passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Comic Book Thread

hinn888

Honestly my issues of FF have been stacking up ever since the Fantastixs or whatever it was. I just can’t deal with Dan Slott at all. I might need to unsubscribe and come back when they get a new writer. But that could be 8 years+ with Slott writing it

I think he needs to play more to his strengths when it comes to the FF rogues gallery. Clearly no one in the Spider-Man roster is on par with Dr. Doom, Galactus etc So Slott should aim for the villains more on the lower tier he is used to. Puppet Master, The Wizard, Mole Man, Red Ghost, Blastaar etc Because if the last two arcs are any indication, someone like Annihilus is far beyond his ability.

2nd to maybe only Superman I think Daredevil still has the best origin story. I was just re-reading Zdarsky’s new DD book (Which is awesome) and this two page almost made me well up 

-n3FShdbtoIMSfGdTq8nOJqiyLO_3xwGCaYjJYTi

coxlBvfeSMvIScXZggSw77ZJ8hMoAslVAfD-NVZl

Not really. The X-Men are great characters but most of their origin stories are too out there and whacky to be effective. A blind 10 year old is more human and effective than a guy who”s family died in a plane crash caused by aliens, or a guy who was paralysed fighting a psychic demon in a monk’s temple or...Cable. 

Like they’re fun, but they don’t really strike any real emotions for me and don’t see how any of them could be relatable at all. Even Angel is a billionaire. 

26 minutes ago, Maf said:

Not really. The X-Men are great characters but most of their origin stories are too out there and whacky to be effective. A blind 10 year old is more human and effective than a guy who”s family died in a plane crash caused by aliens, or a guy who was paralysed fighting a psychic demon in a monk’s temple or...Cable. 

Like they’re fun, but they don’t really strike any real emotions for me and don’t see how any of them could be relatable at all. Even Angel is a billionaire. 

Ahem....

583349-magneto_marko_djurdjevic02final.j

You did pick three of the wackiest examples to be fair. Cable has one of the most convoluted origin stories in comics.

Also, prior to retcon, Xavier wasn't paralysed by The Shadow King... It was done by an alien. Called Lucifer. 

Maybe for you tragedy is what makes a great origin story but for me when I say it strikes emotion, tragedy can be apart of that absolutely, but for me it’s more about the heroism or the altruism, I suppose. It’s why I think Superman has the best origin story because it is simply the question of: You are the most powerful person on Earth, there is nothing that you can imagine that you can’t do. What are you going to do next? 

And the answer is 

D8Eqz5mX4AEh3da.jpg

Like I love that. It makes me feel good reading about someone who is just good. It’s why I hate any stories about Superman going evil or whatever, like what a boring use of that character and how unimaginative. In most cases that is a two dimensional writer who is like “I don’t know what to do here”

What I love about DD’s origin story, in particular later retellings of it and what Zdarsky nails in those pages posted earlier is the coping with the anger. He is trying so hard to be OK with a punishment that is categorically unfair, but even then you see Daredevil in him. It is literal blind rage, and guilt about being angry when he feels justified to be so. I just don’t think there is any character in comics who has the thematic consistency or texture of Daredevil. It all fits together so well. 

I'm a Hollow Tin Man, it is rare in the extreme anything taps any kind of emotional cord with me. So I look to origins that I can relate to the motivations being put in front of me. The basis of most X-Men origins is the story of fear and hate...

doyouknowwhatyourchildrenare.jpg?w=600&h

Swap out "Mutie" for the slur of your choice. The result is the same.

The Mutants are allegory to every oppressed minority. If you have felt or heard someone discriminated against because of skin colour, sexual orientation, disability etc The X-Men will resonate with you. If you feel different and/or an outcast from "normal" society, The X-Men will resonate with you. Superman has always been an aspirational figure. An ideal to look upto. The story of the X-Men is about inspiration. The desire to do good and give aid to those that would sooner spit in your face than accept help from "your kind".

