passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

My Anime List

radiofloyd

Way back in 2008 when I was regularly borrowing manga from a friend and it seemed like critically acclaimed anime/films being released at least once or twice a year - I joined this cool site:

My Anime List

Watching the trailer for The Wind Rises remind me of it and I'm glad to see it still exists. Hard to believe how into manga I was then, and I never bought another book after Buddha Volume One. My anime viewing has been pretty lacklustre as well, I haven't watched any tv series and I've even fallen behind on the Studio Ghiblis.

Anyway I updated my manga and anime lists:

http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/TommyH

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/TommyH

One quirk of that site is that the titles are in Japanese (although if you go to each title's page it will give you the international titles). For quick scanning, my lists in English are:

Completed:

Akira

5 Centimeters Per Second

Ghost in the Shell

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence

Grave of the Fireflies

Ninja Scroll

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

The Place Promised in our Early Days

Porco Rosso

Kiki's Delivery Service

Metropolis

Whisper of the Heart

Princess Mononoke

Only Yesterday

Paprika

Pom Poko

Spirited Away

Laputa: Castle in the Sky

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

My Neighbour Totoro

Ocean Waves

Plan to watch:

Cowboy Bebop

Death Note

Fullmetal Alchemist

Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (I have this on DVD)

Tales from Earthsea

Voices of a Distant Star

Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below

Howl's Moving Castle

Junkers Come Here

The Secret World of Arrietty

The Wind Rises

From Up on Poppy Hill

The Garden of Words

Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro

Millennium Actress

A Letter to Momo

Paranoia Agent

The Cat Returns

Perfect Blue

Summer Wars

The Little Norse Prince

Tokyo Godfathers

My Neighbors the Yamadas

La Maison en Petits Cubes

I guess my immediate wishlist is to watch the Ghiblis I'm missing, and a few others. The main tv shows I want to watch are Paranoia Agent and Cowboy Bebop. And as for manga I must get back to Buddha and then maybe try 20th Century Boys. That should get me back on track.

It would be cool if a few of you joined and we had a forum group.

Considering how much I have seen over the years I own very little anime. I will take a look at the site tomorrow. I would highly recommend not recommending Tales From Earthsea though, that movie was truly awful. Cynical, generic crap.

I'd give Arriety a miss too, it's just the Borrowers not particularly well told. In fact, Ponyo aside because at least it's fun, I don't think Ghibli have done anything especially good since Spirited Away

Paranoia Agent and Perfect Blue though are :toss: I thought Summer Wars was decent too

of the ones you've seen I thought 5 Centimetres A Second and The girl Who Leapt Through time were both standouts that aren't the usual go to stuff.

I might post some stuff tomorrow, I watched something last week that was pretty interesting, I'll see if I can find the youtube link again and post it

Space Fantasia 2001 Nights. recently had a remake of sorts which is... ok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPEBBF9hUOA

I don't want to give too much away because it's got a great story. It's not exactly action packed, but it's the kind of sci-fi you don't really get to see that often anymore

Probably the most interesting anime series I've watched in the last few years is also fairly old It's called Now and Then Here and There, it's about child soldiers but set in another world. Oddly Manga Entertainment have put it up on youtube, unfortunately it's a dubbed version, I'm not how sure if that version is any good, I watched a sub of it

http://www.youtube.com/show/nowandthenhereandthere

there was a couple of others I posted in the anime thread that are more recent that I enjoyed, but it's been a few years since I've seen anything really interesting. I don't know if that's because anime/manga has got very samey or if it's just that the internet only focuses on a small selection

Watched episode one of Cowboy Bebop, Asteroid Blues. Really good stuff. I'm gonna start with this and Paranoia Agent. After that I have Death Note and FLCL on my list but I'm open to suggestions...

Well Paranoia Agent can wait because it looks like I'll have to buy it. Currently downloading episode one of Nodame Cantabile instead, seems lovey dovey enough for me. :)

Watched the first two episodes of Cowboy Bebop, brilliant show. I added some more stuff to my watch list - Fullmetal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood, Stand Alone Complex and S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Great Teacher Onizuka, Kino's Journey, Future Boy Conan and Neon Genesis Evangelion.

On to episode 4 now in Cowboy Bebop and I watched the first episode of Nodame Cantabile. Seems like it has a lot of potential, and definitely the type of thing I would enjoy, assuming it picks up a bit as it goes along.

for those off work or with DVRs, Film4 are running a Ghibli season. As far as I can tell it's mainly focussed on showing stuff at 11am, starting with My Neighbours the Yamadas

Which brings me to something that bothers me about anime/manga, and I assume part of the reason RF started this thread (?). If you were to go on an anime forum and ask for stuff to watch, if you said you wanted something good, something you hadn't seen before, even if you specifically said you'd seen/didn't like Naruto, Bleach and Deathnote, you could guarantee 90% of the recommendations you got would be Naruto, Bleach and Deathnote.

