passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Stereo or Mono?

radiofloyd

Any preference? Can you name any specific albums or tracks?

I'm listening to the mono and stereo mixes of Pet Sounds at the moment and I'm leaning towards the stereo version. It just sounds nicer in headphones I think.

A lot of sixties recordings done in stereo were done pretty badly when they didn't know what they were doing. Check out them putting the drum tracks all on one side on old Beatles recordings!

If it's done right though, I'll always choose stereo - I'm a sucker for panning. :)

A lot of sixties recordings done in stereo were done pretty badly when they didn't know what they were doing. Check out them putting the drum tracks all on one side on old Beatles recordings! If it's done right though, I'll always choose stereo - I'm a sucker for panning. :)

You know what, I've heard those awful Beatles mixes! They're on my "to replace" list in my itunes... Yeah I agree.

A lot of sixties recordings done in stereo were done pretty badly when they didn't know what they were doing. Check out them putting the drum tracks all on one side on old Beatles recordings! If it's done right though, I'll always choose stereo - I'm a sucker for panning. :)

You know what, I've heard those awful Beatles mixes! They're on my "to replace" list in my itunes... Yeah I agree.

I have two Beatles Albums, Rubber Soul and The White Album, both 2009 remasters and Rubber Soul is still mixed pretty badly in stereo, I think. You know, guitars kept to one side vocals on the other. White Album is pretty well done, mind. I don't know the thinking behind the former.

But stereo for me, no doubt, especially since I listen to music through headphones 95% of the time.

I prefer stereo usually. I do have limitations, however. I'm deaf on my right side, as some of you probable know. And I whilst I love the old Beatles stuff, and have most of it in my collection, some of those old 60's stereo mixes really annoy me. One of my favourite Beatles tracks is "A Day In The Life", but if I listen to the mix on the Sergeant Pepper's album using headphones, I actually cannot hear most of the lyrics because of the way it's mixed. Singing on the right side, music of the left. The new mix of this song on the "Love" album is much better.

They did a lot of that in the 60's. Try the original mix of James Brown's "I Feel Good (I've Got You)", it's a perfect example of them thinking "we've got another speaker to use, what shall we do with it." Again it's singing on one side, music on the other. I took a while before they got it right, and experimentation started within music. Before I lost my hearing, I, like Hendo, was a fan of panning effects. And my favourite group, Queen, were big fans of putting stereo effects in their albums, and using multi layers to make their three voices (John Deacon rarely sang) sound like much more, However, all I can get now is a sort of pseudo-stereo when I use speakers instead of headphones.