passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Comic Book Thread

hinn888

Err, so because comics were cancelled for a few months all of my subscriptions backed up over time. With some things coming through and a lot of it not. Well today everything caught up with itself and I got hit with a £160 comic book bill. Yikes, that hurts.

Well, new comic book day yay...

EevRsfoWkAINgDZ?format=jpg&name=large

My favourite covers in this big messy pile

Spoiler

Zef-_z-ML4Ioi8bGesLsIHhrAG_qpBZ2kAN710Zs
Legion of Super-Heroes #7

m_hO4y44FXM-d_EszbCkS6ZejZeIK6xZ3SwgzbqP
Captain America #21

F1BArDCtF75aiFqtNtvGuWrDwFxRoZEok538nnbb

Dark Nights Death Metal #2

QYM0UcjYYKnaaXF0zGgxQmwGvilQhuySocQXLGpv

Captain Marvel #17

4uOMD_YktLjKm6EydVwk3IZ2H2CgU375H_2PuC_E
Detective Comics #1023

fduuuNVWIt7LGgm1HtT4vWEehjXi0QrG9aqN6lmb

Batman #95

fFo4pipK5qO5Q28SZOJ02gzBkGux-1TYx4IpNwDN
Wonder Woman #758

D6KYjimS3_EWqNWQ2btkvT5Egwnwg_vzcZDqv_aa
Wolverine #3

dz3WtTvRtghioBSyAYr1jUyxvPaz3MUuTT6DVMcY
Young Justice #16

FQU4_v1bgf4hHjjBQuRt8Zz47cJurPKtYfB-NfbJ

Empyre #2

gGBVCq7j6mfS5sHYD20WtgAzx5GjPCpoBNCWFhrp
Black Cat #12

Cmy2xwsDL4wFIKGtIDQSJG9mbM8LUFqwqU-WGSt4
Amazing Spider-Man #45

iLdNgkh6SZoOcrL2JdmNNR7K15cjM78tNb0jlYoO

Strange Adventures #3

CpuOtM3fixmwpKcy_heKmos7uxQLFiwN9Jc31DCr
Strange Academy #2

05SS_VdWsp6r1qpZ0L2QiEcMLEyTMzph_l4JLFif
Superman #23

Iban Coello is fast becoming my favourite Spider-Man artist of all the time. His drawings have so much pop and are so kinetic. Exactly what you need for fast moving, acrobatic characters like Spider-Man and Venom

EeaD81wXYAApQAG?format=jpg&name=900x900

EeATJ0DWsAAXZRr?format=jpg&name=medium

He is also a huge anime fan and even though I can’t pinpoint it exactly I also feel like I can see that influence. 

That is the Maker. He is evil Reed Richards from the Ultimate Universe. I think the Symbiote he has is from the Ultimate Universe as well.

He has said that his plan is to bring his universe back, and that plan seems to revolve around Venom. Quite how yet I don’t know. 

So my own, more modest, pile of comics from last week...

coms.jpg

I've been a little remiss in what I've been reading/seeing lately. I blame it on the weather. Regardless...

X-Men #10 - Vulcan. When Hickman rebooted X-Men with House of X/Powers of 10, one of the more curious inclusions was the "resurrection" of the third Summers brother. 

Spoiler

main-qimg-4accda45015f95e1c0fb4f2a6ccd8c

main-qimg-c6d6c2c8ae72525abfd176666f60ff

vulcan19.jpg

That's how he died last time. In a battle to the death against the Inhuman King Blackbolt. Both perished at the heart of a very big bomb. That was back in 2009. Now Blackbolt did reappear (Because MCU) Whereas Vulcan never did. So the big question is how was he resurrected? The current resurrection subplot of X-Men requires your DNA to work. The bomb, didn't leave any. Turns out, Hickman addresses that in the first page or so. The rest of this issue, although a tie-in to the Empyre Event, revolves around this revelation and it's implications going forward. Better than tie-ins normally are. 8/10

Hellions #2 - This is fun. Much more a villain book than anything else. Probably the only one on the team that isn't either outright evil or mostly unhinged, is Kwannon (Note that isn't Psylocke on the cover, it is a long story and a very pointless recent retcon) As such She's team leader. The mission is straight forward with lots of very old callbacks. In particular to this issue of X-Men:

Spoiler

latest?cb=20100110180459

That being the last time, this building (Sinister's old orphanage) was explored by a team. To similar effect. Scalphunter is quickly becoming the star of the book. 8/10

Strange Adventures #3(of 12) - This is a very interesting book. Initially, on the surface this is very much like Tom King's previous mini series. The absolutely brilliant Mister Miracle.  That was my initial vibe, reading the first two issues. However, after reading this one, I'm getting a very different vibe altogether. That neither Adam Strange nor his wife, are as forthright or honest as Scott Free and Big Barda. There is a real mystique to their public heroic persona and how genuine that perspective actually is. King has been cited one of the primary themes of this book to be on the nature of colonialism. History written by the winners etc I'm starting to get onboard with that concept. 9/10

coms2.jpg

This weeks arrivals...

