passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Comic Book Thread

hinn888

Everyone remembers in Avengers where Iron Man and Thor had a fight and it seemed like it was pretty even until Cap broke it up. 

THEY LYING TO YOU BRO

Spoiler

RCO006.jpg

RCO007.jpg

RCO008.jpg

RCO009.jpg

RCO010.jpg

RCO011.jpg

RCO012.jpg

RCO013.jpg

RCO014.jpg

“So, what do you say?”

RrRrRuUuUuMmMmBbBbLlLlEeEe

One of my favourite comic book fights. Man, Marvel comics are good today but they were so good back in the 00’s

One more just because it’s so god damn cool. King Thor vs Galactus 

Spoiler

005.jpg

006.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

And it goes on and on but there is so much joy to be taken from this fight. The writing is awesome, the art is awesome, the ideas are so much fun and it feels massive, and at times serious, but always fun ?

On 08/10/2019 at 12:02, Maf said:

If I ever catch up on my comic reading I plan to buy it. 

I might just give it a try at some point. I've recently caught up with Saga and I'm having trouble finding something equally good or at least not significantly worse. I've began reading Blackbird but it seems a bit ... simple. I've also ordered the first Paperback of Lazarus because the art-style is super cool, hopefully the writing can keep up.

sBOh1nZFsdrQbFcKVXMla2rryvq7DEju4tpO1Yt2

Powers of X #6 done. That’s the whole series (Has it really been 12 weeks that fast? Holy hell). I am...I don’t know. I liked it a lot, and there is no way I could have predicted the revelations in this final issue. At the same time, the ultimate end of what this has all been for is - not underwhelming - but quieter than what I imagined. 

The thing that the mutants are now trying to stop which evidently they didn’t know they were trying to stop, actually seems an inevitability. Through war or no war, this is the fate of the earth. So what can they possibly do? And I guess Moria knows that as well, but it doesn’t change the fact, well, then what can you actually do? What happens to the future isn’t, in my opinion, even necessarily evil. In this particular instance the way and why they reach this conclusion is evil, but no matter on what terms they get there, they will always get there. So the mutants can make things better for themselves along the way, but they can’t stop the end. 

So I guess I feel a bit unanswered about what the point of the whole thing was for now. That has definitely been answered, but the answer itself seems unbeatable. I guess because the X-Men don’t have an answer then neither do I.

Also they are still doing this thing where characters just seem evil. Look at this panel

EGd5UP2WsAErdBx.jpg

Presented without context, that smile probably comes across as evil. With context, it is even worse. 

And the language used after by other characters about what Moira has done to them, is kind of gross and made me feel very uneasy. Like I was saying previously about this series I’ve really, really loved it. But I don’t like the characters at all. Outside of Nimrod. Nimrod is god tier. 

I don’t know. This issue alone has a million and one things to unpack and digest and I’ve just finished it about 30 minutes ago so I guess I will have to see how it sits. Great reveals, specifically interesting is how Moira and Krakoa got here and how things still have not gone quite according to her plan so will this have extra ramifications down the line. Once again the extra journal notes might hold the most interesting content. And I think reading the whole series again with full information might bring to light even newer things that I didn’t pick up first time. 

I like comics for the wow moments, though. And for me HoX#4 is still the highlight of the series. This is the scariest death I’ve ever seen in a comic 

Ut9X9z5xVN1wOF7n8P87o8oCzQlQ1gJ4e7JPeGDQ

Brrr...that shit is chilling

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdl

House of X #6 & Powers of X #6

Years ago, IGN did a top 10 X-Men villains list.  Magneto, the iconic villain, was only number 2. Who was number one? The Human Race! The greatest foe to Mutantkind is humanity itself. Hickman, clearly, gets that too. 

So with this, the maxi series rebooting the entire X-Men line, draws to a close. Pretty much every personal prediction I made over where this was going, fell flat. My initial scepticism over Hickman taking on this task, based on those early YouTube videos, was thrown out the window. Back in 2001 Grant Morrison did essentially a Soft Reboot. Everything from before, still happened. He just drew a line in the sand and built his run on top of it. All previous lingering plot lines and character arcs fell to the wayside, yet he still stuck to the basic formula of X-men fighting for a world that fears and hates them, while teaching the new generation of Mutants at the Xavier school. Jonathan Hickman has, in effect, performed a complete reboot here. There is no school. For the most part, there is no X-Men present in this book. One that imitates the past, at any rate. Largely because this wasn't an X-Men story. This was a story of the Mutant race and where it goes from here. It involves every single one of them, be they previously good or evil. That simply hasn't been done before. Let alone on this scale or more importantly, this well written. Separately these final issues get a 9.5/10, as essentially they have to be read together as one overall finale.

The Maxi Series altogether, 10/10. The best X-Men mini series I've read to date.

Meanwhile...

Doom Patrol: Weight of the Worlds #4

Fantastic Four #15

Are both equally back to business as usual. ?

