passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Comic Book Thread

hinn888

So today I’ve been catching up on Justice League issues 13 through 19 + the annual. This is post The Witching Hour event, which I really liked, and Drowned Earth, which I really didn’t. Even though they both kind of fit in too the events of the on going story about the Totality, it’s good to be back on track. 

It’s taken me like, nearly 3 hours to read 8 comics because they are just so dense. Character’s say things and I have to stop and go “Wha”. And read it again to try get what they’re on about. 

Justice-League-16-spoilers-2.jpg

But it also just pouring over the artwork. Mostly handelled by Jim Cheung and Jorge Jimenez, it is the best looking comic out right now. 

45s9hbrzxp321.jpg

07.jpg

19.jpg

This is a comic I really enjoy most of the time, but just find it’s reveals and bullet points just don’t really hit home. I love the characters (Especially liking Hawkgirl and surprisingly Martian Manhunter), I love the scope and the interweaving of the story, the really creative ideas, and generally the writing is really good and interesting. But at the same time I kind of feel like it still hasn’t got going, 19 issues in. 

I don’t know. It’s definitely not a slow burn, things kick off pretty much immediately. But because the writing and ideas are so dense, something will happen like the bad guys get more of the “Forces” they need to awaken basically the god of all gods, but it’s hard to feel the weight of most of the things that happen because the ideas are so dense and, ironically for a comic, not represented visually. Gorilla Grodd gets the Still force. Okay, well, what is that, what does it do exactly, and why has he not done anything with it so far?

That happened like, around 10 issues ago and I still couldn’t”t tell you. But then it is supposed to be this long, winding thing. 

I am enjoying it, but more for the characters and artwork than I am the larger story. Which I think is interesting, but rarely exciting.

Yay! There’s finally, after years, another good Spider-Man comic. Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man written by Tom Taylor and drawn by Juann Cabal. Cool new characters, fun writing, dynamic, clean art and doesn’t feel like it’s lumbered with and trying to justify Dan Slott’s continuity. 

51941f6c928577244fea33413ba89f5a._SX1280

(That bottom left panel. How beautiful) 

6a1baffecb5ee7558552dd141a56c397._SX1280

10.jpg

16.jpg

3 hours ago, OCH said:

To be fair, in Marvel Universe consensus, the Fantastic Four are legendary.

Have you seen the Immortal Hulk? I think you should read that book if not, I think it would be up your alley. 

22 minutes ago, Maf said:

Have you seen the Immortal Hulk? I think you should read that book if not, I think it would be up your alley. 

I have indeed. Returning the Hulk series to it's body horror roots and not the naff Avengers-Friendly Hulk of the last few years.

I really like most of the issues but I’m confused about what they are saying about Banner’s dad and whatever that big gamma cloud thing was. And that the Hulk is now the One Below All? Like the true devil? Or was that what he”s dad was infected with? I didn’t really get it

Also when that guy shot Betty lol! I wish Samson wasn’t there to deal with it. Woe betide the poor soul who would shoot Devil Hulk’s girlfriend in the head 

The One Below All is in the guise of Banner's Dad. As it messes with Hulk on multiple levels whenever someone does that. The Marvel Universe also has multiple "devils". Devil Hulk was merely one of Banner's strongest (and super evil) personalities.

I felt like the implication was every gamma irradiated person has a ‘green door’ inside of them that can let the devil in, and that’s what happened to Hulk. And the more gamma irradiated people he came into contact with and absorbed made it easier for this One Below to All to get in and overtake. But when Absorbing man took all of it from Hulk and then went to the original gamma bombsite that place + power combined is what set it free. And then he’s dad turned up and there was a big cloud thing and I was distracted because it seemed like a big reference to that first movie. 

But they do a retcon where he’s dad witnessed the green door when Bruce was still a baby so...I don’t know if that was he’s actual dad or not. 

I really liked the comic, though. I forget what issue it is but the one where he gets cut into pieces and put in to jars was crazy. And when Crusher gets split in two and it’s just he’s skull on he’s spine dancing around. For a Marvel comic it’s really visually dark sometimes. Which is fun. 

Hulk used to be about Radiation mutated freaks, Hulk and Doc Samson being the only ones even remotely "normal" looking. It is good they have returned to that.

Unknown to the Justice League Superman has been trapped in an empty, void pocket dimension and in he’s place...a future Superman? 

Justice-League-Sixth-Dimension-Banner-e1

Does the Sixth Dimension really exist or is it a lie? 

Cover for The Batman Who Laughs #6

D2GVFqOX0AALlOu?format=jpg&name=large

This series is only at #3 so far and has had been another great Snyder ‘Let’s best the living shit out of Batman’ run, probably darker and worse than he’s done before. Just hope Batman doesn’t win the day by hoping a lot like he seems to in a lot of Snyder stories 

2 hours ago, Maf said:

Jarro is the best new comic book character in at least a decade

D2JVqZWWkAAF-8Z?format=jpg&name=large

giphy.gif

Poor Starro. From the very first serious foe of the Justice League to.. Whatever the hell that thing is supposed to be? Talk about 'How to crush the legacy of a Supervillain'?

8 minutes ago, Maf said:

Starro was always stupid. 

329b8f57aaa33ef7a4be88e27f851b92.jpg

Of course it was. Starro was made in the 60's...

latest?cb=20161109190800

But the concept behind it, was fascinating Cthulhu-level stuff.