passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Comic Book Thread

hinn888

On 03/08/2019 at 21:39, Maf said:

Err, this is literally a comic that’s coming out 

STL134154?type=1

Every single details about this cover seems at odds about every other detail

? I wonder if they will reference The New Frontier at all? You know the scene...

Spoiler

RCO230.jpg

New comic book day!

EBivlmzXUAIw1gi?format=jpg&name=large

Some pretty exiting stuff this month. Comics to be extra excited about are

House of X #1 & #2

Powers of X #1

Absolute Carnage #1

Batman Who Laughs #7

Daredevil #8 & #9

My favourite covers of the month

Spoiler

House of X #2

JBfPmFn_0VWFdbq-JYy-m8oC44uLUVY-70xKCk5S

Domino: Hotshots #5

pEtkQsOB-GaouVotAolqtb8qaj9GJF6ILqIHLYU4

Young Justice #7

O3zhFusLrQfUxmDVu18jfZC5xRA1W_52TexOA_Hp

Justice League Dark #13

7jvZ-pIfscn_gtZ4ZsjWETU4-2jJP4tGAgBk6aEp

Champions #8

BaGcmOA_Q6dfS0iNMGaHbXh8NAGmjXgh5KAm2Kyu

The Magnificent Ms Marvel #5

_47yohfeF8Ej80eADtotUxgHs-SHb-5LLerAPzdO

Miles Morales: Spider-Man #8

4hDFY56k23Z6Z1E-w2KncqcPdZfC16RATSth4pnx

Daredevil #8

IIKpibvEGljyHJJD2ckx1FlXJwc-BSJN615fJ506

Superman #13

U-zHgUpJr1ibRAJjilEY85-CRdazPPj-CQ8UUzji

Holy fucking hell. I was about to say that Powers of X was the best comic of 2019

Then I read House of X #2 and holy fucking hell. This. Is. Insane. 

Does this mean that House of X is a different timeline invading the current one? Or is each one of Moira’s lives the exact same timeline? In old Marvel time travel rules big changes in action make and branch different timelines, so is Moira being reincarnated at a fixed point and creating 10 different time lines? Is it not House of ‘X’ but House of ‘10’? This Charles Xavier and his Krakoa pod mutants are the tenth timeline invading? 

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

The info pages alone are knock your fucking socks off. Just this gave me goosebumps 

jemv9hjAFCWUrQXpa-Drx39X06DCz-f1QULgBYQs

Even the little tiny tiny bits on the side make me nervously excited

[HORS]

[EMEN]

Also from an art perspective I thought this page was fucking crazy 

Anb_qd38bDohroDnqEQhgG1ifyv2e64iWAljlqzp

Oh, and fucking NIMROD!!!

DM2bWVfWqxi9YSd0Ps0n7z8N_hHkjTYs_E30vH2U

Completely not what I was expecting of him at all, and still absolutely loved it. My new favourite villian (?) of 2019

EDIT: Also the ‘Lost Decade’ ? we all know the X-Men have been shit for a long time but what a way to just not give a fuck and throw the whole series but all the people who worked on it since Schism, basically, under the fucking bus. 

The lost decade bit did make me smile. He's not wrong either. As I've mentioned before, pluck out Morrison's New X-Men, Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force and Si Spurrier's X-Men Legacy, you can practically dump every other mainline X-Book of the 2000's-10's in the trash.

house-of-x2-cover.jpg

So yeah, House of X #2. It is another 9/10.

It really puts into perspective the Tweet Hickman wrote, that Maf pulled a while back. He is going back and actively reshaping X-Men canon. Not just stamping his own ideas on top of the pile, like virtually everyone else has done previously. Or cast the majority to one side and start over, as Morrison and Whedon did. An issue of X-Men centred around Moira Mactaggart and it is actually probably the best focus piece she has ever had. I know some online have decried that she doesn't have the Scottish accent to her speech anymore. But in light of this story, I'm not even sure if it is the same character as before? Roll on the next chapter, Powers of X (Ten) #2. At this point, I really can't see where this is going. Which is really interesting.

As much as everyone is saying that the new X-Men comics “Changes everything you ever knew about the X-Men!”

Does it, though ?

It changes everything about Moira, I guess. I don’t know much about her honestly. She was always a very, very background character to me who, sometimes, helps out the X-Men. She is like the Spider-Man equivalent of Liz Allen or something. I mean Apart from giving birth I couldn’t even tell you anything major she’s ever done. So maybe it does change everything and I just don’t know (Or am forgetting). But I’m sure even if I went back and read any Moira centric stories or stories she did important things in, she still did those things. Whether they retcon she had knowledge she definitely didn’t have originally is neither here nor there. She still did whatever it is she does and in the ‘main’ Marvel timeline, and the ‘main’ Marvel timeline still is what it is up to this point. 

