passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Shadowrun Returns

Uncle Dokuro

Character customization screen shots.

Chris Rogers of the character art team for the game posted the update saying, "From the hard-boiled, coolant-for-blood samurai, to the wild-child decker putting the punk back into cyberpunk, to the young shaman with an old soul in the newly Awakened world, Shadowrun is full of unique, memorable characters that simply don’t exist anywhere else."

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/05/25/shadowrun-returns-developers-detail-character-customization.aspx?CommentPosted=true#commentmessage

character_creation.jpg

outfits-600x275.jpg

portrait_examples-600x295.jpg

portrait_variants.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well it's going to keep on mocking you, July 25 is the release date:

We'd been told to expect a Shadowrun Returns release in June but now the date has been pushed back and set officially as 25th July.

"We know we've been saying June for some time, but now that we've reached this final stage of development, and although our Kickstarter funding was spent some time ago, we've decided to invest additional time in bug fixing and polishing the game," explained developer Hairbrained Schemes. "That means a longer crunch period for a tired team, but everyone agrees that it's worth it.

"One of the most common pieces of Backer feedback we've received over the past year is that we should take the time we need to ship this game. We really appreciate that, and we know we've thanked you already about a hundred times, but we're doing it again because we mean it. Thanks.

"You gifted us with your trust as well as your funding and we take that responsibility very seriously. You gave us the opportunity to contribute to something bigger than ourselves and something we think is worth all the time, sacrifice, and hard work. Soon, we'll give it all back to you."

Shadowrun Returns is a Unity-powered reinvention of the old and popular SNES RPG that was based on the Shadowrun

PnP game. It's due out on PC (Windows and Linux), Mac and tablets (Android and iOS). A level editor is thrown in.

The Backer community is already off to a flying start with that editor. One Let's Player made their own level to video - that video is embedded below.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-18-shadowrun-returns-release-date-set-at-25th-july

http://youtu.be/57L4bEOYgvE

Spiffy poster too, check it out on the Eurogamer page. I want one!

Edit: There's a load of new stuff on the HBS website:

http://harebrained-schemes.com/

Well it's going to keep on mocking you, July 25 is the release date:

We'd been told to expect a Shadowrun Returns release in June but now the date has been pushed back and set officially as 25th July.

"We know we've been saying June for some time, but now that we've reached this final stage of development, and although our Kickstarter funding was spent some time ago, we've decided to invest additional time in bug fixing and polishing the game," explained developer Hairbrained Schemes. "That means a longer crunch period for a tired team, but everyone agrees that it's worth it.

"One of the most common pieces of Backer feedback we've received over the past year is that we should take the time we need to ship this game. We really appreciate that, and we know we've thanked you already about a hundred times, but we're doing it again because we mean it. Thanks.

"You gifted us with your trust as well as your funding and we take that responsibility very seriously. You gave us the opportunity to contribute to something bigger than ourselves and something we think is worth all the time, sacrifice, and hard work. Soon, we'll give it all back to you."

Shadowrun Returns is a Unity-powered reinvention of the old and popular SNES RPG that was based on the Shadowrun

PnP game. It's due out on PC (Windows and Linux), Mac and tablets (Android and iOS). A level editor is thrown in.

The Backer community is already off to a flying start with that editor. One Let's Player made their own level to video - that video is embedded below.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-18-shadowrun-returns-release-date-set-at-25th-july

http://youtu.be/57L4bEOYgvE

Spiffy poster too, check it out on the Eurogamer page. I want one!

Edit: There's a load of new stuff on the HBS website:

http://harebrained-schemes.com/

I saw that release date on GI this morning, but I'm glad they are giving the game more time to be polished. I'm in the middle of polishing off Hell Yeah! and just picked up Capcom's Dungeon & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara today on Steam, so I have stuff to hold me over.

And the wait continues .....

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a new lets play of a fan-made level:

http://youtu.be/KgojXNLtc08

It looks like the community is really embracing the level editor, this game could have some serious longevity.

I was going to play through the Snes game in preparation for this but I realised yesterday that Snes game is meant to be rubbish compared to the Mega Drive/Genesis game. So it's the MD game I'll be playing!

• 3 weeks later...

This is out today! I'm saving it for after my exams, otherwise I would be foaming at the mouth...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-25-shadowrun-returns-review

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/07/25/wot-i-think-shadowrun-returns/

How about a "Kickstarter" tag like the "Indie" tag?

Civilization IV has distracted me from the Mega Drive game but I will finish it before playing Returns.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I started this tonight and it's really slick. Runs perfectly on my five year old piece of shit laptop, and looks great. I played through the first fight which was very easy (a common complaint about the game, from what I've read) - but good fun. It's a turn based isometric crpg after all. :)

So far the writing has been enjoyable. I picked a street samurai but I've held on to all my skill points, going to wait and see what the hell I end up doing in the game first. Overall, my first impressions are that they have made very tidy use of the $1.8 million they raised on kickstarter.

Details of the expansion:

Kickstarter success Shadowrun Returns will be expanded in a new Berlin-set expansion, Dragonfall, developer Harebrained Schemes has announced.