FF #22 - This one felt a little more like its own story, as opposed to a filler tie-in to an Event. The cover, again, is a fake out. Although by the end of this issue, Wolverine and Spider-Man do at least have the FF costumes they sported in the last cover. Slott clearly still has a thing for Spider-Man, given he is front and centre of all dialogue exchanges in all the panels he is in. 7/10

Strange Adventures #4(of 12) - Ohh this was very good. I didn't note issue two previously, as it was essentially just retelling issue one. But from the PoV of the antagonist (?) in this story, Mr Terrific. Which from this issue I see is actually a motif, as his tale takes front and centre here. Further peeling back the curtain on what is becoming a less and less straight forward account of Adam Strange's last battle on Planet Rann. 9/10

DC FanDome got me into looking at getting some Comics again.

Specifically Green Lantern stuff, had a look at the Geoff Johns GL Omnibus, £70 for Volume 1?! Are they high? Jesus fucking Christ.

Anyway, I might just get the ‘Rebirth’ part of it as that’s only £10. I’ve heard good things about the upcoming (?) Hellrazer Constantine Volumes but have no real love/experience with the character outside of the Keanu Reeves movie so that may be a bad buy.

@DisturbedSwan

GL Rebirth is kind of cool but it is the start of Johns’ run and is him just trying to wrap up and reconcile all the existing continuity before starting his own. I think you will understand it but it just might not have the meaning or impact for you (If you haven’t ever read GL before?)

The new Hellblazer run is not bad. I haven’t read a lot of Hellblazer in the past, a issue or 2 here and there, but managed to jump on just fine. It’s well written, looks unique, has some fairly interesting characters and the story is quite dark. Be warned Constantine is not your average super hero lol

If you want to try out some DC books I would recommend Mister Miracle. Absolutely one of the best comics in years. If that doesn’t get you in to comics nothing will. The TPB is about £15 as well. Good price.

Also if you want to read some Geoff Johns books DC Rebirth which is basically the launch book for current DC comics is really great and the 2 volumes of Doomsday Clock is great, too. A little bit slow but if you like Watchmen they do fun stuff with those characters and this is the first time they’re mixing in with the DCU (Also leads off from Rebirth as well)

Thanks for the advice @Maf

I think GL Rebirth might not be a good place to start then lol. I've never read any GL before, he's just one of my fave characters from Injustice 2, I saw the GL movie a few years back and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting, but I've always wanted to learn more about the character and that world ever since.

I've pre-ordered the Doomsday Clock collection that's due out in October (according to Amazon), I do love me some Watchmen. I've also added DC rebirth to my wish list on there along with Mister Miracle.

I’m not trying to put you off GL Rebirth, it’s probably as good a place to start as any. But going in I think measure your expectations understanding that Ok, this isn’t going to be a huge “oh my god, how cool” comic. It’s all set up for cool stuff later. I tried using it as my entry point to GL too, purely my experience, I found it a bit flat. 

Like at the start of the book the main character is dead and is being possessed by the Spectre, if I remember right all the Green Lanterns are dead except for Kyle, and they end up trying to deal with the fallout of Parralax which happened years before the book. 

All perfectly understandable even if you haven’t read it before, but the weight and meaning of it I found was pretty lost. So I think going in there has to be some kind of warning like this isn’t the kick off for the game this is them cutting the grass and preparing the pitch, if that makes sense. It’s a lot of tying up loose ends and reconciling continuity. 

You haven’t put me off don’t worry ?

I think that’s the most confusing thing to me about trying to get into some Comics is that I never know where to start. 

I then confuse myself further by looking at the Marvel Unlimited, DC and ComiXology apps and not really knowing whether to buy collections one by one (my preference as a prefer physical books to read) or pony up less cash for the digital editions (or a sub for Marvel unlimited). 

I think I want:

• The Killing Joke
  • Hawkeye by Matt Fractions
  • Wanda Vision 
  • From Hell 
  • Some kind of Ms Marvel run
  • Some kind of Venom run
  • Green Lantern run/runs
  • The Flash run/runs (Flashpoint?)
  • Harley Quinn (Harleen?)
  • Black Adam run/runs
  • Batman Court of Owls
  • Batman Dark Knight Returns
  • V for Vendetta
  • Frank Miller Daredevil
  • Miles Morales Spider-Man

But need to figure out the cheapest way to buy all those as Omnibuses are a no go and could probably only realistically afford 3-6 volumes/graphic novels a month

The other week I was talking about how Iban Colleo is one of my favourite artists right now for his work on Spider-Man/Venom. DC has an artist who I’ve talked about before as well - Jorge Jimenez. He went from Super Sons, incredible comic. Justice League, incredible artwork. And now Batman, and I think this is his best stuff yet. You can pull nearly any page and just examine it for ages looking at it. He’s not just a master of characters but backgrounds as well. Something that is not always thought about but he captures Gotham so perfectly.

