passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Last of Us

DANGERMAN

It's not quite the game it looked in previews is it. It's not gritty Uncharted, nor is it STALKER in the Uncharted engine, it's something in between. It's very stealth heavy, you don't get a lot of ammo and health, not can you carry a lot, but it's not as open as it looked, there's a set path with scripted encounters.

I assume this is my own fault but the game is dark as fuck, I mean grim yeah, but actually dark. I've fucked up attacks because I couldn't see walls and barriers in the way, couldn't see what type of infected I was dealing with, infact couldn't see them coming towards me at one point. I'd heard some bad stuff about the AI, and for the infected it is very route-set, but the humans are well done I think, they'll try to flank you, and will react if you switch weapons

But then that's part of the problem, they don't react quite the way we were led to believe, or at least not yet (I'm about 30% in), I remember this was going to be like a clever Fallout. The tension is removed at times because while you're being stealthy and hiding from clickers, your mates can just run past them having a conversation without alerting them. It's probably for the best that they dont alert them, but it's a shame ND didn't manage to sort their stealth out.

It certainly is tense though, there's very little down time, and the intro was superbly done. It's genuinely impressive that Naughty Dog have got the game looking like it does and running so well. I've had a few things pop in and out of view, things like the contents of a bathtub, but mostly the frame rate has stayed locked, there's been no tearing, no slowdown, and all while probably being the best looking game on consoles

yeah i played some of this yesterday, the start is really well done. not what i was expecting. i'm playing on easy and got a bit stuck last night, not too far in, maybe 2 or 3 hours. there's a room with about 5 bad guys and i just keep dying, trying to do it stealthy, take 1/2 guys out but the clicker keeps hearing me and then everyone runs over :( maybe i should just shoot the crap out of them, i've been playing really stealthy so have loads of amo.

i'm not too keen on how the characters move around "realistically", yeah it looks nice and impressive, but its a game, i want him to do exactly what i tell him with no messing around.

it does look amazing at times, most of the time really, but sometimes not so impressive imo.

Played this a bit more and not sure I like it, it's sort of forcing you to use different tactics because of lack of items, which is fair enough, but I don't really like the shooting/fighting, enjoying the stealth though. But then run out of shivs and have to fight anyway, or even on one bit I stealthed past some dudes, then as I'm getting away they start looking in the new area I was in, seems fishy to me, they weren't bothered about looking there before, and as it was in the light and no where to hide, again I had to fight them.

I want to stick with it though because apparently the story is good? And it does look nice. And I dont think it's your fault it's dark DANGERMAN, I'm having the same problems with the darkness.

edit - it's probably my dislike for horror stuff why i'm not liking it that much, it's too tense for me.

I'm a few hours in now, met Bill, had a tense section from a different perspective.

This is one of the most tense games I've ever played. It plays a lot like Uncharted, you can tell it's the same people, but gunplay is very rare and ammo is even rarer.

I really wasn't expecting this game to be what it is. I'm fairly sure it's the only AAA survival horror game this generation (I could be missing something obvious).

I'm fairly late in at this point. I've just got to the 'Winter' section of the game and a whole bunch of stuff has certainly happened. It's pretty damn good, but perhaps not as impressive as it would of been if Telltales' Walking Dead games hadn't already happened. A lot of inspiration is taken from that (though probably more the comic than the game).

The game plays pretty well: a lot of options, a surprising amount of routs around the more wide open areas and intense and strategic 'every bullet counts' kind of gunplay. I think the only bad thing about it is the game spends a lot of time just making you walk around and move ladders about. I'm sure something could have been done to make the down time parts more interesting like some Half-Life see-saw puzzles or something. But that's just a quibble.

And, surprisingly, me and a buddy tried the multiplayer, and we both like it... who'd have thunk it? It's a lot like the single player: very limited ammo so every bullet still counts, a lot of stealth, being strategic with items and all that. Great for us who aren't that good at fast action online; it's a real old farts multiplayer game. We're probably gonna have it as our regular for a bit.

So yes, it's a good 'un. For me, I think it's better than Bioshock Infinite but not as good as Tomb Raider.

I dunno what headsets work on the PS3. I imagine a USB one may be worth trying.

I'm not playing it anymore tonight as I've spent like the whole evening finishing it and I'm kinda done for today, but just say when you want to give the multi a go again another day and I can come on.

I'm not surprised you didn't know what you were doing on your first attempt. Neither did I, really, but once I'd had four or five games I got the gist. Especially with another person to laugh about the dumb things we did. I think what helped us get into it was we did bump into a pair of Aussies who we teamed up with and played it all proper and really started to see how working as a team is important.

