passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Comic Book Thread

hinn888

EM_HiksWkAIM1UG.jpg

I’m so behind on comics because of being ill and not in the mood to read that this weekend I’ve been dedicating real time to catching up.

Quick reviews

Captain America - kind of well worn territory with Cap an outlaw after being framed for murder and then breaking out of jail. But I really like the tone of it, plus making good out of bad. I didn’t read Secret Empire because I hated the idea of it but using that as a jumping off point and saying that, even though the Hydra/Nazis were defeated, saying that awoke something in the American people is interesting. Basically reflecting Trump and the far right movement happening in the real world. A racist seized power and it’s ‘inspired’ people everywhere to think that it’s Ok to be racist and actually more people will agree with you than you think because people are shit. Cap being resistant to helping illegal immigrants because they’re illegal is both weird but kind of makes sense. It’s slow but I like it. 

Superman’s PAL: Jimmy Olsen - This books is so stupid, and knows it’s stupid, I love it to death and back. It’s both trying to be like a 50’s/60’s madcap adventure comic with over the top writing and a million whacky things happening all the time, but also with a very modern sitcom style take where the characters accept the ridiculous as that’s just part of every day life. It took me a minute to catch on  because Jimmy is telling his story to people parts of it are told in the wrong order which also adds to the fun and crazy. It’s just a really excited comedy. Can’t wait until it’s collected in a nice hardcover or something. Also I love this page

q9t-dN6TIe4ThdhIWcTSVR4DjCzQmM2c9hiyydv5

VAPEPOW! ?

Batman: Last Knight on Earth - Snyder and Capullo apparently teaming up one final time (Yeah, right) to tell a Batman story. It’s very strange, but really good. Basically Batman finds a decomposed body of a boy that is rigged to shoot him when he gets close. Then Bruce wakes up in Arkham Asylum where he was told he was never Batman. Refusing this bullshit Batman breaks free only to find himself in a future where the world was destroyed, all the superheroes are dead, Joker’s head is alive in a jar, and him and Batman are going to fight some guy called “Omega”. It sounds all over the place, and kind of is, but was really cool. Although it kind of ties in very thematically with what Snyder is already doing in DC, and considering this is a Black Label book you think it would be more different and harder edged. Joker says “shit” a couple of times. Challenging stuff. 

QUICKER REVIEWS

Immortal Hulk - Confusing as shit

Amazing Spider-Man - The worst superhero book being made today slightly improved with a great new artist

Friendly Neighbour Spider-Man - The best Spider-Man book in years 

The Amazing Mary Jane - Pointless, dumb. 

Guardians of the Galaxy - Donny Cates is such a good writer it feels like he is half assing it and it’s still brilliant

Batman/Superman - Fun comic, drawn beautifully

Avengers - The comic most like a Saturday morning cartoon, fun writing but a lot of nonsense 

War of the Realms - Good idea, destroyed by the need of tie-ins I didn’t read, would be better as a collected trade/omnibus

Valkyrie - Mr Horse is the best new Marvel character 

Justice League - The comic most like a sci-fi anime that is sometimes good but feels like it never ends (I love Hawkgirl)

Action Comics - Zzzzzzz

Event Leviathan - Boring comic and badly timed. Doesn’t fit with anything else DC is doing, and seems tiny in comparison

Silver Surfer Black - Art takes some adjustment but a really cool twist on a Silver Surfer story

The Terrifics - A comic I thought was really great in the beginning but changed writers and dropped off considerably. 
Revenge of the Cosmic Ghost Rider - CGR Rips up a spaceship full of bad guys and gets a tag along character. Slow start. 

I got BOOM! Studios Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Vol. 1 as a Xmas present and read it last night. Haven't read any kind of comics in a while (the last ones were Spider-Man: The Gauntlet about 5 years ago, and then Joker/Harley: Criminal Insanity Issue 1 back in October), but I genuinely enjoyed it.

Not only does it bring the original characters into the modern day - Bulk and Skull have a YouTube channel about the Power Rangers, for example - but it also adds a lot of drama and tension within the team. The first Rangers had a little bit of difficulty when Tommy first joined the team, but this really goes all in with the rivalry between him and Jason, as well as adding Zack having a lot of issues with Tommy too.

