passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Comic Book Thread

hinn888

5 minutes ago, RikSP said:

I've spent £60 on Moon Knight books this week and I do not regret it at all.

Nor should you. Moon Knight has been a solid read for quite some time now. Enjoy ?

Tom King and Mitch Gerards do good at the Eisner awards this year. King won best short story for the Swamp Thing special they did a while go and best writer, Gerards wins best artist and together they win best limited series for Mister Miracle 

RCO015.jpg

RCO016.jpg

It’s not hard to see why. God this book is so fucking good. 

Kind of a funny one is Zdarsky won an award for best single issue/one shot for his final on Peter Parker, Spectacular Spider-Man. Which he wrote it and drew it all himself so probably why he gets such praise for it. And it is quite good. But Dan Scott for his final Amazing Spider-Man issue basically did the same thing and doesn’t get a mention anywhere. Not that I’m actively out to enjoy Slott being snubbed but I’ll enjoy it when it comes along. 

Also Jen Bartel won best cover artist for Blackbird 

blackbird-1_3ac36ee880.jpg

I’ve seen this book about before and meant to pick it up just of the strength of the look alone. I should do that at some point.

Full list of winners here https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/2019-eisner-awards-complete-winners-list-1225835

King and Gerards next project announced

Adam Strange is a character I know next to nothing about, but was looking at some trades on Amazon a while ago but they were all Silver Age stuff which is a no thanks. Guess this will be my jumping on point. 

Mister Miracle easily earned those accolades. Hopefully Immortal Hulk will be up for some next year. The best Hulk book in years.

Meanwhile, from SDCC:  Toys & Statues

Patrick Gleason, one of my favourite DC artists, starts his exclusive contract with Marvel on Amazing Spider-Man #32

EAVVWq0UEAAR-Na?format=jpg&name=large

A variant cover for #25

001_a5a8c21a-1a6e-445d-9f3d-115d22082854

Very excited about this. Now, if they can just swap out the writer I think we’d be on to a real winner

PARTIAL SPOILERS

Everyone is going mad over House of X and tired of waiting for my copy to turn up I cheated and read it online.

What the fuck

I’m not sure it really hit me the way it is hitting everyone else. But I’m also really tired so when I get the issue in my hands and read it again maybe it will do more for me. 

It’s quite a...unsettling story, I think. All of the mutants are acting really creepy. My suspicion is they are not the real mutants and Xavier has used Krakoa to clone fake versions of them and got the real ones locked up there like what happened to the X-Men the first time they went to Krakoa.

I don’t know this for fact just pure speculation. 

The comic seems to have zero consideration for current Marvel continuity? The FF are in the Baxter building, Magneto is back in his white costume, Jean Grey seems really young, I thought the Avengers run A.I.M now, it seems to no way lead out of or have any references to the terrible X-Men run happening before this or anything to do with the fight between Legion and X-Man and all the alternate reality shit. Which is not a bad thing because that was a mind numbingly boring comic. But it also makes House of X feel like it’s come straight out of nowhere. Which maybe that’s the intention. I don’t know but I was very confused by certain parts of it. 

Either way, interesting start, I wonder what it will all means. 

Spoiler

Big deathstar Sentinal muthafucka is real cool

aR6atgM4YuFAwpsDvtzw_6Ghim6SGYxW8b9TptKu

Thing vs Sabertooth

46XXtCP71dNhxfdM9g5mnahn0c8tsK1m__Stj5J2

Uh-oh

0MuJ3qZIBs8nGeO7YxHBTK9qowtjh_mFc9OSd3L8

New Definition of Omega Level Mutants

K7MWX0xIlQtUIIefpW1PZL1xAZUKqGQTNpVBR6cw

Hickman's mandate seems to be along the same lines as when they gave the keys to Grant Morrison with New X-Men: Wipe it clean and start again. After reading the first issue, I now have higher expectations than I did before.

Also a staple of decent X-Men stories is that the Mutants exist in their own bubble. Hickman is rebooting the X-Men, the rest of the MU should only be acknowledged in broad strokes. I don't really like the white Magneto costume but, it is to visually signify he is back to "ally" status.

A friend of mine read AvX not too long ago and asked me why Xavier is suddenly alive in this... That was a long conversation?