This Film4 thing mentioned 'the spirit of Ghibli', so hopefully it's more than just Ghibli films. When I was a kid Channel 4 and BBC2 used to occasionally have anime seasons, this would invariably include Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Roujin Z, and whichever Ghibli films they had the rights to. It was the same stuff every year.

I don't have a problem with Naruto, Bleach, Deathnote (well, the first half of it), Trigun, Ghost in the Shell, One Piece, and Ghibli's stuff, but there must be more interesting stuff being made. It just seems like anime on the net is so skewed towards younger teens that all the new stuff that gets hyped is just the same shit under a different name

Yeah I've caught up on a lot of Ghiblis through their seasons, although it's a shame they insist on showing certain movies dubbed. I guess they only have one copy of a film in their system (however it works) and that's the one they keep showing over and over. Still, My Neighbours the Yamadas is on in Japanese so I'll be watching that.

In fairness MAL is pretty good for recommendations, you should join Ben if you haven't. It has lists for the most popular and highest ranked manga and anime, and there are recommendations on the home page as well as each individual movie/anime page. So you come across a lot of stuff.

As far as what's hot at the moment well I think the most popular show is Attack on Titan, which you can actually watch here:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/attack-on-titan

I haven't watched it yet though. I'm up to episode 8 in Cowboy Bebop and ep 5 in Nodame Cantabile.

Yeah I've caught up on a lot of Ghiblis through their seasons, although it's a shame they insist on showing certain movies dubbed. I guess they only have one copy of a film in their system (however it works) and that's the one they keep showing over and over. Still, My Neighbours the Yamadas is on in Japanese so I'll be watching that.

Film4 used to have the same movie on multiple times during the week and alternate between English and Japanese so if ever you come across an English dub it might be worth checking back a couple of days later.

For a suggestion I saw on Netflix a while back an anime called 5 Centimeters Per Second, but unfortunately it isn't there anymore. it's really sentimental, so brace yourself for that, but it's really, really nicely animated. It's worth watching, overall.

For a suggestion I saw on Netflix a while back an anime called 5 Centimeters Per Second, but unfortunately it isn't there anymore. it's really sentimental, so brace yourself for that, but it's really, really nicely animated. It's worth watching, overall.

I've seen that, I agree with you. Nice film. He also made The Place Promised in Our Early Days which is really good. I need to watch his two recent films, Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below and Garden of Words. Also I still haven't seen Voices of a Distant Star.

I've made a list of all the anime shows I want to watch:

• Beck
  • Crest of the Stars
  • Death Note
  • Eden of the East
  • FLCL
  • Fullmetal Alchemist
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
  • Future Boy Conan
  • Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
  • Haibane Renmei
  • Honey and Clover
  • Kino's Journey
  • Legend of the Galactic Heroes
  • Maison Ikkoku
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
  • Monster
  • Nana
  • Natsume's Book of Friends
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion
  • Now and Then, Here and There
  • Outlaw Star
  • Paranoia Agent
  • Steins;Gate
  • The Tatami Galaxy
  • Texhnolyze
  • Time of Eve
  • Trigun
  • The Rose of Versailles
  • The Vision of Escaflowne

That should last me a lifetime! :)

I've just finished watching the persona 4 anime, it was a bit hit and miss really, so not sure I'd fully recommend it, although I did enjoy it. Probably would have been better if I didn't know exactly what was going to happen as it follows the game very accurately, but then I'd probably complain if didn't. kids on the slope, was pretty good, well the music was awesome. Most stuff I'd recommend is probably already on your lists. Except maybe gurren lagann, which is worth a watch. I'm similar that I wouldn't mind recommendations on what to watch, but also have a backlog of stuff to watch so not sure when id get round to any of it. Like that titans thing, I'd like to try that but not sure when. Had a look at that site too, looks good but the Japanese names confused me a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished season one of Nodame Cantabile which was really enjoyable, my favourite episodes were probably the Stresemann episodes but it was pretty solid up to the end. I'll continue it after I've watched a few more things.

I'm now watching Maison Ikkoku which is absolutely brilliant and will take some beating I think. I love everything about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Up to episode 37/96 in Maison Ikkoku now.

It's funny, the show ran for ten years. What I've watching now would have been shown three years after the show started. I'll probably be finished in a month. Compare that to watching the final episode ten years after you started watching? It's crazy.

Anyway, I love it. The music, the characters, the animation, the voice acting...ah it's brilliant.