The artwork is great too. There's one panel I really like that shows the scale of Dragonzord as he's rising up from underwater beneath a cruise ship. It's such a simple thing, but really effective in the way it's shown.

• 2 weeks later...

This is, as us very experienced and articulate aficionados like to say, bad ass

ENyH-QMWkAAvH9t?format=jpg&name=medium

Also DC are doing a 100 page 80th anniversary Robin comic which I’m super into

ROBIN_80TH_CVR_fnl.jpg?resize=800,765&ss

Also, I guess this accidentally became a “news” post about comics but Strange Adventures, the spiritual successor to Mister Miracle is finally available to order on FP

strangeadventures.jpg

uR-sG0xaZ81aEBRuub2MQ2dAa87aXmSzR-0B_AZA

I have read it. It’s taken 3 years or something, but Doomsday Clock has finally finished. 

Meh.

It just doesn’t stick the landing for me. The series starts slow, got good, got great, and then fumbled at the end. I think looking back at it is the fundamental flaw to Doomsday Clock is it tried to position itself in a couple of ways, but ultimately let go of it’s ambitions and became something else. The first way is that it’s a sequel to Watchmen, which it really isn’t. It’s more like what if Manhattan fucked with the DC Universe and is actually very much just about the DC Universe. The second is it’s trying to tie in really hard to all the stuff that is currently happening in DC, and to explain big events in the past as well, but as much as it is trying to tie itself in to DC I get the feeling that the DC comics aren’t going to reference or pick up from this story at all. 

For all it’s talk of the Metaverse is what informs the multiverse and every time DC has a crisis it’s multiverse is just dividing itself in 2 from the Metaverse, essentially saying that whatever is current continuity is the Metaverse, and whatever continuity gets replaced just ends up being another reality in the multiverse. That’s all well and good, but current continuity is already ignoring this idea and proceeding ahead regardless. Ironically Doomsday Clock is too late to the party. 

And the one core thing I really love about this book and it’s ideas is it’s value of Superman. I love the idea that Superman is the singular, most important, inarguable MVP of all possible existences. That Superman embodies hope, and as the comic says, Hope is the Metaverse’s North Star, so no matter what comes to fuck with it, Superman is it’s greatest defender, and it will defend the idea of Superman at all costs. Superman is my favourite DC character, and I kind of fucking love that in all honesty. This bit in particular, I don’t think overall the comic earns it, because the weight isn’t felt, but I still love the idea

Spoiler

DRYOnkH6mRNkc4QYZK56mZzUJmpicOMANwkeymDA
lklNsPcOvVjtBvRzjrKXyFBhOgQgwGHeaA1uwJpL
U_YSgyLFHkYwbdqrIgoAkK3L5f3cI24FhH_OjZAB
isksbJctJrrcwvyjgONNsepG7_uLhtyUEONfHATp
2eFWCfDC4QPJiYrMJ-4ZXv6STIFN6JF3Ksn_Ez7C

And all the stuff at the end with “Clark”, unfortunately I had already checked out to really care or even read it properly. 

I don’t know. I’m very conflicted and could comb through all the details and all my mixed feeling over each detail all day. Overall it’s a nice idea, I’m glad I read it, I’m glad it happened, but it’s a shame it doesn’t really feel like it has any impact. Because of the story itself, but also the dramatic delays in between issues. I think this comic would be much better served if thought of as an Else Worlds comic, and not something that ties in to actual continuity, despite the fact it tries so hard, too. 

Argh there’s so much to say but I can’t figure it out!

It probably depends on if you read comics as a kid but I feel like if you did there’s always a really random comic or random story that you probably remember for no real reason other than you just do. For me this is actually a story from Sonic the Comic, and I’ve thought about it a lot before but only half searched for it and never found it. Until tonight! All I remembered from it was it was a story about Knuckles in an elephant graveyard and (I thought) some select panels that for whatever reason stuck with me. 

Well, it isn’t quite what I remembered. I remembered it being grittier and darker than what it actually is. But then I also remembered Sonic the Comic being a well drawn comic and that hasn’t rung true, either. But, here it is. I found it.