The promise of the initial story concept of FF#14 has been squandered already into something both predictable and generic. 5/10

Whereas Doom Patrol, after the refreshingly engaging narrative of the previous one and done has gone back to overly weird for the sake of it. Not helped by some dire artwork... 5/10

XMEN2019001_DC11.jpg

So Here we are. House of X and Powers of 10 has concluded and the 'Dawn of X' begins now. First off the bat, characterisation remains the same as the Maxi-series. This is Hickman's X-Men and his 'voice' remains the same as before. This issue primarily focuses on the Summers family (and Wolverine, who weirdly lives with them). Thanks to Krakoa-based technology (?), they live on the Moon. Nuff said.

Our POV character for this issue is Corsair, father to Cyclops, Havok and Vulcan. Who is introduced to this brave new world and offers his views on it. Yes, the same Corsair that was murdered a few years ago by Vulcan, who himself was later killed battling Blackbolt. Both are present and neither acknowledge those things. Basically the issue is saying: This is the rebooted continuity, they're here. Deal with it. Ultimately it was a strong first issue, giving a lot of hints at potential plot points down the road. Personally I'll just be sticking with this one and most likely wait for the other 'Dawn of X' stories to come out in trade. The only thing I'd say that lets down the issue is the art. Leinil Yu can be a bit polarising. He was a prolific Wolverine artist for many years and probably his most high profile work was the Event Comic Secret Invasion. He is strong when it comes to battle scenes and that remains the case here. Non-serious moments however...

19.jpg

Dat Smile...?

That said I am intrigued where this goes from here and issue one was in no way a drop in quality from the Maxi series that proceeded it, just a quieter more personal story. 8.5/10

• 3 weeks later...

Some classic artwork, courtesy of Arthur Adams:

tumblr_pwfokgdo0h1rwyqmxo1_1280.jpg

Marvel had this fantastic piece and what did they do with it?

tumblr_pwfokgdo0h1rwyqmxo2_1280.jpg

? Although, being the 90's, it is funny to see a Mutant in every single group. The Marvel Universe, as intended. Interesting to note some of the more 90's designs for certain characters EG Luke Cage, front and centre . "Boxy" AKA Modular Iron Man and Johnny Blaze (long hair, shades and stubble) on the right.  Oh and if you were curious why the "Justice League" are in this shot. It's not. It is The Invaders. Captain America's Golden Age Super Hero Team (hence why Bucky is pictured, who would remain completely dead and unused for at least another decade).

New comic book day!

EItuw5VXUAEE3td.jpg

Hulk becomes the last living being in the universe! Spider-Man has 2099 problems! But Mary Jane ain’t one as she gets her first ever solo series! Superman joins the marine corp! Hal abandons the GL corp! Carnage can’t understand why people don’t want their spines ripped out! Someone let Lionel Yu draw the X-Men so now they look like shit! Kingpin tries to figure out the best way to flush a dead body down the toilet! Human Torch gets tricked into a “science five”! And Sonic continues to fight off a robot zombie apocalypse! Yes, that is accurate! 

Favourite covers of the month 

Spoiler

jaa-AgpH5CeOVVaHpsAazs0C8HRcuJdNzQupCvyt

Miles Morales #12

RdyiM0DwtXyTQFKDdD_XBcTU8ghgtc6q7aFtJu-x

Young Justice #10

RZ-OT9tnzOC7RkbI09wFYsGXdnP1D81dGg1NgmUq

Magnificent Ms Marvel #12

yOIrt71R6D7teQoiv6ryuQdMD1NTcSKNMOwHG7At

Green Lantern Black Stars #1

gfqlsZeaY0BqTB8ENhNSl7jDgKUUYqKZlB7f54ga

Absolute Carnage #4

KernQSEVSkHos9sq_ij1hOKfEiqbUKR40iRRY7zn

Captain Marvel #11

aMcO6-iJz_2ii-ALA3-2P6RRHd2dbKd31nuhDEqL

Web of Black Widow #2

C67s3X7LUX2UNCrFY_DeybrER2R1EYCjvO4vaXdI

Spider-Man #2

p7RD_96VOA7SrF8YS8M2on_66veLgkoJmj_iU3_A

Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen #4

gVvdPeJ5SOVBEl9_q9sbx29-Z475Et6qW1QAci-B

Amazing Spider-Man #32

m-e7f50w-S5kh4y-pw_hv-5aQRbcspR_RtZAdcUL

Amazing Spider-Man #33

bbsuW9cTsN6zG5XHD_wVWUYw2u0hZ9fHhuUYxHWm

Silver Surfer Black #5

It’s not a bird. It’s not a plane. And what writer Brian Michael Bendis really wants you to know is, it’s not a trick.

Superman will reveal his secret identity to the world next month in the pages of his self-titled series from DC Comics. No more nonprescription glasses and combing back the s-curl to blend in with the society he protects. No more slouching. No more phone booths. (Well, it’s probably been a while since he’s used one of those.) But Superman is coming clean, and Bendis says the new story line he wrote will be a lasting change for the Man of Steel

Oh, Bendis. Ruin Superman’s origin? Check. Ruin Superman’s marriage? Check. Ruin Superman’s kid? Check. Next on the list.

• 2 weeks later...