Some games we absolutely dominated because some were just sprinting around like divs, and going out alone, then we just pounced on the lonely one like a lion.

The main things you need to know are: always pick up everything in the metal boxes as it's just for you (each individual gets their own stuff when they open it), always upgrade your plank of wood for instant kills, make sure to always craft (molotovs and nail bombs are essential for taking out those who do hunker together), and remember your listening ability, and you can spot with R3!

But it generally has a similar vibe to Gears of War other than that stuff in terms of structure, except slower... so it's not gonna be for everyone. In fact, I can't see the multi taking off in a big way at all.

I'm gonna copy/paste what I've wrote about it on another forum here.

Ok, I'm past the halfway mark in The Last Of Us now.

My opinion hasn't changed though, and the more I play it, the more the faults become apparent. I definitely think some people are being a little swept away by the visuals, atmosphere and storytelling rather than the game itself. It's linear, very linear.....you're constantly just funneled from one area to the next with pretty much no choice of which route to take. The pace of the game is inconsistent....when there's things happening, and you've got enemies to deal with, it's a lot of fun....but inbetween the action scenes, there's a lot of walking around empty areas doing...not much asides from listening to Joel and Ellie talk a bit. Reminds me a little of the 'walking through the desert' scene on Uncharted 3 actually, and I can see it as something that would just bore me on a second playthrough. At some points, the game doesn't give you any choice at all whether to avoid the enemies or fight, it forces you to kill every single enemy in the area to clear a path for Ellie. And I'm seeing the AI do some ridiculous things, especially the human enemies. As it is they follow preset patrol routes and hardly ever deviate from them, they always completely ignore your team mates and Ellie even when they're standing right in front of them (enemies will only ever react to seeing Joel) and I've seen them at times completely ignore dead comrades or go into a weird panic...one of them did nothing but run around in a small circle earlier on, even when I came out of hiding and stood nearby where he was icon_confused.gif The lack of ways to use your environment is disappointing as well, all you can do is throw bottles and bricks, you can't even tap on walls like in Metal Gear Solid....plus melee weapons are quite limited too, it's only baseball bats, bits of wood or steel pipes, which you can choose to attach one of your shivs to for a one hit kill if you want. As I've touched on a bit earlier, melee combat is pretty clunky as well, literally just hammer the Square button.

But what it does right, it does very well, and it is compelling. It is still a quality game despite my complaints, but it's really isn't worthy of a 10/10 at all, IMHO.

I'd rate it 8/10. It is very good, and looks/sounds fantastic. But the story isn't as great as it likes to think it is (if you've already seen a load of zombies/infected movies or played a load of zombies/infected games) and the faults are just too annoying and many in order to be able to ignore them and give it a free pass.

I think all those are valid points but I'm much more positive on it than you, Troma.

I love a good open-world sandbox game but I also love a linear as hell campaign like Gears, Call of Duty or Bioshock.

I think the AI is much better than most games (though I agree more environmental stuff would be cool), the way they'll back off a little when you draw a gun but also react to hearing you run out of ammo, haven't seen that before.

I think all those are valid points but I'm much more positive on it than you, Troma.

I love a good open-world sandbox game but I also love a linear as hell campaign like Gears, Call of Duty or Bioshock.

I think the AI is much better than most games (though I agree more environmental stuff would be cool), the way they'll back off a little when you draw a gun but also react to hearing you run out of ammo, haven't seen that before.

I don't dislike it, not at all. I rate it a rock solid 8/10 and I think it's well worth playing (definitely a must play if you liked Uncharted) and what it does, it does very well. It just frustrates me to see a lot of 'professional' reviewers more or less completely ignoring any faults the game has and giving it a free pass because they like the graphics and storyline. I don't mind games having annoying niggles, but from some of the stuff I've read leading up to it's release, you wouldn't think it had any, and that it was the new messiah of survival games. No. It's just a really good action game with excellent graphics, a good setting and atmosphere to hide the things that aren't as polished as they could've been.

I do agree with you about the way enemies react differently when you draw a gun/etc....I like the way they hesitate when you grab human shields (I can still remember playing The Punisher on PS2 where the enemies would just murder the human shields anyway, lol) but there's still the odd problem like the ones I've mentioned. Also (and this doesn't just apply to The Last Of Us), it's getting a bit daft in games that whenever a guy spots one of his teammates lying dead on the floor they slowly walk over and investigate, leaving themselves as a wide open target for a few seconds.....I'd immediately back off and call for help if I saw someone down, even if they were at the other side of the room.