I had another £100+ comic subscription bill go out the bank today so I’m trying to review it and make cuts so it’s at a reasonable price, but not only can I not cut the cord on the comics I’m buying I log in to Forbidden Planet today to see now they’re listing more cool stuff like a new Batman and Superman comic, the Absolute Carnage event, and they even got Matt Fraction to write the Jimmy Olsen book which I know the face of it is like “Man, fuck Jimmy Olsen” and yes but this was the same guy that turned Hawkeye in to a modern Marvel masterpiece when everyone was like “Man, fuck Hawkeye”. 

This is is so much more difficult than it has any right to be. 

D73ecEIUIAAU1cW.jpg

Fantastic Four #10 - War of The Realms Tie-In

It was... fine. I don't really expect anything noteworthy from Tie-in issues and this certainly didn't raise that bar. I don't like Slott's interpretation of Franklin Richards. I get the 'rebellious, angsty teen' trope but he is literally a God-Child, raised by the premier superheroes on the planet. The writing comes off as a bit trite and very Spider-Man. As for the tie-in "threat". The FF have put down such adversaries on their own with little effort. This is where trying to elevate Thor and/or Avengers rogues to significant adversaries falls flat. The FF (and X-Men) have put down gods, living planets etc So an invasion of Demons and Giants isn't really all that intimidating, outside of an Avengers/Thor story. 5/10 

Speaking of War of the Realms I read #1 of that, issues #13 and #14 of Venom and #12 of Iron Man which were also WotR tie-ins. WotR main title was pretty good and fun. I’m not up to date with Thor at all, I’m still around 2015-2016 Thor comics so there are things that lost me. Thor has multiple hammers, a talking dog, a baby sister, etc. But for the most part it is super understandable and readable even for someone who isn’t up to date. Despite what @OCH thinks this does feel like A-grade, world ending trouble with every bad realm invading Earth at once and pretty quickly everyone but the biggest guns (Cap Marvel, She-Hulk other Asgardians) start to feel very outmatched. But at the same time it is fun, and quick and the comic really moves. 

The Venom tie-ins on the other hand felt incredibly forced but still somewhat entertaining. Especially because Dreamstone/Asgardian Venom looks kind of bad ass 

Yob6J2JPjiCpdtu77Yg1s8xkK82ycDpcdjCRlfgE

Hardly essential reading unless you’re a completionist (And you probably should be for this series it is one of Marvel’s top 3 books IMO) but  decent, disposable action of Venom looking cool and kicking ass. 

The Iron Man tie-in on the other hand. Yikes. Not only is it dumb, badly written and not interesting but it also goes the extra mile of not fitting in with the main WotR book. Good ol’ Dan Slott. Being garbage as always. Honestly, this issue not withstanding because he clearly doesn’t give that much of a fuck, but when the guy wants to he has good ideas for plot, a good awareness of continuity and clear reverence for the history of some of these characters. It’s just the writing part he is not very good at. Honestly I think he should be an editor instead, I think he would do well at that.

Anyway, Iron Man. Malekith goes to an old dragon in the land of the frost giants who claims to be one of Dormammu’s favourite apprentices and took one of Agamotto’s eyes and is promised that Tony Stark is the equivalent of a king, warrior and has lots of gold. So the dragon attacks Stark Unlimited and is fairly quickly shoo-d off by robots. Very uneventful, simple and yawn inducing and awful to read. I finally unsubscribed to Iron Man and Fantastic Four because I just can’t be doing with it any more. 

@Maf I wasn't talking about the event itself. An invasion of a couple Frost Giants and Fire Demons doesn't come across as a threat to the FF within that issue. Bear in mind, the FF have fought off EG. Mole Man's Kaiju-sized monsters, Annihilus & the Negative Zone hordes and Mad Celestials, the literal creators of the Marvel Universe. Slott did a poor job of portraying stakes in the tie-in. The villain of his first arc, the Greaver, came across as more of a threat. She was one of the Cosmic abstracts too, of course.