V9YB_8ySojPFc0agN2nxUtsW7EgVfyrAPuBfHlcF
HAu-bRAQmK53mfdfsN8vq4qa7QmLEXn9uCyQV674
aKXM9yEJN4fOzmDZdyRUinoTfCglrHJcmhRtGggW

Also going through I think I know why I remembered this story. It’s because it’s actually the back up story in the issue where they did Sonic’s origin story and the attack of the million Metallix’s (#70-72, I never knew that until now)

Here’s that as well

Spoiler

b-rfYixuBRrIHLVc8EL72Z_UVPTo9gIc3_BqtTKa
RCJyfEPQOBG0HNlr7-F05xCZvPOeo0wWj6umx9RS
EYnxA2b_cIbKdFBgiTp-rFNhHS0uTGbcF80DvaxW
1UOUniiVfCHi9iSg7zDcXyg6ToYJDKRJlv8Y_UPB
IwBvFdKumShz_JwxpZNe5csjZ7WRfpcGsFuRT2IQ
fJ81kioN9V6UT9gXOlSwx2J5zKWT2uUtDRoIoo7r
GE6vL1xCgrz2zUaaOPLxAwGNW0iaV1DUCy4gtXfs

I never thought about it until now but Sonic Futurama’s himself. 

Super, extra bonus memory. When they made Knucklix and I thought it was the coolest shit in the world

Spoiler

qJ-SAvjDIUAry07jjSpd79wu7ae_AxxcbRn-2BWa
YBbtC-CLzlzWJGzOC70xblbVZhn41XKAu41j49gb
zXiyj7feKhdwf9rgcaVobdnPiwec8IoM2qQg1c-c
GxyqfnTMPdmFhPEIEdmPu1oIHf8NtTxYv49qErfB

Wow. Blasting through all these comics I read dozens of times each but still forgot 95% of was a real head trip ?

I love everything about this sequence from Absolute Carnage, it is so good. Particularly Stegman’s art, amazing

VgEqG4YGWkYw7cFLKbcWv6e9N3kJ3UaWYVrXA8mv

AE5C4yDGD6OXQcvon-MI9RTXOHIqKahlfAzcYrO8
sYD2Rjg5geXDjNXyjhcmuhFzsJMTjX22fhrGL20f

I’ve already pre-ordered my hard cover of Absolute Carnage. It has the main 5 issues but all the tie-ins as well which, some are good some are not, but I would much rather have an omnibus with all the story in than not

Finally FP have removed all of the comics they’re not selling anymore from the subscription page and the amount of pages to scroll through for Marvel comics has gone from 23 to 4. It’s so much better!

Also Wonder Woman and Flash both have their 750th issues coming up and here are some of the variants

Wonder Woman

Spoiler

wonder-woman-750-dc-comics-joelle-jones-
wonder-woman-750-dc-comics-J-Scott-Campb
wonder-woman-750-dc-comics-Jim-Lee-and-S
wonder-woman-750-artgerm-collectibles-st
wonder-woman-750-Planet-Awesome-Collecti
wonder-woman-750-Torpedo-Comics-Jim-Lee-
wonder-woman-750-J-Scott-Campbell-Varian

Flash

Spoiler

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdl
large-1285229.jpg?1574425551

• 2 weeks later...

I finally read the “new” Hellblazer #1 which is apart of DC’s “current” Sandman Universe series and it was almost one of my favourite comics of 2019 until the final 3rd of the issue where it kind of lost me. I don’t know if it’s because I’m tired, if the comic gets a bit reader interpreted or I’m really stupid but it didn’t stick the landing. But the first 2/3rds were great. I am no Constantine expert by any stretch. He is one of those characters that I’ve seen a lot in comics but have never read an actual Hellblazer/Constantine comic before. But the first 2/3rd of the book really managed to get me in to the character immediately, I understood the situation without any other material needed, and I really liked it a lot. The art is also crazy. 

AtYBAYuoKAahlaCYrmSEdVE5R7Yzz0-G9VlQOzSb

M7PCtzF2Kx72Lv0_T_datqe8yHlSFYceX1PhAyak

Oh, and

EP94qowWAAAq9w8.jpg

I dunno why but everything in this comic worked really well for me. I will read it again some point later this week when I’m not so tired to see if I get the end a little better. But also just for the fun of reading it. I love the writing, humour, the various art styles they use in the comic. Really, really great issue.