This looks kind of cool

WWDE01_0Cover_not_FINAL_w_logo-mockup_R1

The celebrated creator of Murder Falcon and Extremity and artist of The Ghost Fleet, Daniel Warren Johnson brings bold sci-fi chops to his DC debut with a harrowing vision of Wonder Woman unlike anything you’ve ever seen. 

Princess Diana of Themyscira left paradise to save Man’s World from itself. When Wonder Woman awakens from a centuries-long sleep to discover the Earth reduced to a nuclear wasteland, she knows she failed. 

Trapped alone in a grim future, Diana must protect the last human city from titanic monsters while uncovering its secret of this dead Earth-and how she may be responsible for it.

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

I finally sat down and read every #1 of all the new X-Men books and I won’t go super in depth, for some there’s not a lot to talk about anyway, but here is my quick opinions of these books.

X-Men continues to have that ‘off’ feeling that was also felt in HoX and PoX, but also very little happens bar setting up the Summers’ family and they find a post human. The big draw back to this book is the art which, hey, it’s better than I can do but I don’t like it. And I kind of hate what they’re doing with Storm. She constantly comes across as a Nazi zealot army general. And there’s seemingly no justification for it. For most of the other characters I’ve come to terms with how they are, but Storm is the one key to me that makes me think the real X-Men are buried deep in Krakoa somewhere. 

New Mutants is a pretty decently fun comic about a cast of characters I just don’t give a shit about. Want to read a book about Cypher, Wolfsbane and Chamber? No me either but Hickman’s writing it so I’m assuming it will need to be read. And the dialogue has some snap to it so I’m hoping I will like these characters eventually.

Fallen Angels is a comic about mutants on Krakoa that are unsatisfied with peace and want to fight so are working for Sinister to go do that. The main character is Kwannon who is using the name Psylocke and Psylocke is now Captain Britain and argh I didn’t realise we was going to have to deal with that but here we are. It’s Ok. I didn’t like the art on the first few pages but really came around it by the end.

Next was Excalibur. For whatever reason the gates created by Krakoa are messing with the Otherworld and Morgan Le Fey now wants to kill all the mutants. I think clearly this is all a plan set up by Apocalypse but I have no idea what the end game is for him. 

X-Force is a really crazy comic where some band of cyborg humans invade Krakoa, kill a bunch of mutants and blow Xavier’s head off. Yeah. I am only surprised by this because this is such an obvious idea you think it would come later when they ran out of good ones. There is a modicum of intrigue around this comic because of the interactions of characters and it’s the only comic where you start to see some actual conversation about how this island is run. They’re not great questions and they go largely unanswered but they are there. 

And finally, my pick, Marauders which is excellent. It is about Kitty Pryde who, for some reason is rejected by Krakoa and she can’t use the portals all the X-Men travel in now, and can only reach the island by boat. So she takes up an offer by Emma Frost to be the captain of the new Hellfire Club Trading Company, and she gets her own boat and is essentially in charge of Krakoa’s imports and exports that for whatever reason can’t come by portal. Also she gets to smuggle drugs on the sneaky to keep the black market for these drugs in order. They don’t go in too much detail about how this works, and it’s weird the trading company seems to only have one boat (Maybe they do the rest by portal, who knows) but Kitty Pryde is now a fucking pirate and it’s great. 

ELJtDgiXsAAuQSG.jpg

Overall I don’t feel like any of these books are a patch on HoX or PoX where nearly every issue of each series was riveting and left me trying to guess what would happen next, and then I would be delightfully wrong. Despite all of these books very much still involved in all of this Krakoa stuff to different degrees, most of them don’t feel like they matter to the overall idea, and the ones that do feel like they matter are the comics I like the least. I really feel like Lienil Yu’s art is just such a huge, huge step down from the artists before that it immediately devalues any interest I have in the book by 50%. And not only is Yu just not my cup of tea at all, nearly every other X-Men book is clearly taking his style as a lead and trying to imitate it. I really, really don’t enjoy the art in many of these comics except for Marauders which is it’s own thing and is off the bat so much fun. Kitty Pryde is probably my favourite X-Men character, honestly. I don’t even know why I like her so much but she makes me happy whenever she’s in a panel. 

I went more in depth than I meant too whoops

For anyone who might be a bit interested the House of X/Powers of X hardcover comes out December 20th. A little bit expensive, maybe, but if you like X-Men or comics in any way this is the comic to get this year. It is a fairly dark, high concept, science fiction mystery and unlike any X-Men story before. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/House-X-Powers-Jonathan-Hickman/dp/1302915703/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2N0QTIDATQUVN&keywords=house+of+x+powers+of+x&qid=1576060894&sprefix=House+of+X%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-1

81gQe4BatJL.jpg

Holy shit. Jorge Jimenez who I’ve been raving about since Super Sons (great comic) and Justice League (Which to me his art has been propping up that series) has announced his next comic he is working on is...Batman!

Wow. Batman has had some superb artists and colourists on over the past couple of years but I’m excited about this. Below is a taste of what to expect it to look like, I guess.

ELhR71_W4AARRM6?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I’ve been saying for well over a year this guy is DC’s best artist. Glad it’s been recognised by up high and he gets to draw their biggest comic.