passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Savant: Ascent

HandsomeDead

I've been playing this little game that someone might care about.

It's from the people who are making that Owlboy game. They made this during a break as a kind of holiday. The Savant guy is some dub-step dude (well, apparently he goes under a few aliases, but when he makes dub-step it's Savant, from what I've stumbled across).

It's a simple game but with some fun things in it. It's sort of shooter but you're stuck to the ground, you can move but only between two points, and you can switch between them or jump between them giving some variety in the way you dodge enemies, you know, sometimes a bit of air might help you dodge an attack or visa versa. It does mean you really have to keep an eye on the screen for things coming at you as well as what you're firing at. Shooting is done with the mouse in a way you'd expect, but your magic does need a sec to wind up, though your first shot is a burst that does more damage before turning into a rapid fire shot.

That's the game, basically and you can tell from the video, I guess.

I think it's a pretty cool game. The little subtleties in the movement and firing do make for some exciting moments as you somersault around and the game looks and sounds great. It's got some real nice pixelart, though judging from what they've shown of Owlboy that's no surprise, and the dub-step fits the fast pace of the game and the sort of mechanical Gothic look.

It definitely suits being a phone/tablet game. You do get access to an Android version, too, when you buy it but it won't run on my phone so I don't know how it handles on a touch device.

It slipped under the radar a bit but I thought I'd show yous as I think it's worth knowing about. You buy it here.

I mentioned it briefly here: http://www.mfgamers.com/index.php?showtopic=37880&p=145217

Wasn't sure where to put this (didn't think it would merit enough interest for it's own thread).

I bought Savant: Ascent (http://savantgame.com/) today for $1.99 from their website.

It's an arcade style action/shooty game where you aim and shoot with the mouse and dodge left/right with WASD keys. You shoot enemies and collect CD pieces to increase your multiplier and move on to the next stage, while awesome music plays. If you collect enough CD pieces you unlock a disc that gives you a permanent upgrade/new ability and a new song that plays in game. I'm currently dying a lot because I'm too focused on my reticule that I don't notice the arrows that indicate you're about to get hit by a projectile until it's too late.

It's great fun for hardly any money, and the music is great.

it's also on Greenlight right now.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=166110563

I'm not saying that noticing it so long before you makes me better, but we all know that's what everyone's thinking. Who am I to judge them?

I like it, but I'm not very good at it

I like it, but I'm not very good at it

I'm good at it enough to bleedin' finish it! But I have tried the endless mode and I do struggle to get a good score.

I managed to get over 5,000,000 in story mode with the help of the easier tutorial section but when I dive right into the endless mode I can't get more then 700,000. It's tough. You need to be on the ball.

• 3 months later...

Just while I was talking about wee phone games I remembered I saw that this is on the Play Store now and I got the Android version when I bought it on PC from those Humble Bundle guys.

Basically, don't bother with the phone version. It is controlled with a virtual analogue stick which is rarely ever good and your movement is also limited... well, I couldn't figure out how to do the high jump so some things are impossible to dodge.

I was looking forward to seeing how this would turn out in a portable form but it's really inferior to the PC version, which is odd because it is so structured to be a game you play on a phone.

I could imagine it working ok on touchscreens with a drag to aim control scheme. Shame it's not good, but I wouldn't have played it on that format anyway.

I booted it up on Steam yesterday for a quick blast, and got all the way to the boss fight thing on the first try. I took it out, then some little guy in a V for Vendetta Guy Fawkes mask killed me before I knew what was happening. On the the next few attempts I died before ever getting to that bit again, which is typical really.