So about a year or so ago I dropped the new Dan Slott Fantastic Four comic because Slott’s writing I find to be really childish sometimes. And after loving FF in the past, the last time reading them was Hickman’s which was amazing, the fact they were coming back after years “away” (Read: Cancellation) after Secret Wars, getting to be on the ground floor of the new FF comic, I was really excited about it. Dan Slott was a big asterisks next to that excitement but excited all the same. But I dropped it after 4 issues because I just didn’t like it. I thought what they had been off doing was ridiculous, the big spider/reality witch thing they fought and how they won was dumb, and then they had the Fantastixs thing and that was really silly. I had to drop it, it was lame.

Well, working through some stacks of old, unread comics I got to Fantastic Four #5 (or #650 they plaster on the cover for this particular one) And it was the wedding special of Ben and Alicia

? ? ? 

Honestly, wow. Absolutely blown away by the quality, the warmth, the fun, the heart of this comic. After nearly 10 years of Slott writing Spider-Man very rarely did he ever approach this kind of Marvel-like, family orientated fun that this issue does all the way through. It will never be as smart or Profound as anything Hickman wrote for them, but it’s so much more classic FF than I’ve seen in such a long time. I loved it. Absolutely loved it. He just gets the characters so spot on. Nothing new, really. He folds some very minor retcons in to FF history here and there but they’re only small, additive details that helps enhance the message of what this family brings to the table anyway. 

I adored this comic. Like absolutely, with no qualifications, adored this comic. Let me share some of this gold

Ben and Sue, such an under appreciated but great relationship

Spoiler

RCO005.jpg

RCO006.jpg
RCO023.jpg

The Bachelor Party was so good! So many great jokes, moments and “shenanigans”

Spoiler

RCO027.jpg
RCO028.jpg

RCO029.jpg
RCO032.jpg

RCO033.jpg
RCO035.jpg

Ben & Johnny. Bros for life. This bit especially melted my heart. 

Spoiler

RCO039.jpg
RCO040.jpg

Sweet Aunt Petunia!...Oh, and of course Reed and Ben. Amazing friendship even after everything. 

Spoiler

RCO041.jpg
RCO042.jpg
RCO043.jpg
RCO044.jpg
RCO050.jpg
RCO051.jpg

If that is Lobo's eyes on the main cover, his involvement could be interesting.

RE: Fantastic Four (and X-Men, and Doom Patrol)

I've stuck with all three books, but I fell a little bit behind in discussing them. Both FF and DP are currently on the penultimate chapter of multi part stories. I wanted them to finish before I gave them an overall review. However, FF appears delayed and DP could well be on another Hiatus?

As for X-Men, up until the last issue, they were middling at best. Not all that much was happening until that issue. But Xavier, Magneto and Apocalypse went before the UN as the representatives for Krakoa...

clean.jpg

There was a little action as a side story, but the main meat of the issue was the exchanges between these three and the human delegates.

X-Men-4-spoilers-6-Professor-X-Charles-X

Pretty sure it is the first time Professor X has taken off the Cerebro too. Magneto's declaration of intent is both chilling and a highlight of Hickman's writing so far. X-Men #4 gets a 9/10

Recently read FF/X-Men #1. A mini-series wherein the X-Men are attempting to recruit the last Omega Mutant to join them on Krakoa, Franklin Richards. It's good but no real surprises as far as the story beats are concerned. As it is only three issues, I'll wait to review that one when it's complete.

• 2 weeks later...

As publicised King said he would do 100 issues of Batman, but due to low sales and a lot of criticism from reviews and fans DC ended it at 85. I’ve just been catching up and reading it, and I feel like page 3 of #85 is meta as fuck lol

OQQ9ZG6eqSjIRbsD96MyrHbkGJZwKEdT_Ox__PhS

“Now, Campbell is oh for seven on fourth-quarter comeback situations over the last 2 years”

(Many attempted stories where the pay off didn’t satisfy fans”

”He’s already had two interceptions and a fumble today”

(I don’t know, could be talking YotV and maybe behind the scenes editor stuff)

”He’s gotten boos all year when he’s come in”

(Fans)

”But”

(But)

”The game’s still going”

(There’s still the last issue)

”And you never know” 

(You never know)

Also this is an analogy for Batman’s story since his dad and Bane have just kicked his butt for 2 years straight, and this is the last issue for this story for him to set it right. But I don’t know, I also think this is about him writing his issue and seeing if this will get him some favour back with fans. It is a triple entendre or something