passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Comic Book Thread

hinn888

6 hours ago, Sambob said:

Got Marvel unlimited because I was fucking jonesing to read comics and hates pinching them off internet. Loving it so far been reading hours of comics, just finished secret wars 2015 yesterday and that was pretty decent. There is an estimated 25000 comics on it so should keep me going for a bit. 

Get Tom King/Gabriel Walta's Vision run read if you haven't..

If we’re making recommendations than a few comics I think worth reading are

Vision as mentioned above

Infinity event by Jonathan Hickman

Thor: The God Butcher & God Bomb by Jason Aaron

Spider-Man: Spider Island and Superior Spider-Man by Dan Slott

Hawkeye by Matt Fraction

Any run of Daredevil from either Ed Brubaker or Mark Waid

Thanos Wins by Donny Cates is really fun

That’s all the recent good Marvel books I can think off the top. I’m sure there are others but that’s all I got for the minute 

24 minutes ago, Sambob said:

@Jimbo Xiii No normal price because I couldnt find anything. Well technically i found a lot but they didnt work and i got bored of trying over and over.

Yeah same with me last time I subbed to it as well. Tempted to pick it up for a few months to work through some collections.

Remember when I said in the MCU that Valkyrie would be the new Thor? No? Well I did. Anyway, in the comics they have gone the other way with it and made Jane Foster (Who was Thor for a few years) the new Valkyrie 

D4cSBf9XkAAQitI?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I don’t know what this means for old Valkyrie. But I’m pretty sure no one gives a shit about her so whatever.

Oh, my god. So Wolverine has come back to life. Let’s talk about this.

So a few years ago Wolverine died because he lost he’s healing factor, word got out and all he’s enemies came for him, and then comic books happened and he died engulfed in adamantium like a statue

Fast forward a number of years and Wolverine was grave robbed and he’s corpse gone. This lead into Marvel putting out a few mini series called Hunt for Wolverine. A bunch of the X-Men girls went to Madripoor and fought an evil team of mutants, tried to stop a rocket ship, or did stop a rocket ship I forget. But it all ended up being for naught except they found a woman called Persephone who was like “lol, fuck off” 

There were other mini series as well. All of them not resulting in very much except Dakan died (Yay) and...actually that was it. Like all the books ended with something but basically none of it mattered. Congratulations, Marvel. You got me again.

But at the end of it they teased a new series called Return of Wolverine. Like nice, ok. Also Wolverine had been turning up randomly at the end of comics when they were building up to the Infinity Wars storyline last year. But whatever. Return of Wolverine is supposed to come first and it has all the answers as to why Wolverine is back and why he’s claws turn to red hot fire and why does he have an Infinity Stone and all this. 

But I just read it and that’s bullshit, too. Short version is Wolverine came back to life because Persephone’s power is she can reanimate corpses to a degree, but when she did it to Wolverine he’s healing factor kicked in and bought him fully back to life. And then nothing happens. It ends with Wolverine on a space base with Persephone who has a plan you don’t care about and then Wolverine destroys it from the inside and out and it falls to Earth and Wolverine survived re-retry because of he’s healing factor

DESPITE THE FACT THAT HE DIED IN THE FIRST PLACE BECAUSE HE LOST HE’S HEALING FACTOR. They never explain that, they never explain the burning claws, they never explain how he got broke out of he’s adamantium coffin, the art looks like this for 3 out of 5 issues 

RCO009.jpg

Like what the shit?

And then at the very end of the series they have a “Want to find out what happens next? Be sure to read Wolverine: Infinity Watch!”

*shakes head*

Do you know what? No. I just don’t care enough. 

Old school perhaps (Take note, Marvel Unlimited readers), but if you want to read a Wolverine that actually matters, before he became too overexposed:

631377.jpg

Marvel Comics Presents Weapon X #72 - #85: The definitive Wolverine origin story 

Wolverine by Larry Hama & Marc Silvestri - Also collected in TPB collections now. Hama created the character most are familiar with.

Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender & various - Probably the best non-mainline X-Men book ever written (Daken dies in this too @Maf)

Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon & John Cassaday - Although this is mostly a love letter to Cyclops, Wolverine is probably at his best here too.

Randomly I found vol 1 of Deadly Class in my graphic novel collection today. I didn’t even know I had it.

Anyway, the reason I found it was because I was catching up on Marvel’s Infinity Wars storyline (Which is actually quite good, although I’m not finished with it yet) but to get up to speed I had to back track a little bit and read some Doctor Strange which was decent, some of the IWS tie ins which vary but generally really fun, and the thing that lead me to the graphic novels 

ZtKlJbM74M6UzAwoHOXH900noaDZDpljRxoAmpZR

This was fucking awesome. I had read a bit of it before, but today I started it from the beginning and read right through from #1 to #12. This is just fun, satisfying, cosmic, comic book goodness. It was written really well, the first 6 issues drawn by Deodato were staggering to look at. Issues #7-#12 were not as well drawn but decent enough, and the writing really carries this story anyway. 

