passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Breaking Bad

Sambob

Got my girlfriend Sarah well into this. I wasn't sure if she'd like it, but she got hooked pretty quickly. Good girl.

It's my 3rd watch-through, and it's still an absolute joy. It's fun to hear Sarah's guesses on what's coming up, I refuse to spoil anything for her. She's at the 7th episode of Part One of the final series. She's asked "which show is better than this then?". Fuck all sweetheart, fuck all :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah the change is quite quick, you won't be looking at him like Malcolm's dad for much longer.

I went back through the whole thing recently and there are now 2 things that I can't quite get past:

Series 4 spoiler

Gus getting up and straightening his tie. Come on!

Series 5 spoiler

He's public enemy number 1 but still doesn't get noticed in the bar in his new town nor when he's in the cafe when he meets Creepy Todd and the woman with the tea.

Aside from those points, the whole thing is a work of genius.

Yeah the change is quite quick, you won't be looking at him like Malcolm's dad for much longer.

I went back through the whole thing recently and there are now 2 things that I can't quite get past:

Series 4 spoiler

Gus getting up and straightening his tie. Come on!

Series 5 spoiler

He's public enemy number 1 but still doesn't get noticed in the bar in his new town nor when he's in the cafe when he meets Creepy Todd and the woman with the tea.

Aside from those points, the whole thing is a work of genius.

You read this alternate ending theory?

http://m.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2013/09/breaking-bad-finale-reviewed.html

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hmm, I'm finding it tough to sit through this.

But it reminds me of how I felt about later seasons of Breaking Bad, which is that once it captured the zeitgiest it started to feel inflated with a sense of it's own importance. You'd get like ten episodes of pointless buildup into a predictable finale with one or two major twists towards the end. Have just like two or three genuinely terrific episodes. Rinse and repeat.

But the first two seasons were genuinely great. How Walt forced this criminal persona to get access to a world that he didn't belong in. How 'Heisenberg' got away from him and turned into this powerful myth, which he then slowly moved into, filling the role and 'actualizing' the "one who knocks". The tension between Walt and Heisenberg is what made it brilliant TV. Once 'Walt' went away so did a lot of the suspense, imo

(Dinner plate scene, best moment of the show. Closely followed by 'this, is not meth')

Is it just me who feels this way? It always felt like the hype of BB turned what started as an exciting series into a really boring one that was constantly making itself out to be this big, bold thing but was actually fairly ordinary.

Like I saw comments at the time saying that the BB finale was the best finale ever. I just could never understand that. Crazy. Watch Six Feet Under people.

Better Call Saul was actually way better than expected tho, complete surprise that one

I'll put this in spoilers incase anyone is sparked in to watching Breaking Bad

Spoiler

one of my issues with the show is that they never really earn the 'I'm the one who knocks'. He isn't. Ever. It's not long after that he's literally pissing his pants in fear. The only person he's especially ruthless to is Jesse. Maybe I missed something, and he's certainly not a good person, but he's never this supposed underworld nightmare they make him out to be in that scene

@DANGERMAN I am the one who put it spoilers for you.

But also I think that is kind of the point, he's pretty delusional by that point but also out his depth as well. I think it's one of the best character arcs and acting roles committed to telly. I did have issues with the last season in that they did a good job of wrapping up threads from three seasons but left themselves with little else to do so had to bring in new elements. I'd agree with @one-armed dwarf in that it bought into its own hype, but it's still one of the best TV shows ever made in my opinion.

I've only watched the first half of El Camino so far, but I've really enjoyed it so far.