passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Kentucky Route Zero

radiofloyd

Having played the opening scene of this game I'm going to cautiously give it a "highest recommendation". In fact the opening scene was pretty much perfect so I'm looking forward to getting stuck in.

Two of the games planned five acts have been released so far. The official website gives a pretty good description:

Kentucky Route Zero is a magical realist adventure game about a secret highway in the caves beneath Kentucky, and the mysterious folks who travel it. Gameplay is inspired by point-and-click adventure games (like the classic Monkey Island or King's Quest series, or more recently Telltale's Walking Dead series), but focused on characterization, atmosphere and storytelling rather than clever puzzles or challenges of skill.

The game is developed by Cardboard Computer (Jake Elliott and Tamas Kemenczy). The game's soundtrack features an original electronic score by Ben Babbitt along with a suite of old hymns & bluegrass standards recorded by The Bedquilt Ramblers.

So far the game has a Cormac McCarthy feel to it which I really like.

ss_4a6d76555cdd9b2e004002ec837c22f244770

ss_90bdbd40772e7078a0254f90cd72f342c388f

Finished Act 1, superb stuff. Super Hexagon has a rival for my favourite game of 2013 (they might also be the only games I've played this year...)

There are some really great scenes in there, the writing is consistently excellent, and there are some (direct) references to other notable videogames... :)

On to Act 2!

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

What happened to Thursday after my exam? Well, 18 months later... I booted up Steam and let it run through its queue of updates. 1.6gb for Broken Age, 1.2gb for The Banner Saga... Before playing Act 3 of Kentucky Route Zero I decided to play the minisodes the developers have released. The first one, Limits and Demonstrations, was pretty short. The second one, which I think was released between Acts 2 and 3, called The Entertainment, was really long. It takes around an hour I'd say. It was an interesting way to re-introduce myself to the world of KYZ. I'll play Act 3 tomorrow.

Act 3 has linked in nicely with The Entertainment which is cool. I've completed a couple of scenes and now I'm just driving around the map interacting with things... According to Steam only 2 of my friends have played this game, which is a shame. Give it a go!

I loved Acts 1 and 2, Act 3 not so much, the story was still good but the gameplay was beginning to bore me quite a bit I must say, it is majorly annoying waiting 18+ months between Acts as well, I understand it's just 1 (or a few) Indie dev's and am patient as a result, but it is annoying nevertheless as I forgot what the hell was going on between Acts 2 and 3 and I'm sure it'll be the same for me with Act 4 when it eventually comes out.

Finished it there. Yeah Act III was easily the least enjoyable of the acts so far. It was interesting to a point (and artistically as impressive as ever) but it didn't wow me or leave me wanting more like the first two acts.

I don't think it's the kind of game that you could play all five acts from start to finish in one go (the game has a lot of exposition) so for anyone holding off I would still recommend to play it now, and then wait for the next act.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Seven-ish years after launching and nearly 3 and a half years after Act IV, the final act is out on 28th January, according to the game's Steam page.

I've forgotten about this game several times in the wait for it to be completed, but looking forward to playing it some time this year.

I was coming here to post this too. I’ve played the first three acts but I might just start again from scratch. There’s a big difference in the gaming landscape between when this first appeared and now though. I have so many games to play.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I started this probably right after my previous post in here, I had the first chapter but never played beyond the first scene, I've made more of a concerted effort recently to stick with it but for various reasons I've not really been playing much after work. That said I have finished the first act, I think I'm going to set aside time each week to chip away at it, at least unless it grabs me and I want to play more

I know some people click with the game straight away, but I've heard plenty of others say they needed a few chapters for it to hit its stride. I think I'm in the latter, it had just started to pique my interest before the chapter ended, it had started to become a bit more mysterious and strange, even if still nothing has really happened

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I finished this tonight. I really like the final chapter, it's a quiet chapter, but it's a little hard to talk about it without spoiling stuff. I will say the cat is probably the best character in any game I've played all year

It's a sad game but not sad in the way games are usually sad, it's real mellon collie.

Spoiler

The way Conway sinks in to the worst aspects of his personality, starting to drink again, getting lazy, not finishing the job, his only real purpose. Falling for the manipulation of the Strangers just to gain a new purpose. 

Shannon just stood watching helpless as Conway leaves, changed, helpless to do anything about it. He's the main character, he's the reason all the characters are on this journey, in his van, and now he's gone.

Shannon and the rest just carry on with his journey, they've nothing else to do. It's why I kept selecting choices that kept Ezra with the group (I don't know if he can leave), it just didn't seem to fit that anyone had anything purposeful to do

Then you end up in the dead, drowned town. The neighbours have died, it's the tipping point for the residents to leave, and they all have to move on. You get the sense none of them have a reason to, they've not got anything they're driven to go and do, they just have to move on. Just as the game's characters arrive, it's a their story. Their friend has gone and it's time to move on, aimlessly, just keep moving forward

because that's all you can do, because you can't fight the man