The $14.99 add-on will be free to all Kickstarter backers when it releases in January 2014. A $24.99 option for the original game and Dragonfall will also be available.

The expansion includes a new "full-length" campaign set in the Free City of Berlin, with a new hub neighborhood to explore.

A new cast of characters,a new score, new weapons, enemies and fresh Game Editor features are also included.

You'll also now be able to save progress any time, anywhere in the game - a feature that will be retroactively applied to the original game's campaign.

A full list of new features is now available to peruse on the Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter blog.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-19-shadowrun-returns-getting-berlin-based-dragonfall-expansion

I've completed the first "mission" of sorts, The Redmond Barrens (now in the Seamstress Union) and to be honest I've been smiling from ear to ear. This game is great. A few points:

- There are some really smart design decisions in this game. If you click on a point far away from your current location your character will sprint there really fast. If you go to exit the game it will tell you how old your most recent save is (in seconds/minutes) - so if for some reason you mistakenly thought the game had saved, you would spot that it hasn't. The game has been criticised for not having a save anywhere feature like the games of yore (changed for the expansion) - but really, that type of saving introduces problems of its own and from what I've played would be completely unnecessary in this game.

- The writing is excellent. I've been engaged in the story and each conversation so far. Two thumbs up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

6 hours in now, just entered the inner sanctum of the Universal Brotherhood. It's funny, one game that SR has reminded me of a lot is The Longest Journey, SR really does have a strong adventure game vibe to it (a good thing!).

I'm not sure how long the game is, I thought it was 15 hours but it feels like I'm nearing the end of the story unless there's a twist in the tale. The game has been criticised for being "rpg-lite" - which is an accurate description of the game when you consider how linear it is and it can be played in 20-30 minute chunks - but I wouldn't say it's light on features. In fact, everything present in the game works really well. The character classes are actually unique and combat is a blast. I hope Dragonfall isn't the last we see of Shadowrun (outside of fan-made campaigns). It would be really cool to see a 40 hour plus epic.

• 6 months later...

As Jordan discusses in the video above, exactly one year ago today we releasedShadowrun Returns on Steam. It was a pivotal moment for our little studio here. In 14 months, we’d gone from a dozen developers working out of a storage closet to being a full-fledged indie RPG developer. And the last year has been just as important for Harebrained Schemes - in the weeks and months following launch, Shadowrun Returns received a bunch of great reviews and kind words, from old and new fans alike. We even made several Game of the Year lists for 2013.

But most importantly, we got YOUR feedback. We learned what was working and what wasn’t about the game we’d worked so hard to create. Even better, we were able to take a lot of this feedback and channel it directly into Shadowrun: Dragonfall. Save-anywhere. A more open story with more compelling choices and locations to explore. A fully-realized team of runners to command and grow with over the course of the campaign.

And when Dragonfall launched, we were incredibly happy with the response it received. Reviewers praised the story, characters, and writing as some of the best in the business. For an indie studio like ours, that’s a huge deal! Still, as with Shadowrun Returns, we heard feedback about some things that folks wanted to see improved or simply wanted more of. We also heard many requests for a standalone version of the game - since it’s narratively independent of the Shadowrun Returns campaign, players wanted to be able to dive directly into Dragonfall.

So we thought: Why not just… make Dragonfall better?

We’re excited to announce Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director’s Cut. Inspired by other passionate, community-focused developers like CD Projekt RED (who continued to improve and add to their Witcher titles post-launch), we decided to make an even bigger & better Dragonfall for you guys. The Shadowrun team has been hard at work taking the existing Dragonfall campaign and making it even better - adding new features, missions, art, and more.

And we’ll be releasing it as a standalone title on Steam, GOG and the Humble Store.

What’s more, as a continued “thank you” for your support, the Director’s Cut will be FREE to all Backers and to all owners of the expansion version of Dragonfall. If you’ve played Dragonfall already, this should be a great opportunity to return to the streets of Berlin and enjoy the improved campaign all over again - to try a new archetype and make different decisions. And if you haven’t played Dragonfallyet, this will be the definitive version of the game to dive into.

We’ll be talking more about the specifics later next month - but we wanted you, our Backers, to be the first to know what we’re working on. The Director’s Cutwill be released sometime in September.

Stay tuned for a full announcement in August. Until then - from the entireShadowrun team - thank you again for your continued support, and for your help making Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall a reality.

http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/newsbit?newsbit=27974

• 8 years later...

Been playing this for a couple of days (Xbox Series S, Gamepass) and it's just the sort of game I really enjoy (isometric turn based RPG).

Better still looks like there's 2 more games in the (rebooted) series to play too.

In terms of progress:

Spoiler

I've just been to the Cemetery after finding Sam's killer, and now on my way to track down the Universal Brotherhood.

As much as I'm enjoying this it does have some 'game breaking' bugs in it that halt progress and mean a reload/level restart when interactive items (doors/jack points) just fail to initiate for no particular reason (I had it occur in the Brotherhood area and again in the Telestrian Industries - where I'd cleared all the enemies, but could progress no further as the elements I was supposed to interact with just wouldn't).

It's pretty reminiscent of many (prepatching) games of the 90s, but not really good to still encounter nowadays.