passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Comic Book Thread

hinn888

12.jpg

So let's talk about The Twelve. Written by JMS (of Babylon 5 fame) with fantastic art by Chris Weston. When Marvel was initially Timely Comics, back in the 1940's. There were a lot more characters out there than just Captain America, Namor etc They had names like the Whizzer, Phantom Reporter and Dynamic Man. 

Marvel let most of these slide into oblivion. Although some would ironically become legacy characters. This story takes a group of 12 from that pantheon and gives them the Captain America treatment. Frozen for 60 years, they awake in 2008 - around the time of Marvel's Civil War event. The chamber that held them unearthed when the site was being excavated to make way for an apartment building. 

They are "enlisted" by the US Army to be heroes again, under the government. Because, in their view, heroes with a 1940's ideology would be less likely to question authority. Unlike their modern counterparts.

The result is pretty great. A 12 part maxi-series that follows these individuals (they aren't a team, nor form one) in the "period of adjustment" the Army affords them. To acclimatise to modern life. For some it is a 'man out of time' story akin to Cap. For others, they find they have to live upto the consequences of their younger days.

One such character, a highlight of the book, is Black Widow. The original Black Widow. No relation. Claire Voyant, in contrast to the Russian Super Spy.  Is an enforcer of the Devil, with the touch of death.

blackwidow-collects-dexters-soul.jpg

You also have Electro the robot, Captain Wonder, Fiery Mask and others. They make a compelling cast and the case is reiterated that not every superhero is a good person. Apart from Black Widow. I hadn't heard of any of these characters before going in. That isn't really necessary either. Since backstories are given and the characterisation is strong. As it stands within it's own bubble, it is a great way to showcase forgotten characters and a solid one-off story to add to my collection. 9/10

12 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

Armando Iannucci is the odd one there

The guy who did The Thick of It and Death of Stalin!? That is a very odd name within that list.

39 minutes ago, Maf said:

Neil Gaiman and Jonathan Hickman doing something Spider-Man? 😲

FSlSu60WUCgXuzh?format=jpg&name=large

Note the date. August 2022 would be Spider-Man's 60th Anniversary. From the font, I'd say Amazing Fantasy is being revived for the event...

clean.jpg

Read Hulk vs Thor: Banner of War Part 1. This is a really dumb fight comic which doesn’t take itself seriously at all. So much so that 

8OS0RzhayI7XAG5gRA7VPmDux-Y4lqqB4Rh066bw

They even have Uatu eating popcorn while he’s watching the fight. It’s kind of fun, I guess, but I expect will end up being completely disposable. 

Also Hulk and Thor have fought how many times? Even treating it purely as a fight comic, this is not that interesting. They’re ‘hyping’ this fight up a little different, but still comes off as dumb and like a children’s book. I’ll read it since I’m reading both the Hulk and Thor series anyway, but it’s really whatever. 

I also read the new Punisher #1 & #2 by Jason Aaron. I’m not really a Punisher fan, and I don’t like Aaron as much after his run on Avengers. But Aaron on Punisher sounded like a good fit so I thought I’d give it a chance and then…

eZIhlmeWg0Da2TrD34-yWFFa9wQh0c3ts6PnA8jF

This image got me stuck for a few moments. I was like wait lol

Punisher now works for the Hand because they have revived his wife. In return The Hand wants Frank to be their new High Slayer and Fist of the Beast. It’s kind of an interesting idea, and the last page reveal on #2 of who the enemy is going to be fun. But something about it isn’t sitting right with me. 

Some of it is the whole #1 issue keeps talking about how the Punisher is the best killer in the world, the most successful mass murderer of all time, etc. The storyline itself is called the King of Killers. But I’m like…wouldn’t that be Wolverine? Or Red Skull? Or Apocalypse? Or something.

Also I think if Frank found out someone touched his wife’s corpse they’d be so fucking dead. 

I dunno. It’s interesting with some fun ideas. At least it’s a completely fresh idea for the Punisher who I usually find to be quite limited. But it’s very weird. See how it goes 

16 hours ago, Maf said:

I’ll read it since I’m reading both the Hulk and Thor series anyway, but it’s really whatever. 

I'm only reading Hulk. Not a fan of Thor at all. But as this is the first crossover of the series, I guess I'll get it.

Off the strength of ComicPop I bought the Tom King Rorschach comic. I avoided this when it was monthly because I was like eh. Another Watchmen sequel/spin-off. Watchmen was one good comic (and imo a good movie) but everything else to come from it is not that good. Tv show, comics, etc.

2 issues in to this comic. Hmm. So far it’s a really slow ‘mystery’ about 2 people that tried to assassinate a politician running for President, and one of them may or may not be a 80yo Rorschach.

Watchmen is not a typical superhero book and this is even less so. So far it’s 40 something pages of an unnamed detective going around talking to people trying to find out information. It’s not really working for me. Apart from the two assassin’s who are dead by page 1, there are no characters and the mystery also isn’t grabbing me. The dialogue is written in a conversational and contemplative Tom King style and the art is very good, so far not that in to it, though.

I really liked this, this was interesting. The guy who might be Rorschach in the comic is also a comic book artist. He thinks he’s old comics are silly and wanted to do something more meaningful, something that would actually bring some good to the world. So this page I thought was clever

7adz8jutIGq9q-cg30btvlflDHupwC53hC0bDDkc

oaFw-bCc6skVNpObr6IeYUo--W4u1kjI8_lfz98h

B5W-DVp9Kv0xA8Gvq4o1Fz3T_dua5OlaYL2aSfDp

I’m still thinking about this, I like it. It has to be intentional. Does the comic writer see himself as the weak Unthinker or was it inspiration for what he would like to do to help save the world. Was this his wake up call and he wants to do this to people he thinks are unthinking. 

I dunno but I liked that part

I remember watching Matrix 3 and the bit where Neo and Smith hit each other so hard they blew all the windows out the building I thought was so original and cool.

Years later I read Death of Superman and

kei7k_1oE1C_QoPAlRCp0HyS99RNITniNaR1HwYI

This comic was published in ‘92. Anything earlier that did this, or was it the first? 

The Correct Answer! Well done.

The match-up even picked the strongest Green Lantern (I'm pretty sure). But SS has beaten far more powerful characters than that.

main-qimg-3d6bf88dae2e0840be2904758fb17e

Hulk-Comic-Begging-Silver-Surfer-Death-T

You know I've come to kind of hate the Thanos Wins story. It's cool, I guess. But stuff like that above really puts me off. It's both pop and miserable at the same time. 

The Flash/s outrace death and bring him to a dying Darkseid. 

bqxjD1gSfoU-xvpoxZUkjxJu9AzIRTscXtOwGEhK
eAfaFibrmSqIszEt-NPzKzhA7myNiEUAZtSb6aK3
eSDXc_hXTzR5TCpB_B_WZtw57gh1jWp33Z3TkMz3

Final Crisis is both epic and nonsense at the same time. I don’t really understand all of it but I’ve always liked this story