passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Killer is Dead

illdog

Its a hack and slash game by SUDA51. Its arty and abstract, its creepy and weird but I'm not enjoying it as much as I wanted to enjoy it.

What annoys me the most are the cut scenes. Its not that the story isn't interesting, its just that the cut scenes that portray it are unnecessarily drawn out. Lots of lingering camera shots and silence which I'm sure is all arty and different but... here is a game full of potential arcade action that I'm itching to play and im getting a close up of someones face and get to watch them really slowly turn their head. SKIP.

The game play is decent enough I guess but its nothing new. And its doesn't feel extra polished either. Mondo controls well, pretty responsive in both movement and action but the scenery can feel a little clunky. A lock on would have been nice but the combat works pretty well without it. I dunno, its just another hack and slash game wrapped in a really fucking weird package. It has a really odd colour pallet sometimes, at certain time it does just make it look like the contrast is up far too high.

The Gigolo mini games are pretty funny, trying to catch a glimpse of your dates tits and nether regions whist she's looking away made me laugh. You have to put on some glasses so you can see through their clothes to their underwear. That alone would have been a good game.

I played through on easy because I'm rubbish at this genre, although I did find the first boss (on chapter 3) ridiculously hard, i died three times. Once the level had finish I found that I had upped the difficulty to hard, so I didnt feel quite so shit. Im going through again on Normal now, there are 12 chapters and I'm half way through again.

Once I have powered up Mr Zappa enough on my Normal run I was going to up the difficulty to very hard, the combat may take on a new tactical level and make me appreciate the game all over again. We shall see.

• 1 month later...

yeah! i played about an hour of this, at the start i really wasn't liking it, like illdog says the cutscenes are a bit boring, nothing really happens. the first proper level is a bit better just because its quite crazy. i did one gigolo mission and it was some time attack fight, which i kept failing, but it showed there's a bit more to the combat i guess.

• 4 months later...

i went back to this to finish it over the last few days, didn't really enjoy it, the combat and abstract graphics aren't bad, occasionally fun even. but mostly i found it pretty boring, illdog sums up a big problem here:

What annoys me the most are the cut scenes. Its not that the story isn't interesting, its just that the cut scenes that portray it are unnecessarily drawn out. Lots of lingering camera shots and silence which I'm sure is all arty and different but... here is a game full of potential arcade action that I'm itching to play and im getting a close up of someones face and get to watch them really slowly turn their head. SKIP.

i didn't skip the cutscenes but was paying little to no attention to them, and probably would have been better off skipping them. some of the levels are even filled with boring slow walking around for god knows what reason.

• 4 years later...

Seeing Regemond talk about this game in the purchased thread reminded me I picked this up again about two years after posting my original impressions and ended up loving it. The story can still do one but once i really got to grips with the combat I had a great time with it.

6CED9725-69A7-4DB0-A7E6-ED7683CED83D.png

I played an hour or so of this earlier today, and I'm not gonna lie, I have no clue what I think of it yet.

It's fucking nuts! After a couple of basic training bits, the first main level is based on Alice in Wonderland, and is suitably ridiculous to match. I was smashing pussy at one point (literally. Using my sword to smash ceramic cats) and out pops a slutty nurse to top up my blood and tell me I can visit her anywhere. I found her three more times in the next level too...

I also had a go at the first of the gigolo missions that were mentioned above too (not gonna lie, they're the main reason I wanted to buy the game. I'm getting such a kick out of pervy games recently. Side note: feel free to recommend any other dodgy titles). I don't remember any controversy behind them, but the whole thing just came across as awkward, not offensive. I'm sure once I get the weird glasses I'll think differently though.

After saying I'm not sure what I think of it at the start, and now having tipped this out, I've realised I'm actually kind of loving it right now though. Unlike illdog I quite like the dumb personality. I quite like the dumb scripting. I quite like the dumb, well, everything. It's just Mondo's assistant I can't fucking stand. Seriously, just mute the fuck out of her!

Last point too...

On 31/08/2013 at 7:44 AM, illdog said:

A lock on would have been nice

This. All kinds of this.