passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Comic Book Thread

hinn888

6 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

I don't know, I'm just saying if he's going to wear a suit that tight he might want to start putting socks down there for the sake of his reputation

Unless, being in a Lycra jumpsuit, It's his ass that is the money maker and not his Spider-Dong.

A few years ago they did a thing called Before Watchmen. But I wasn’t really reading comics at that point so missed it. People disn’t seem to like it very much by what I gather.

Doomsday Clock is a really slow burn so far. Made even slower that the book gets delayed all the time. Some of the issues are great, though. I think this will be a thing that reads better once it is collected in a trade or something.

Doomsday Clock is such a slow burn many readers online were jokingly unsure if it was still going. Delays that kill the momentum of any given book, especially an event book, are not a great way for a book to gain notoriety. Or lasting impact. 

Uh, both Watchmen and the Dark Knight Returns were heavily delayed books, and ended up being the most celebrated comics of all time. I really think it depends on the event. I mean Secret Wars ended after the comics that came after it had already started, and people still love that.

Doomsday Clock also has the added benefit that it’s supposed to be a year in the future of current DC comics. Although going to bi-monthly is the joke. It will have taken current DC comics nearly 2 years to catch up to a year in the future. That is why there has been a lot of, pretty decent, but filler events in the mean time such as The Button and No Justice.

I’m not trying to be a Doomsday Clock defender. I’ve read all 8 issues and can remember about 3 of them. It is never going to live up to the Watchmen name or rep, that’s pretty clear. But I do think it’s quite good. It’s just a bit slow and made to feel even slower by the delays. 

If it ends with with a bang I will by the hardcover version when it comes out. I think there’s really cool stuff in it. I just think it will be served better as an actual graphic novel and not a bi-monthly comic

I’ve talked about this channel before on the old forum but wanted give it a quick plug here. It’s called Comic Pop and they do my favourite comic book YouTube show called Back Issues. Here’s a really cool one about DC Rebirth

The break down of the show if the fat one Sal, is a comic book savant and the other 2 don’t really know anything at all about comics. Most of the time they just go through stories and take the piss and have fun but this usually comes in the form of intelligent conversations and approaching comic book stupidity with real world logic. And every now and then they talk about a book they like. 

And here’s a playlist of all the episodes if you are so inclined. They talk about everything from Batman to X-Men to Marvel and DC crossovers and very, very occasionally indie books, too

(For some reason it just comes up as the latest episode but the button in the top right will show you all available episodes)

If you have passing interest in comics but can’t be assed to read them yourself or wouldn’t know where to start if you wanted to read one, here is a great way to do it

Yuck. So, as per Marvel has been over doing the X-Men. In the last 2 years, off the top, these are the series they’ve had

Astonishing X-Men

X-Men Blue

X-Men Gold

X-Men Red

Wolverine

Old Man Logan

New Mutants

eXiles

Rogue & Gambit (2 mini series)

X-Men Black 

Xtermination

Return of Wolverine

Hunt for Wolverine

Domino

X-Men Genesis (2 limited series)

And god knows what else if you include Deadpool. Deadpool alone has like a zillion books.

But lately a lot of this stuff has come to an end and they have condensed, not all but a good number of these books into the very new (use the term new loosely) series Uncanny X-Men. They have got 4 issues in — 4 — where the new storyline is called X-Men Disassembled and they are spinning it back out into 5 new series which are called Age of X-Man: Something or Over. I don’t know if these are one-shots or actual series but.

I don’t know. It is my fault. I shouldn’t care. They have been doing this literally ever since I started reading comics. X-Men above all else has always been it’s own particular brand of nightmare because there’s just so fucking many characters and stuff. But just like. Have some self control. 

I already have rules rules where I don’t buy Annuals and I don’t buy tie-ins unless I really enjoy the event then I might give tie-ins a go. But I’m adding “Not buying any more X books outside the core series” to my list of don’ts. I will buy Uncanny X-Men. I will but the main part of any X-Men events. If they start a series about something that interests me. Maybe I will buy that. But all of this surplus X-Men shit can stay on the shelf. The X-Men have been so flimsy for so long anyway they just don’t justify this amount of books. 

X-Man...

