passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dyad

HandsomeDead

Another indie game that is a bit old now, if nearly a year is a bit old.

I don't know what to think of this game, really. Those clever kids in cool jeans seem to like it so of course I felt I had to buy it (after I saw it on sale for just over £3). I think I was initially put off by it because looking at it shows it to be ones of those psychedelic tube games like Tempest and Space Giraffe or whatever else Jeff Minter makes, and I don't really like those games, especially Space Giraffe. I tried and tried with that game and it just remained a foreign entity the entire time. It's a game that made me feel dumb and was a complete jerk about it, too.

But thankfully, Dyad isn't like that. It does teach... in a way. No, it does, but don't be surprised to still be staring blankly at the screen after you've been taught.

So, you're an abstract thing like in Rez and you fly down a Minter Tube. You have to 'hook' onto 'glowy things' that makes you 'boost' when you hook a pair and you have to dodge stuff or 'lance' them after building up power from 'grazing' the 'glowy things'.

I think that's the game, basically. But it's a lot harder than that paragraph makes it sound. The kind of dexterity it requires from you is beyond what a lot of people will be willing to offer (mainly me), and since the game is so abstract it's not always easy to see how you're meant to improve. You think it's going well then colour swirl, bbbvvvff vvffbbb, you lose.

But it is an interesting game if you want to remember what it's like when you first played video games again it's good for that. If you really want to go through that confusion again before you knew how to play all the video games then buy it. Go on.

Yeah I played this a while back, didn't really get into it either, this is from the random download games thread:

You spin round inside some trippy visuals like space jeraffe, you select pairs of the same colour balls to speed up, once selected you can go close past them to charge a lance, once charged you can lance into rows of the balls, lancing is fast. If you touch a ball when not lancing you go back and it loses you 3 seconds iirc, I didnt really get into it tbh, played a decent number of levels but had no desire to go back to it after that. Levels are pretty varied despite being the same - like collect so many pairs, lance so many balls, or just a time limit - stuff like that. It's alright. Anyone else tried it?