fEreHl4BJBUMY1pcip9sFodHfZ2jdsYY7sPpY3ak

7YjpMg4SgD4pNjHJtQoNZdKb8S62QaQI8Kl9I-Jj
KtDQk2prehDt613JXbCzYxMf1DHendwYQPaOxFg2

Spoiler

slxQltY-dwjxl0EFb3zpIDZ48JYtII0OxgpuxS0X
Wcndq7MeInM0HzJRytuG-XkL-LZgjkHlI9bzFkIl

9eYxHrPdLevrS_Kw72gGK1MC0OPVKXtx5xuZQDqs
T0yIcVj6jJlq7bRQaEl2EpyTeZtQIhGTGWHouNg_
cJXwZv8MVPya-DVHHdGcf8S_mG4t2W5tKtKDjIML

croWS3AbAeWiIL69grHHh6qI2ym6MrXrRnuzbQPr

45 minutes ago, DisturbedSwan said:

I think I want:

• The Killing Joke
  • Hawkeye by Matt Fractions
  • Wanda Vision 
  • From Hell 
  • Some kind of Ms Marvel run
  • Some kind of Venom run
  • Green Lantern run/runs
  • The Flash run/runs (Flashpoint?)
  • Harley Quinn (Harleen?)
  • Black Adam run/runs
  • Batman Court of Owls
  • Batman Dark Knight Returns
  • V for Vendetta
  • Frank Miller Daredevil
  • Miles Morales Spider-Man

But need to figure out the cheapest way to buy all those as Omnibuses are a no go and could probably only realistically afford 3-6 volumes/graphic novels a month

That’s a really nice list of comics. For the Venom run there’s only really 2 to pick from. Agent Venom from a few years ago or the current Donny Cates Venom run. The current run is amazing. Absolutely fantastic comic book, especially for getting started. Quick, explosive, easy, fun read. 

Flash Point is not a run as much as it is an event. You can totally read it singularly and get it and enjoy it but it isn’t an entry point in to Flash. It’s a big event book which launched DC’s New 52. Back to what we were talking about earlier Flash Rebirth by Geoff John’s is an excellent starting point (Yes, John’s loves to put the word Rebirth in his titles for some reason). 

Fraction’s Hawkeye is incredible. I think especially you would dig Hawkeye. Modern, intelligent, extremely funny and a great use of the medium. Easy to follow but cleverly structured at the same time. For me it’s maybe top #5 maybe top #3 Marvel comics of the last decade and is why I’m excited about the upcoming TV show as it’s supposed to be based on this run. 

For Miles Morales I think you’re only really going to want to buy anything done by Bendis. Every writer to have a stab at it after just doesn’t do it as well. It means it all takes place in the Ultimate Universe, which doesn’t exist anymore, and leads off from the death of Peter Parker, which is significant and a lot of Miles’ universe is based around Peter’s. But apart from appearances in other books no one writes Miles as good as Bendis does. He hasn’t been interesting since IMO. 

Frank Miller’s Daredevil. Amazing. If you buy the big volumes of his series from the early 80’s they feel a little outdated in terms of story telling. At the same time it is fundamental Daredevil and really where that character starts. There are deviations in tone and style but essentially that series set DD up for what it be for the next 30 years and has all the classic material. If you just want the ultimate Frank Miller DD book, though, then Born Again is the one. Most people rate Born Again as Miller’s second best comic behind Dark Knight Returns. 

You’ve got a healthy list already but if I was going to recommend one more than last years House of X/Powers of X X-Men book. Wow. The Paperback is £16 and it is. Fucking. Crazy. You only need a basic working knowledge of X-Men as well and it will just fuck with you and keep you guessing throughout. Great comic book sci-fi. 

I don’t really have much to say about the cheapest way to read these. I don’t use digital so I expect that’s the cheapest route but don’t really know my self. Just putting it out there but comics are so easy to read online for free. They don’t even need to be downloaded. Great way to try before you buy. 

24 minutes ago, DisturbedSwan said:

Thanks again for advice @Maf all of that was very helpful.

I think I'm gonna go for the Marvel Unlimited free trial and see how I get on with that, and buy the DC stuff either physically or digital via the Kindle app. 

I had Marvel Unlimited for a while, it is good. Been tempted a few times to pick it up again.

First purchases:

0464B6D3-29F1-4A47-8497-CE08C3128084.jpeg

Had to go digital via ComiXology app purely because of the difference in price. £12 for these three! 

I also ordered Harleen by Stjepan Sejic physically, that should come next week.

I think this’ll have to be it for me this month though, depending on how quickly I get through the ones listed above I’ll sub to Marvel Unlimited as well as some point as it seems a bit of a no brainer.