You could argue that retconning Moira Mc-fucking-Taggart just became one of the most important and essentially critical person in the history of Marvel is a big deal. But it still doesn’t actively change the main timeline. It’s just crazy to think a very C-tier character now, probably, becomes one of the keys to everything. 

Maybe more stuff will be revealed or I’m not considering something, but to me this only has the potential to change everything going forward, and in ways I don’t even know because who knows what the fuck will happen next, anyway. 

Also not only is the cover for House of X #2 amazing like I said before but once you read the book you realise it isn’t just a cool picture and actually is really clever and tells you everything 

Aside from that I was catching up on Superman, Action Comics and Lois Lane today. The first two written by Bendis and have medium highs and medium lows. This bit where Superman ends an intergalactic battle between 3 races was cool. 

6pRLX5ytGYpuV-bwXebqWdb36UQEB1IkqTwRh0ca

“I said ‘please’” lol. 

But the Greg Rucka Lois Lane book is actually amazing and easily the best Superman-related title in my pull list. It does a really fantastic job at ripping from real world headlines about detainee camps, satirical jabs at the president being on social media and after Lois Lane asks questions that are too hot at a press briefing Lois gets her White House press crendentials revoked which I think is a spin on a similar real world event that happened to a female reporter recently. 

It also, almost effortlessly but convincingly, manages to justify the fact that Clark and Lois are married, happily, sleeping together, but aren’t living together and working independently and it makes sense why they would do so. That plot point is a Bendis creation that, along with many other character actions, that don’t make any fuckins sense in the main comics but Rucka picks it up easily and just makes it seem sensible. 

wN0L-QUSyZdCdQDQGXxiIOm4WiOvinuSaYR6c1T_

gQJIG-nMwrj6h2RBNUFwH0KXbgnGG5rag0khvHMo

Boom. Done. 

Anyway, Lois Lane #1 and #2 are excellent. I like it’s political relevancy, I like it’s character work, wit and tone, the overarching plot is a slight bit light so far but it is very readable and compelling all the same. 

Powers of 10 certainly gives scenes like this, a far darker context:

XMen1280009.jpg

(X-Men #128)

Moira was Xavier's second ally, after his initial meeting with Magneto. She is far more important to the beginning of the X-Men than films, cartoons etc have ever portrayed her. Although her debut didn't really go that far into it...

64245016_2333976163542161_71311031905953

(Uncanny X-Men #96)

As she began in the Second Genesis Era (70's revival era) as Xavier's "housekeeper". The above panel always makes me chuckle. This is her debut issue and the Mansion grounds get invaded by demons (the TL:DR description). So she runs into the X-Men armoury, (which no one even knew they had at this point? I mean why would the Mutants need guns?) and is ready to charge the monsters with an M16 assault rifle. The issue with Moira is she was then palmed off to secondary titles. So most people wouldn't be familiar with her continued story, up until her death, in X-Men #108, at the conclusion of the Dreams End arc.

Spoiler

xavier38.jpg

Mactaggert_5.jpg

So Hickman turning such attention to her is an extremely deep cut into X-Men lore.

There are a number of huge comic characters that I just don’t like. Wolverine (With some exceptions), Harley Quinn (All the time), Ghost Rider (Is probably my most not cared about character of all time) and 

EB4NAvjVUAUbl_m?format=jpg&name=4096x409

But as announced today/yesterday the new series is being written by Kelly Thompson (Current Captain Marvel writer, bar the Obligatory War of the Realms tie ins has been decent, and Hawkeye when Kate moved to LA and became a crappy private eye, which was amazing) and drawn by Chris Bachalo who is one of my favourite Spider-Man artists of all time

T_SPM0rMDG4oUw-uC6oKSyewY8a6c4RmxWKPVZ9l

Q7cBLI2gUZrc5aemms2AdVjbqUU-BPrmH_4IA_xP

It’s just chaotic, disproportionate but literally bursting at the sides of the panels with action and crazy. 

I might have to pick up the new Deadpool. These two are really awesome and I want to see what they do together.

