passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Tales of Xillia

Bob

Is this how we do it? New thread for impressions or move the one from news? I shall proceed anyway.

I missed the chance to pre-order this when it was at the reasonable price of £33 on Amazon and then immediately it shot up to £50 as everyone tried to sell their spare copies. Dicks. Then I saw it for £29 and POW! Snapped it right up. Amazon sent me the day one edition as well with the little art book and soundtrack. On to the game itself.

I have played it for a bit over 2 hours across three play sessions. So it isn't exactly grabbing me. Although the first one was about ten minutes at 2am so that hardly counts. It has all the stuff Tales games have. Cheesy but charming voice acting, girly character design and really pretty graphics. So far the story hasn't all been about how friendship is the only thing that can save the future, but I'm sure it just needs a bit of time.

There is a choice of two characters, one of which has annoying hair, so I chose the one without annoying hair. He is a medical student who gets caught up in some shady government plot, then he gets blamed and has to go on the run with the chick with the silly hair. Then they meet a dapper motherfucker who sounds like his voice direction for the game consisted of, "do a voice like that sounds like those popular guys, Nolan North and Troy Baker." Which is no bad thing by any means. No sign of Laura Bailey yet though which is always distressing.

So there is the plot, after a couple of hours I am still on the run, probably trying to save the world or clear my name. It isn't exactly the most challenging story in the world. Combat is the same old stuff. You have A artes and B artes, or if you prefer, regular and special attacks. There is a bar that builds up so that after a while you can go fucking mental on someone's face. The new thing is that you can now link characters. Link with the character (by pushing towards their picture with the D-Pad) and they will flank the enemy, gaining a bonus to action points. Each character also has a special skill, slowing the enemy down or breaking their guard for example.

There is a new system with shops which works well in terms of gameplay but the actual story behind it is a big fuck you. To get access to better gear you have to expand the shop using (bet you can't guess) expansion points. Each item you win from enemies has a certain amount of expansion points and shops will ask for items from specific categories each time you visit them, giving you double the expansion points for any items within that category. Which all works great. You get new items and discounts frequently. However the shop owners never pretend that they need these items to get better stock, you are openly told that they have these items already. They just won't sell them to you until you bribe them by giving them a shit load of materials. Then of course you have to pay for the weapons on top of that. So you are basically paying for everything twice. Fuck you player. Right in the butt.

I think that is about it. I suppose it has thrown a lot at me in those two and a bit hours. Although having played most of the games in the series before, it has been very tutorial heavy. If you liked the others, you will probably like this. It looks nice, although I remember Vesperia looking much nicer. Probably rose tinted glasses.

• 5 months later...

I played this again tonight for the first time since I posted this. Had a vague memory of what had happened so thought I would start again as the other character for a refresher, then jump over to my previous save. People playing as the woman really get fucked over. It picks up about 20 minutes into the guys section with no explanation as to how she got there, then you play the same section he did. I didn't expect much but I imagine people starting the game would be very confused if they chose her first.

Then I switched over and carried on. One of the main characters, Alvin. The guy who sounds like Nolan North and Troy Baker did a sex together is hilarious. He is basically a polite Internet troll who keeps on trying to get a rise out of the other characters. Which at one point resulted in a conversation about bondage. Which was odd. The game in general is full of bits of Japanese weirdness including an aesthetic add on that is just a huge glob of snot hanging out of their nose. Which you can make float above their head if you like. And big bushy eyebrows as well.

Overall it is all very silly and a lot of fun. Hopefully I will actually continue to play it this time.

• 2 weeks later...

Coming to the end of this now. Have the option to go kill the last boss and the game has dumped a load of side quests on me. I don't have many complaints but that would be one of them. There is certainly no shortage of side quests in the game and they are pretty fun and rewarding but the game just sort of dumps them on you all at once a few times throughout the game. Then it is pretty dry and linear in between. Also there is a quest for everyone's ultimate weapon that you can only finish AFTER you complete the main game. What is the point Tales? What is the fucking point? You fuck!

Overall it has been a great game. Nice change of pace near the end when things were starting to get a bit dull and there are actually some modern game design elements in there. Like quick travel and being able to turn the camera. The game also has much larger areas to explore that are full of loot and hidden areas. And most side quests aren't obtuse nonsense that involve you going into a certain room carrying a certain amount of items wearing a moustache and ladies underwear.

So yeah, would recommend.

• 2 months later...

Tales of Xillia 2 will launch for PlayStation 3 on August 19 in North America and August 22 in Europe, Bandai Namco announced.

A Collector’s Edition will be available in North America ($129) and Europe (price not announced) featuring the following bonuses:

• Tales of Xillia 2 software
  • Ludger Kresnik figure
  • Elle’s Pocket Watch replica compact
  • Tales of Xillia 2 music selection CD
  • Tales of Xillia 2 art book
  • Classic Tales of costume DLC (Yuri Lowell, Emil Castagnier, and Asbel Lhant)
  • (North America) Rollo plush charm
  • (Europe)Ludger’s emblematic cat, Rollo, gets his fair share of awesomeness with a Metalcase picturing him

A “Day 1 Edition” featuring the music CD and Metalcase will also be available in Europe.

Find a fact sheet for the game below. And beneath that, a new set of gameplay videos. View a new set of English screenshots at the gallery.

http://gematsu.com/2014/04/tales-xillia-2-release-date-collectors-edition-announced

Details and videos in link.