So, we have this Limited Edition Sideshow Collectibles ($450) Art Print:

x-men-a-legend-reborn_marvel_gallery_5d3

Which, of course, is a homage to this:

latest?cb=20070227013216

Yet, to my eye, the former neither looks as good, nor worth nearly $500. Maybe SC should have commissioned Jim Lee or Alex Ross for the more expensive one.?

scaled.strikeforce2019001_dc11.jpg

NO COMPROMISE. NO MERCY. ALL NEW, ONGOING SERIES! From the dark minds of rising stars Tini Howard and Germn Peralta comes a tale of the underside of the Marvel Universe! 

A new threat is secretly taking over the planet – and the more people who know about it, the more powerful the threat becomes. Blade dealt with this threat once before, and hoped to never have to again. He can’t bring the Avengers in on this – not just for their own safety, but for the safety of everyone on Earth. 

So he must recruit a team of heroes accustomed to darkness – a strikeforce. Blade, Angela, Spider-Woman, Wiccan, the Winter Soldier, Monica Rambeau and Daimon Hellstrom join forces to fight the fights that no other Marvel team can take on

?

What

That sounds bad. The team seems really disjointed and nonsensical. Blade and Daimon Hellstrom are the only ones that seem to fit the brief to even be in the book???

Midnight.jpg

Why not just make a new volume of this? 

771684._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg?fit=1280,19

Now this, is how you reboot a series as long running as X-Men. My physical copy arrived today and there is a lot more to this issue than the panels themselves. Hickman has jumped straight into the deep end. There are references to Omega Sentinels aka the human sized variety. They haven't really been a thing since Operation: Zero Tolerance back in '97. He has even gone so far as to re-classify some characters' power tier, in print! Storm and Magneto, for example are officially 'Omega Level' Mutants as of the canon of this issue. A lot of characters, as I've mentioned power levels before, have been left for years in a situational and nebulous ranking system. One that varied from writer to writer. Obviously this is completely spoiler free, as I always do, but this is the most impressed by a single issue since Mister Miracle in 2017. The book I then touted as the best comic book I've read in 20+ years.

nkcjvxqrxd7sgazh0d1l.png

9/10 

Cover for Captain Marvel #11

EBOagoAVAAA-sVc.jpg

I was thinking about this the other day, actually. Marvel comics love trying to find ways to tie in to the MCU so they’re more similar. So just before the CM movie came out they did a comic called the Life of Captain Marvel. And in it they retconned that Carol didn’t get her powers from a Kree explosion (Essentially), but actually her mother was Kree and the explosion and Mar-vell only “kick started” her Kree powers. Which I get in a #Metoo world perhaps having your foremost female superhero be (essentially) a 13th rib cast off from a legacy character isn’t a good look so let’s make Carol her own superhero. Which I get, and is good, but the book was very forgettable and the retcon is lame. But when reading it I was like “Oh, this is what they’ll do in the movie or something to this effect”

Then when I watched the film the other week she gets her powers from a Kree explosion and it was like, then what the fuck was going on with that comic?

POWEROFX2019001_DC11.jpg

So now we enter the companion book to House of X. The former, gives a somewhat eerie look at the current status quo of the Mutants. Powers, in contrast, goes full on High Concept X-Men. The book balances four timelines. The past, the present, 100 years into the future and 1000 years. Each is suitably mental, especially the latter stories. This time the supplementary material paints an overwhelming dark picture of the Marvel Universe to come. Where in desperation the Mutants entrust their future to a certain mad geneticist, and that goes about as well as expected. There are vague echoes of Grant Morrison's Here Comes Tomorrow, from New X-Men (IMO his best arc on that run) here too. Although this is only part 1 of 6 for these stories and this is perhaps the least New Reader friendly book of the two, it is bloody brilliant. 9/10

latest?cb=20190711073226

In contrast....

Bad cover aside, this issue is a lot less exciting than it should be. The Immortal Hulk, as mentioned on the cover, is the current status quo for Banner (really recommend that book, BTW) However, in context to this appearance, it could be any version of him. As - spoiler free - it doesn't really matter. We also have a caveat in the set up wherein Ben Grimm can shed his Thing-skin at regular intervals now? I must admit, I did trail off FF prior to this book's release, for at least a couple years. So maybe that is an actual thing, not just invented to give artificial stakes to this issue? Or to make the idea of Thing and Alicia's honeymoon a little less... Grimm (?) Either way it is, at least, a two part story and nothing much happens in terms of the actual fight here. 6/10

Oh and there is a back up story on the displaced Future Foundation kids that flew off into space looking for the dissembled parts of Molecule Man (All of which means nothing if you didn't read the first arc of this book, naturally) which is setting up their own book which is about to launch. Wasn't particularly interested in that either...