passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

What's More Important, Frame Rate or Graphics?

DANGERMAN

In an ideal world this coming gen would be 1080p and 60fps, likely though we'll be getting most games at 30fps. This gen plenty of games ran at less than 30fps, Castlevania Lords of Shadow being one that stood out for me, I don't think The Last of Us is 30fps. In these instances I think I'd rather take a graphical knock, be it less geometry or just black bordering the resolution a la Battlefield 3

However I play most things on PC where I can pretty much set my framerate, I can turn things down and get in the hundreds. It's rare that I ever really need to worry about this stuff admittedly, but when I have it's rare that I've chosen to significantly drop the resolution, what tends to happen is that instead of playing on my tv (1080) I play on my monitor (1680 x 1050).

What I more often do is turn a few things off, drop the AA down, water reflections etc. There's only been a handful of games that I've struggled with, I think Bioshock Infinite ran below 60fps for me, and there were definitely points of Witcher 2 which ran way below 60fps. To be honest, so long as they're running well above 30fps I'm not too fussed

I know you don't really get these options on consoles, but which would you prefer COD running at sub 720p but 60fps, or Battlefield running at 30fps with all the graphics?

I think what I want more than anything is solid framerates, if you can only get 30 then lock it at 30, don't let it fluctuate as that makes it more noticeable. Lords of Shadow was like that, I could deal with it running at 26 or whatever it was until it suddenly dropped below that. But then playing the pc demo and it running at 60fps, it feels a much better game

I suppose I prefer he smoothness of a good frame-rate but I've never been offended by a game running at 30. On Battlefield 3 there were certainly times in or dealing with the fast moving vehicles I would liked more frames but overall I'm fine with a solid 30 with games like that since it mostly doesn't need the frames since it's slower paced. More is nice but 30 is fine.

I think it's only with fighting games or arcade racers I don't expect anything less then 60 because the tighter your game the more frames you need.

I've not played the new DmC yet (at lest the full game) and I would like to play it back to back with a similar game that runs at 60 too see if the things they did to get around the lower framerate does work.

But I dunno. I don't notice what the framerate is half the time and it's only when it goes under 20 I notice. Shitty eyes, maybe.

Frame rate for me as well. I love that silky smooth look when something is running at 60fps. I would rather developers lock it as well though, I find it very off putting when the frame rate is up and down. Moving through small corridors becomes sexy eye candy, then as soon as you hit the open it drops again and you scream to the heavens and ask why there must be such injustice.