passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Comic Book Thread

hinn888

I read the initial run, first five. I really like it, I think it's a great idea have a Muslim teenage girl as a superhero who is so well portrayed. Me and my wife are thinking of getting the comics for our nieces for Eid this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Stuff I've been into this week..

post-1727-0-22967400-1435868491_thumb.jp

Another (new) Brian K Vaughan book. A hundred years in the future and the U.S. has invade Canada armed wth giant mechs and robots. So a small band of Canadians try to repel the invasion.

I like this, given the current climate regarding 'terrorists' that permiss is super interesting to me.. its funny in parts too. Looking forward to next issue.

And because Arkham Knight just came out.

There's a Eisner Winner sale at Comixology at the moment. If you have a load of spare cash you should buy almost all that if you haven't read it. https://www.comixology.co.uk/DC-Eisner-Winners-Sale/page/7227?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvc21hbGxDYXJvdXNlbA

But if you only have £2.76 you should buy the 4 part Batman 100 by Paul Pope.

post-1727-0-21985000-1435870096_thumb.jp

Set in the near future and Gotham is now a strict police state. Possibly the prettiest/weirdest looking Batman book there's been.

post-1727-0-22175300-1435870323_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Hadn't had much time to do anything this week but I did read this..

post-1727-0-41585900-1437080765_thumb.jp

What if you rewrote The Divine Comedy, but instead of it being Dante's journey through Hell..it was Godzilla's.

post-1727-0-34175800-1437080924_thumb.jp

The first issue focused on lust. I couldn't figure out what Godzilla's lust was going to be. I was expecting to see a Godzilla with a bow on it's head. :lol: but when I seen what it was, I like 'of coooooourse it is' and facepalmed.

I was into it. Some the art is really creepy. Looking forward to the next issue.

https://www.comixology.co.uk/Godzilla-In-Hell-1-of-5/digital-comic/254435?ref=c2l0ZS9saXN0L3RhYmxldC9ncmlkTGlzdC9saXN0NzQ5Mw

• 3 weeks later...

So it finally happened..

post-1727-0-59436500-1438805558_thumb.jp

Kamela Khan the new Ms Marvel crossed paths with Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel, the previous Ms Marvel.

Oh man! didn't disappoint. Probably my favourite issue of anything involving Kamela Khan I've read. Every page was sooo good. It handles her character/believes in a possible world ending event in cool and even sweet ways. Amazing.

I can't wait for for the Danvers Captain Marvel movie. I don't think a lot of people know that a female character like hers exists. If it's done like the books I'm excited for folk to see it.

I've recently subscribed to Marvel Unlimited again, for about £6 a month it's a bit of a no trainer for catching up on older Marvel stuff. I've just been reading all of the Hulk stuff from about 2000 onwards and am getting stuck back into the major crossovers, Civil War, Planet Hulk and Dark Reign done so far, just cracking on with Siege.

I'm pretty much up to date with the X-men, not sure how I feel about the original X-men being brought forward in timeand given their own series though..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Haven't posted in here in a while...

Comixology are doing a BOGOF on all Marvel books including the new books that were released this week.. Ms Marvel, The All New - All Different stuff etc.. ending tomorrow.

https://www.comixology.co.uk/Marvel-BOGO/page/8510?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvbGFyZ2VDYXJvdXNlbA

One of the books in that sale you should defo pick up is the new Chewbacca series that just started.

Started reading the new Star Wars books on Unlimited and I've been really impressed but the Chewbacca one has been my favourite so far..

post-1727-0-51422300-1445183673_thumb.jp

post-1727-0-81633300-1445183690_thumb.jp

post-1727-0-12746300-1445183711_thumb.pn

I love comics when the artist and writer have story elements or characters that can't use speech bubbles in the normal ways and have to be clever in they're story telling. Only really comics can do that.

I've always remember one issue of Grant Morrison's New Xmen where some of the Xmen go in a machine so (If I remember right) they can get into Xavier's mind to try and fix it. But they can't speak while they're in there, so the whole issue is just them trying to figure ways out to communicate to each other.

And there was a recent Rocket Raccoon issue where Groot tells a story around a camp fire and all the signs, all the characters, any word on the pages said "I am Groot" because it was Groot telling the story. :lol:

Soooo.. this Chewbacca book is like that. You don't understand what he's saying but the panels tell you everything. I liked it a lot. Excited to read more. It's set just after New Hope i think too.

Godzilla in Hell sounds pretty awesome, might have to pick it up.

I'm about to start reading Assassination Classroom, i don't know much about it, other than this classroom's objective in school is this kill this alien which looks like an octopus but is insanely strong and move at Mach speed 20.

assassination_classroom_new.jpg

Galactic basic includes whatever Wookies speak, does it not?

I'm not sure.

In the book the other main character Zarro a little girl doesn't understand what he's saying and a merchant tells him to roar some place else. You could be right tho. Maybe some else here knows more than me.

I really want to watch the films again. Maybe we should organise a Netflix thread type thing where we watch one a week till the new one is out?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I remember when that Dying Wish arc came out. I thought it was cool. But Slott got a lot of death threats...

I like the status of the current Amazing Spiderman but I'm getting bored. Need a 'Dying Wish' kinda moment.

I went out and bought actual ink and paper books again yesterday..

post-1727-0-17217100-1458513948_thumb.jp

Killing and Dying - I have no idea what's it's about but I saw a review of it recently where they were gushing about the cover. (It is beautiful) I think it's 6 short stories all in different art styles.

Spider-man - Miles Morales is now living in 616. Only 2 issues in but it seems cool so far. It's no Spiderwoman though, which has been the shit.

Huck - Another soon to be a movie Mark Millar book. I think this series has been Millar's response to people saying his writing goes out the way to crass and exploitive all the time. It's about a guy with powers who's not quite all there that's been raised to do one good deed a day but people try to abuse it. It's cool.

Kennel Block Blues - I'm not too sure what this is about. I think it's about old cartoon characters who done crimes and needed to be locked up. What I've seen of the art is awesome. It seems to switch been kinda realist human'y animals to old 1950's kinda cartoons. It's a 4 part mini series.

Descender - Jeff Lemire is probably my favourite writer about at the moment. I don't really want to spoil much of this but it's a Sci fi book about a world where robots have been outlawed after a huge holocaust. I wish I had bought this in paper form all along as thewatercolour art style looks a lot better actual paper. It's really good.

I noticed Waterstones Comic section is 10x bigger and better these days. I would of never got a book like Killing and Dying there 2/3 years ago. I like it.

• 1 month later...

Been slightly obsessed with American 'cartoonist' Chris Ware's stuff at the moment..

image.jpeg

He only has a hand full of books out but he does a lot work for the New Yorker and the Guardian. 

The way his Building Stories book is packaged is genius I think. (Not my picture)

image.jpeg

It's 14 different stories told through books, newspapers, flip books etc focusing around a woman who lives in an apartment building in Chicago. Can be read in any order. It apparently took him 10 years to make. It's really good. 

He released a short story 'The Last Saturday' on the guardian website. Putting up a new page up every week.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/ng-interactive/2014/sep/13/-sp-chris-ware-the-last-saturday-graphic-novel

I think he does mainly covers for the New Yorker but he's animated a bunch of This American Life stories for them too. 

• 2 weeks later...