passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Pikmin 3

illdog

This games all about being awesome. If you want to be awesome, play this.

Its pretty hand holdy to begin with as you'd expect from Nintendo. Story wise, does it matter? Ship crashes, 3 different crash site for three different main characters, shut the fuck up cos I want to play.

First dude (Charlie) you get to control gets you used to commanding pikmin around, second dude (Alph) gets you to building stuff and creating new pikmin. Ive met up with the third, this is a chick called Brittany, she showed me that with two main characters on screen we can split in to teams and multi task. I already met up with two types of pikmin, red and rock, rock pikmin being super awesome and tough, so i can split in to multiple teams with multiple pikmin? This is gonna hurt my poor brain.

Looks effin gawjus, cant wait to playa new Zelda game like this. Wii pad is lovely, sticks are just right, movement is super smooth and the buttons arent at all confusing so far. Also have an instant affinity for my pikmin chums, the lovable buggers.

Just finished Day 2, have to stop for a little bit now but hoping to wank some time in over the weekend. Loving my Wii U.

This games all about being awesome. If you want to be awesome, play this.

yeah after playing for about 3 hours tonight i think this sums it up very well. its totally amazingly excellent. my wii u purchase at launch, mainly to play this game, is now fully justified.

i've just finished day 8, the temptation to go back and repeat days is strong, day 3 especially i messed up big time and did it again, should have had another go really because the second attempt wasn't much better, and that impacted the next day too, messed up another later on too but not as bad - i don't think this will have much impact on finishing the game, but i might go back and do a second run through and do it better. don't mind replaying days either when the games this good. the controls are the only slight problem so far, the pad is ace, especially for looking around the map and giving your other character directions while you do other stuff, but at the

first boss fight - the bit where i did badly

the controls i think would have been better with the remote/nunchuck - so i might give that a try, but that is quite early on and i am getting more used to the pad now so. in general use the controls are great it was just that bit.

everything else about it is brilliant.

its hard to explain what the game is but its just like old pikmin, but there isn't really anything else like pikmin (except that other game that looks like pikmin and i can't remember the name of now? little kings story? overloard?) it's sort of:

RTS + nintendo = awesome.

After being fine with the pad controls for quite a while now, I just hit a boss that I found really tough, probably could do it with heavy losses mind, but decided to try again with the remote/nunchuk, and despite that being my first go with the new controls, pretty much kicked its ass, so much easier to aim with the pointing. But then back to normal play on the next day and I sort of want to go back to the pad.

Anyway still loving it, on day 16 now I think. The days are not like levels, it's strange because I think a system that made me stop and pack up what I was doing every 20 or so mins would be annoying in most games but here it seems like a great system, it adds a form of strategy in what you can try and get done in a day and how you manage the time, and the mad panic to get stuff back to base and find stragglers before night time.

Finished :D Just the minimum required though, under half the fruit collected, 25 days, 7.5 hours, not sure the time includes the 6 or so days I replayed. A lot of pikmins died :( pretty tough in parts, one boss I took a lot of losses but was struggling to get past it so just accepted the losses in the end. My opinion of it hasn't changed from early impressions, it's flipping brilliant.

Yea, this is sosodef. And you beat it already Spat? Christ! This morning was he first chance i've had since Thursday to play.

Dyunowhutho? I dont like the time limit. Its too fucking short. I feel like im always in a hurry and im wasting time exploring the nooks and crannies instead of getting on with what I need to be doing. I do like the fact that the bosses stay as damaged as you left them, not that I've ustilised that yet but I read it on a file I found behind a mushroom so it must be true.

Thats pretty much my only negative about this game, its supper happy, really addictive and a pleasure to play. I had to replay Day 4 because I utterly fucked it up. Just got to the end of Day 7. Yeah.

Theres no overall time limit like there was in the first game, looks like people on the leader boards have played for near 100 days to collect all the fruit. Illdogs on about the days being too short, I quite like the time limit because it sort of turns it into a score attack game, but yeah i do keep running out of time, especialy on the bosses, another mode where you could explore and go back to your ship whenever you want instead of being rushed would be really good too I recon, in fact that might be better for a first playthrough.

That's some good info on the bosses keeping damage illdog, if I'd known that I'd probably have replayed less days and saved more pikmin by doing the bosses more slow and steady rather than going all in to try and get it done in a day. Actually that happened to me on the last boss but I guess I didn't realise it would be the same for the other bosses.

been hunting for fruit - carried on from the day before the end, a few have been real head scratchers, and some have been difficult battles with many sad losses, but most are fairly easy but fun to get, still got ~10 left to collect.

Got all the fruit now, 39 days iirc, and tried some of the challenge missions, the first 5 are fruit collect em ups with a time limit which I think are absolutely amazing. You get gold fruit to collect, all worth points, get enough points to get gold/silver/bronze medals. The rest are more fighting baddies and bosses, not tried them but suspect I won't like thoes as much.

• 1 month later...

Started this last night, im absolutely loving it. Its such a cosy sort of game, its got that Nintendo quality look and feel running right the way through it.

I agree with what dizzog was saying about the day length, I dont feel like im getting that far in a level before the 'hurry up' warning appears, but I didnt realise there was no 30 day limit like the previous two had, that said, removing the need to return all pikmin to the onions each night gives you a lot more time to play with, as long as they are in your active squad then all pikmin are safe as you basically just walk them back to the onion after the time runs out, the only pikmin in danger are ones sat idle somewhere. Ive done my first main boss, the crystal bug/snakey thing thats effectively pinched from the Zelda games, and I was surprised by the difficulty already. I guess its as you said Spatty, had I realised that the damage carried over then Id have taken a more careful approach, I was going gung-ho trying to get him dead in a day but there was no need, so again its a change that makes it seem harder but in the long run its probably easier than before.

Monster session on this yesterday really enjoying it. Just got the blue mofos after chasing a mysterious character who has nicked my precious foodstuffs. Its at the point where I need to mix different squads and also make the most of three commanders and its working really well, dont have any gripes with it particularly, youd get more done if they increased the day length but the flip side is like spatular said, its makes it almost like a score attack where you have to really focus to get the most out of your days, so its fine.