But it really finds a great balance of being big, explosive and trashy without ever feeling disposable. It’s a really engaging story of Thanos’ fall and ultimate return with him fighting the Phoenix Force and throwing the welder of it through planets and stuff. The sort of power that makes you wonder how the Avengers have ever beaten this guy ever. 

But it isn’t just over the top action. It is not a necessarily ‘deep’ comic but it just has that nice pace, keeps the pages turning, lots of shock lots of laughs, does fun stuff with the supporting characters while adding extra, meaningful parts to the Marvel cosmology. 

The only negatives I would really say as it doesn’t explain why Mistress Death is now full on evil, when before she felt really impartial and above good and bad and whatnot. And also the welder of the Phoenix manages to stay in control instead of being consumed by it and losing he’s personality like most other people do. 

But overall, I really enjoyed these comics and if you want a good, modern Thanos story this is definitely one of them. Now on to #13-#18, these ones written by Donny Cates who is awesome and if I’m right this is going to be the first introduction of Cosmic Ghost Rider

12 minutes ago, Maf said:

And also the welder of the Phoenix manages to stay in control instead of being consumed by it and losing he’s personality like most other people do. 

That's actually good writing. The Phoenix Force wasn't created as a power-up, with multiple forms. The "Dark" Phoenix came into being because the Phoenix Force had never had a host before, nor experienced emotion and became corrupted by the experience. All the Green - Red - White nonsense of later years is retcon, that pisses on the original concept. The Force gets corrupted by the host, not the other way around.

The sort of power that makes you wonder how the Avengers have ever beaten this guy ever. 

They don't. Typically, Thanos defeats himself. The Avengers only usually get credit for a win because they were in the same room as it happens. Or in recent years, a ridiculous level of plot armour.

Well I don’t know about all of that. But every time I can recall seeing the Phoenix it has been a corrupting influence. The first time it took over Jean and destroyed that solar system they say something that was the first time the Phoenix had ever experienced love, joy, excitement and general emotion before using Jean as a host to do bad shit. But even in more recent years it corrupted the X-Men in A vs X, in the recent Jean Grey resurrection storyline it was trying to tempt Jean into being how they were in the Dark Phoenix saga. So it was odd to see it here without a voice at all when I’m used to seeing it really fucking up whoever has it

they say something that was the first time the Phoenix had ever experienced love, joy, excitement and general emotion 

Exactly. That's why it did bad shit, Jean's human influence on an abstract entity. Literally every Phoenix story written from about the 90's onwards, retcons the Phoenix into a DBZ upgrade type thing. A "pure" host means you actually see the Phoenix Force itself with a physical form, uncorrupted.

Well this is what I’m saying, then this is the most unpure host and a total DBZ like upgrade because the Phoenix holds no influence at all. Which was weird. 

But also whatever, it was still a good story and crazy to see Thanos, at full power but no enchantments, go toe to toe with the Phoenix Force

Although zi will say there is a line where Thanos says “You don’t know the power you have” as Thanos beats his face in so that might be the one asterisk 

Well Thanos has gone toe to toe with Galactus, as has the Phoenix (via Rachel Summers, not Jean). So in terms of power levels, with an inexperienced host, that is about right.

There are two things we must discuss

Firstly, this is brillaint 

RCO004.jpg

RCO005.jpg

And secondly, I realise Funko Pops are bullshit and what not but this is more or less exactly how I picture Batman in my head 

11351420-8084428350545803.jpg

So I finally finished up Infinity Wars. Boo what a load of bullshit. 

I really quite enjoyed the prelude books. They’re not the best comics ever, and they’re filled with red herrings that don’t pan out or really contribute much to the overall main series. But like there’s an issue with Adam Warlock and Kang hanging out and it’s kind of fun. There’s actually a pretty decent issue with Captain Marvel where she has the reality gem and can use it to see in to other realities and she starts drowning in choice before refinding her own self confidence. It is throw away. But I liked it. 

The writer even goes out of he’s way to redefine how the Infinity Gems work and combine with each other which I don’t ever remember seeing it laid out as plainly as this 

RCO008.jpg

It’s retconning it a bit, but then the original Infinity Stones blew up in New Avengers and now they have been reborn I will forgive them for changing what some of them do a little bit. 

But once you get to the main plot it’s just such a fucking mess. This is all spoilers but Gamora just goes off the deep end immediately, kills Thanos, takes the gems away from the people holding them, without hesitation mashes the universe in half and puts all of it in the Soul gem to be eaten by something called Devondra and then Gamora keeps saying “I will then remake a new reality once the old one is eaten”. 

It’s just so ridiculous. Gamora’s extreme, blind siding reactions and decisions. How grave all the situations are but how quickly and easily they’re solved is very unsatisfying. How the rules constantly change to progress a story that doesn’t really feel like it has much to say.

