passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

illdog

Seems so far to be an adventure of two brother getting from A to B (to get daddy some medicine I think). Big Brother is controlled by the left stick (movement) and the left trigger (interaction) and Little Brother is the right stick and trigger. The focus of the game play is traversing the land in which the game, controlling both brothers at once and solving puzzles that require co-operation between the two.

I just did one such puzzle that wasn't particularly difficult to solve but it made me smile:

You encounter a raised bridge. On your side of the bridge is a large hamster wheel. On the other side of the bridge is a patch of dirt containing about 6 sheep. You put little brother in the wheel which lowers the bridge, big brother crosses the now lowered bridge and picks up a sheep. Crosses back with sheep, little brother jumps out of the wheel and bridge raises. Sheep is placed in wheel and just starts running of his own accord, bridge raises, both brothers cross safely

It look nice, i don't particularly like the style of graphics, has this basic look to it which I'm not too keen on but the lighting is lovely, has this nice sunset-y look to it. And the music is nice too although I don't particularly remember any of it which is normally the sign of a well worked score if you know what I mean. Oh, and I could do without the babbling french sounding language they speak, I mean they do a good job of conveying their points with hand gesture and the likes but either speak English or just use hand gestures innit.

I haven't got far in to it yet so I cant tell you if the 1200 moon dollar price tag is justifiable but about 45 minutes in and it hasn't done a great deal wrong.

I just finished this, it's not massive, 5 hours or so. But wow, this game hides quite a dark and sinister side. You get a glimpse of it here and there but the last level really ramps it up, quite emotional if you're the sort. And I take back any negatives on the graphical style, once I was used to it I had no problems with it, it's a real thing of beauty. This is a lovely game, I won't say any more as I'm interested in the opinion of others.

• 3 months later...

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

I knew Brothers had more to it going in, it's basically what everyone says about it, and you could take wild stabs at what's going to happen, but it's done so well.

I didn't struggle with the gameplay as much as I expected, I died once not knowing what to do with a torch, but generally I managed to control it ok. I found that any time the brothers crossed my brain just broke. It does a good job of mixing things up considering it is pretty much just platforming with a handful of puzzles.

It's brilliant though, glad I got around to it before the end of the year

I've been trying to think of what else I wanted to say about this, I was talking to my housemate about it, he's refused to ever play it and was going to read about it on wiki just to spoil it himself to spite me :lol: so I ended up telling him what happened and it got me thinking about the ending.

It doesn't end. I was very ready for it to end once the elder brother had died, I absolutely didn't want to keep playing once the game had made me drag his body to the hole and dump soil on his lifeless corpse. But it keeps going, and it's really effective that it does. I couldn't tell if the father resented the kid or not

What I thought was really clever was how you had to use the elder brother's action button to cross the water at the end, it makes me think the concept and story came at the same time. The really clever bit was the that pad rumbled if you moved the left analogue stick :(

• 1 month later...

played through this today, as already said. it's really good, nice graphics, nice gameplay/puzzles, nice story.

about the end -

it was sort of spoiled just by sheer number of times i've read that something big and emotional happens at the end, so you know someones going to die. but yeah it is really well done (like Ben mentions having to use the dead bro's controls to swim was a great touch) and i might never have gotten round to it had it not been talked about so much.

on sale everywhere at the moment too, not sure how much on steam but its £3 odd on xbla and psn i believe.

• 2 months later...

So I downloaded Bro's as a PS+ freebie on Saturday, and completed it in a single sitting.

I really enjoyed it. It looks fantastic (apart from a few Unreal engine texture pop-in moments), and I loved the fairy tale fantasy world.

A couple of glitches in the first 45 minutes made me worry about it at first (a child with a ball levitating 12 feet off the ground, and being stuck because the troll thing not moving to his next position until I quit the game and restarted). But after that it ran just fine.

The controls never stopped being brain-bending for me, but also never prevented me from being able to progress. Some of the single player co-op stuff was fun, I enjoyed the mines and the giant castle a lot.

• 2 months later...

I just did this, took me about 3 hours from start to finish.I expected what was to come, it was really hard not to guess the ending the way people went on about it when it came out, but the way it was executed was worth playing.

I might go back and trophy skim and take in the vistas again. The water areas were really nice to look at.

Did you see David Jason (Old man looking after father), Ron Jeremy (old pissed up guy that offers kid bottle of booze) and Paris Hilton (troll lady made up with lipstick)? I know I did. I was sad at the end. Poor Prince Harry.