EDIT 

Although I did mean to post this the other day for the WotR Captain Marvel stuff because as super disposable as it was this selection of pages did make me laugh (Keep an eye on the background)

Spoiler

ZfRd9be8WMsAmKWG8n9ttG_BkwuW_48seArsuYk6

LrIFR8wdpk24sqorw5fgOYTryvhlzVILCcrd001H

_O0bISJAYm4H49HAh-g-LcGvRW0h1wxwWcUR8N_N

LTRz_dC2eBjMF9fzBPkcu8wyziDX2gOjw6b84to7

I finally read all of The Batman Who Laughs miniseries and I’m kind of mixed on it. As much as I think Snyder has obviously done some great Batman stories, and this one from scene to scene is pretty good, there’s a feeling overall this story is really strained, repetitive and goes on way too long. And as much as I like Snyder’s writing there are some very struggling metaphors in this. 

E.g “The Batman Who Laughs spoke about learning from a bat. He said that a bat being the only mammal that can fly, is an example of what we can achieve if we embrace our primal nature. But maybe it’s the opposite. I mean, look at a damn bat. A bat isn’t designed for flight the way a bird is, with hollow bones and feathered wings. For wings it uses it’s own flesh, stretched between fingers that reach too far. A bat’s flight is about defying what comes naturally, achieving what’s hard...what’s painful, but sublime. And for better or worse, that’s Batman, isn’t it? He says defy your nature—defy everything—to be better than you’re supposed to be.”

Snyder has been writing this kind of shit for years, and even if I can’t remember anything specific off the top, sometimes he does it really well and it can be really interesting interpretations of Batman or Gotham or the Waynes or even broader strokes like family and the like. But I had to quote the specific text above because after one of the most overwrought endings for a writer who’s signature trait is not knowing when to stop this almost made me facepalm. Thankfully it comes in the last 2 pages. 

But there are great things about the series, too. This is definitely the lowest and most beaten down I’ve ever seen Batman. This is limit breaking stuff. And even if the overall plot can’t sustain 7 issues the moments certainly can and at least a couple of times every issue left me like “Well, how the fuck is he going to get out of this?”. And for select quotes of bad writing there’s really good writing as well. Obviously the main hook to this series is The Batman Who Laughs himself who is a legit bad guy. I’m not sure if he’ll stand the test if time but since Dark Knights Metal through Justice League to now he is scary. On a basic level it is just “What if you fused Batman and Joker together”, but he also certainly feels like more than that. Joker and Batman fused might be the baseline idea but the end result is he is truly a nightmare Batman. Even Owlman is just what if Batman was a bad guy, this is like what if Batman was Freddy Krueger? 

And easily the art art does a lot of heavy lifting for this book and Jock is perfectly suited to a storyline this dark and nightmarish. 

RCO006.jpg

VU47f4iEo93ltBW9HO3Z-W5Z0cXBWvR4IpjOElJg

3_kJL1c_XcnbMuBkDX1MrZotEy1THS75OeFKwKdG

So this post is way too long but I wanted to get it out because it’s been a series I’ve been following for months and in the beginning was red hot on it, and still like it a lot, but just felt like it went on way too long with not enough going on plotwise despite a lot of cool and crazy moments that kept the ball rolling on a small level. Will definitely read again in 6 month or whatever when I pick an issue up an am like “Oh, yeah, what was all this again?” 

Meanwhile...

STL126233.jpg

Powers of X [10] #2

We are officially through the looking glass. The three timelines are expanded upon in ways I certainly wasn't expecting. Spoiler free, as always, but the context behind this:

POWERSOFX2019002_int_6_2.jpg

..Is game changing. Even the far future timeline, that I wasn't really interested in, has been flipped on its head into something with pretty dark ramifications.

9/10 - Hickman is doing very well right now!

So twice in the past week I’ve come across “Made bot study thing, now bot produced this”. I don’t know if this is a real thing or an online joke but regardless it’s still been really funny. According to Twitter the following was created after a bot watched 800 hours of Batman movies

EB22QEIX4AABe1P?format=jpg&name=large

EB22QEHXUAI4ZX7?format=jpg&name=large

The Alfred landing heads up bit really made me laugh

Doomsday Clock #10

JAN190586.jpg

“It’s 1956. Superman is seen in Metropolis for the first time. 25 years earlier, the winds change on a farm in Kansas.

The reverberations of this change affect not only this world, but every world in the multiverse. Superman is no longer seen in 1938. It’s 1956.

No. It’s October 1986.

I begin to realise I’ve misinterpreted what this universe actually is. I look to the future. Following Superman’s trail of influence. Even a 1000 years from now...his hope is alive.

Why is he the centre of the universe? I grow curious.

As I watch reality come crashing down, I realise that this universe is not a part of the multiverse as others believe. The multiverse reacts to this universe. It is the Metaverse. This universe stands apart from the multiverse.

It is April 18, 1938.

I have recreated the metaverse.”

Spoiler

ECuTKAFW4AAiUSX.jpg

?