The only slightly interesting thing is that Loki is kind of on he’s own mission to find out why he loses all the time. What set him upon this path I don’t know, maybe it’s in another comic or something but here it just starts with Loki wondering why he never succeeds and almost instantly coming to the conclusion that someone is messing with him.

Which would be really funny if the trickster god thought he was getting punked and in desperation was tricking himself, but actually he turns out to be correct because he discovered something called the Prime Universe which is inhabited by Celstial looking space gods who seem to be creating the Infinity Stones and putting them in different universes. Explaining how the gems got reborn but massively retconning the origin of them in the process. Anyway, this all falls apart too in a  case of real lazy writing where Loki basically looks in a magic mirror, we don’t get to see what he sees, and he laughs and says “Oh, that’s how it ends for me. Guess I know when I’m beaten” and then gives up and exits the story.

Eye roll. Like, in that case Loki should never do a bad thing again because he’s already seen how it ends for him and has resigned himself to defeat. Yet in the middle of this event Marvel kicked off the Avengers comic again and guess who the bad guy was? 

I don’t really have much more to say about it, I guess. Just a complete wet fart of a comic book event and I can already feel myself forgetting even though I’ve literally just finished reading it. 

Also, the Eisner award nominees are out. Here are some I have opinions on

Best Continuing Series
  • Batman, by Tom King et al. (DC)
  • Black Hammer: Age of Doom, by Jeff Lemire, Dean Ormston, and Rich Tommaso (Dark Horse)
  • Gasolina, by Sean Mackiewicz and Niko Walter (Skybound/Image)
  • Giant Days, by John Allison, Max Sarin, and Julaa Madrigal (BOOM! Box)
  • The Immortal Hulk, by Al Ewing, Joe Bennett, and Ruy José (Marvel)
  • Runaways, by Rainbow Rowell and Kris Anka (Marvel

Even though I think Hulk has been more consistent, some issues by Tom King doing Batman have been amazing. Is that a reason to pick that over hulk in a category of ongoing series? I don’t know. But the highs have been higher, IMO.

Best Limited Series
  • Batman: White Knight, by Sean Murphy (DC)
  • Eternity Girl, by Magdalene Visaggio and Sonny Liew (Vertigo/DC)
  • Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles, by Mark Russell, Mike Feehan, and Mark Morales (DC)
  • Mister Miracle, by Tom King and Mitch Gerads (DC)
  • X-Men: Grand Design: Second Genesis, by Ed Piskor (Marvel)

lol

Best Writer
  • Alex de Campi, Bad Girls (Gallery 13); Twisted Romance (Image)
  • Tom King, Batman, Mister Miracle, Heroes in Crisis, Swamp Thing Winter Special (DC)
  • Jeff Lemire, Black Hammer: Age of Doom, Doctor Star & the Kingdom of Lost Tomorrows, Quantum Age (Dark Horse); Descender, Gideon Falls, Royal City (Image)
  • Mark Russell, Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles, Green Lantern/Huckleberry Hound, Lex Luthor/Porky Pig (DC); Lone Ranger (Dynamite)
  • Kelly Thompson, Nancy Drew (Dynamite); Hawkeye, Jessica Jones, Mr. & Mrs. X, Rogue & Gambit, Uncanny X-Men, West Coast Avengers (Marvel)
  • Chip Zdarsky, Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man, Marvel Two-in-One (Marvel

Tom King again for me, but why did they not mention The Terrifics for Jeff Lemire? 

Best Penciller/Inker or Penciller/Inker Team
  • Matías BergaraCoda (BOOM!)
  • Mitch Gerads, Mister Miracle (DC)
  • Karl Kerschl, Isola (Image)
  • Sonny Liew, Eternity Girl (Vertigo/DC)
  • Sean Phillips, Kill or Be Killed, My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies (Image)
  • Yanick Paquette, Wonder Woman Earth One, vol. 2 (D

Mitch Gerard’s out of those picks, but where is Jorge Jiminez for Justice League like, really? 

The whole list is here

https://www.comicsbeat.com/2019-will-eisner-comic-industry-award-nominees-announced-image-and-dc-lead/

She’s Hope Summers. She was the first mutant born after House of M event (Scarlet Witch wiped out the powers of most mutants leaving only 198 left in the world, and no more were being born either)

However Hope was the first to be born after that and ends up going time travelling with Cable and comes back to the present when she’s like 16. I think she’s about 16? 

These pages are actually from Avengers vs X-Men. The Phoenix Force is coming back to Earth and the X-Men think it wants to merge with Hope and will bring the mutants back, Avengers think Hope is the only thing that can stop it. Or something to that effect. 

Shenanigans happen, the X-Men turn evil and take over the Earth, Avengers run off with Hope and try to work out how or what she can do to stop the Phoenix, and they left it to Spider-Man to try train her. Which he doesn’t really end up doing but he does end up inspiring her that pays off later. 

After that she kind of just fades into obscurity as far as I remember? 

I saw those pages on Twitter earlier and I forgot about them but made me laugh so I posted them here