space, I assume after a large battle involving the Avenger's, which was probably similar to the one he helped the Ultimates win).

As for the shop I've just mentioned, they're having a signing, sketching, meet session on Saturday 27th June starting at 1pm, it seems to be mostly 2000AD artists and writers, but some of you may be interested, I got the details of who they all were from Wikipedia, as for the "and more" comment at the bottom I'm not sure what else is happening, although the manager mentioned something to do with an artist from the Iron Man movie being in attendance.

Simon Bisley (ABC Warriors, Slaine, Heavy Metal Dredd - all 2000 AD comics, Batman/Judge Dredd: Judgement on Gotham, Batman: Black & White - Both DC Comics)

Glen Fabry (Another who's mostly done art for 2000AD)

Adi Granov (X-Men Unlimited 2)

Dave Kendall

David Hine

Leah Moore (Daughter of Alan Moore, co-wrote Albion with husband John Reppion)

John Reppion (Writer of Albion and Leah Moore's husband)

Frazer Irving (Another 2000 AD artist, most notably for Necronauts)

"and more".

http://www.closeencounters.co.uk/

book 6 is awesome, makes the end of the film make a lot more sense as well.

just bought books 16 and 17 in the bleach series, only 8 more to go till i've caught up!

and 150ish more episodes to watch till i've caught up with the bleach anime as well

I love bleach