Nate_Grey_(X-Man).png

This guy. Has gone all Mutant Jesus (again) and the Age of X-Man is likely to be his own nice little mini series nod to his origins from the Age of Apocalypse. So you are probably better off starting there, or after it finishes. 

Basically Maf, when it comes to Marvel Comics, you know the score. Unless it's Spider-Man or The X-Men, it really doesn't matter. They have both been the backbone of the Comics since Spidey's inception in the 60's and the X-Men revival of the 70's. Now that the comics are distancing themselves creatively from the control of the MCU, that ethos is presenting itself again.

mutants.jpg?w=612

Unless you are these guys or the Webhead below, nobody really cares

1bbc564439426a221d89752920cadd13--the-am

As Marvel have discovered in recent years, whenever they try to push someone else to the top. The fans push back at the Pretenders to the Throne.

Inspired by the Super Sons series and wanting to ramp up to Final Crisis I bought this

DIG015799_2._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

I love Grant Morrison’s interpretation of Batman and the little character details he folds in so easily between their already established traits. 

GROWL.jpg?resize=582,338

Andy Kubert’s art is so good as well. That last panel is the only drop of sadness in the whole scene but it still hits because of the eyes. 

I already have some some of these issues from later in Morrison’s run but they were also the first Batman comics I read since I was a kid. Now after all this time coming full circle I get this stuff a lot more and it’s more potent now I have my own history with the character instead of jumping straight in. 

• 3 weeks later...

So as Maf is.. elsewhere (odds on Sex Trafficking) I'll give a shout to my newest acquisition 

NOV180816.jpg

So #1 to #4 gave us the Return of the FF and #5 was all about the wedding of Ben Grimm and Alicia Masters. So next on the checklist is none other than Dr. Doom AND Galactus! 

The pacing of this issue, mostly a protracted fight between Doom and the World Devourer, is a notable increase on the previous five issues and while touching on classic tidbits of continuity between the two, something new and interesting is definitely going on (note the title of the storyline). Another solid, albeit brief in feel, issue 7.5/10.

Soo... Issue #3 AKA THE GAME CHANGER ISSUE

Gobots03_cvrA-copy.jpg

Whoa! if you thought you had an idea of where this story was going from the first two issues, this issue is the...

..Moment. Other than the cover, to post images or discuss story beats in detail would be a massive spoiler. Which I am not in the habit of doing, as I think it pretty dickish to do so and ruin other people's surprise. Suffice to say, Leader-1 ain't no Optimus Prime! I was invested before, but now I really can't wait to see where Scioli goes with this next! 9.5/10

• 3 weeks later...

I just read Bloodborne: The Death of sleep from Titan Comics.

Written by Ales Kot with Art by Piotr Kowalski and colour by Brad Simpson

It was pretty good, especially for a video game adaptation. Some of the elements from the game, like the You Died screen, felt kinda forced and cheapened it a bit, but on the flip side to that it has some real nice lore expansion - such as why Iosefka won't open her clinic doors to hunters anymore. 

First issue was a bit slow, but it falls into a nice pace from 2 - 4 (it's only 4 issues). The art had some really nice, Mignola-esque panels in there, but as a whole it didn't do a lot for me. Not that it's bad, it just didn't excite me as much as it could have. It's a weird one because taking everything great about it into account it really could have been special, but looking everything that's just ok you see it could have been a lot worse. 

I enjoyed the story in the end though, and I'll be picking up and reading the next Bloodborne story these guys have done in a couple days.

DzSdVIMXcAEjSPS.png:large

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A little late, but...

DEC180767.jpg

The penultimate issue is here! One of the aspects of Modern Transformers I find most frustrating is the veritable Toybox filled with hundreds of characters that could be used, is often ignored in favour of the minimal effort involved crafting tales/media/figures based around a handful of favourites.

In four issues of this mini series, Tom Scioli has mined just about every facet of Go-Bots. Utilising every sub-group and character you can think of. With the majority, more or less, being given their own moment to shine. Alongside some more thought-provoking imagery (I point to the Cy-Kill 'face' scene) that brings the ambiguous nature of the Go-Bots back into focus. 
This is definitely another really solid issue. 
Tying up some lingering threads from issue #1 I personally didn't think would be brought up again. Turbo taking centre stage for the most part, in this issue, hence the cover. I can't wait to see where this ends up. 9/10