passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Nintendo News

HandsomeDead

55 minutes ago, HandsomeDead said:

But any platform holders emulation was at best an exact recreation of the original game.  Amateur emulators often improve on them.  Dolphin, for example.

sure, but I don't think that's the point he's making, nor I thought why you posted it (in response to Maf). Also, to counter his point a bit more, the 2nd picture is also official Nintendo emulation, which is the best looking of all the pictures

anyway, I don't really care. how well N64 games run isn't something I'm going to spend my night thinking about 😄

For the sake of clarity I posted the tweet in response to Maf because he basically said that Nintendo have all the knowledge so why is it like this (paraphrasing)? So I shared that comment saying when it comes to emulation they aren't the most knowledgeable (they have the hardware so it's not a priority to them, initially at least).  They do have more of a head start when they do decide to emulate due to insider info but it has to be a business decision to get the green light for it.

So basically it can lead to better emulators being made by fans devs since they have more time on them.  And I don't think it's unusual for platform holders to pull from the work the community has already done.

But this N64 emulator is an odd one since Nintendo did have decent versions on the Wii and by extension the Wii U so I don't know specifically what's going on here.  I'd also like DF to have a look at them.

Funnily enough, the PS1 classic was built on a community emulator (and not even the best one out there) but it was badly done, they just wanted something on a shelf which is a shame.  I think it's because it was rushed out due to the Nintendo minis doing so well.

But alternatively the Mega Drive mini was great because they had M2 do it and bring their expertise.

Sorry, I have an interest in this stuff even though I don't emulate myself.  I just seek it out so it's second hand experience.

I will spend my night thinking about it 🙁

I was thinking about this and perhaps the reasons why the Wii and WiiU was able to run N64 games better than newer hardware, but this is me completely guessing without research.

I suspect the Wii and WiiU probably shared some hardware similarities with the N64. Obviously the Wii could run GC games natively meaning that it had the game cube hardware present in the system and I would guess that hardware is probably developed off the hardware that powered the N64 (for example, the original Animal Crossing was meant to be a N64 release before being bumped to the GC, which may (or may not) indicate both systems may have a shared architecture) whilst it seems pretty plausible that the switch was built from the ground up, sharing no shared architecture or hardware similarities with the WiiU down to the GC. I might be talking absolute bollocks though.

FWIW, I played a bit of MK64 and Lylat Wars this morning and they play fine. As good as I would have expected them to run at least.

lcgoltoo_gpa_1920x1080_timeline-1HZw7jJ_

I liked the first one, the second felt a bit "overdesigned".

I still find it baflfing they haven't moved over any other TR games to the Switch though. Legend, Anniversary, Underworld, Reboot and Rise should all run on it without issue and I'm inclined to say there could be an audience for those games on the system as the last TR game for a Nintendo platform was Underworld on Wii IIRC.

Goldeneye got removed from the index of forbidden games in Germany last week. What makes this interesting is that such a classification automatically gets removed after a period of 25 years, which in Goldeneye's case would have meant around summer next year. So someone actively asked for its removal prior to that date and it got accepted. Probably a good chance it'll turn up on the NSO service in the coming months then.

Quick question, my partner wants the DLC for Animal Crossing. It’s the same price as upgrading to the expansion so was just going to do that. But am I right in thinking if I got the online pass it would only work on my account so she still wouldn’t have access to the DLC even though it’s on the same device?

That’s fucking bullshit if that’s the case. 

8 minutes ago, mfnick said:

Quick question, my partner wants the DLC for Animal Crossing. It’s the same price as upgrading to the expansion so was just going to do that. But am I right in thinking if I got the online pass it would only work on my account so she still wouldn’t have access to the DLC even though it’s on the same device?

That’s fucking bullshit if that’s the case. 

Here you go brother.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Love me some stats.

yir-games-played.jpg

yir-total-hours-played.jpg

yir-most-played-games 2.jpg

Also 70% docked. 30% portable. I’m surprised I played that much portable to be honest. I completed Super Metroid in portable mode and when I got back into Rocket League I’d practice on there while the Mrs had the TV but can’t think of anything else.

yir-most-played-games (1).jpg

98% handheld too.  I think that's just due to long MH sessions and had to move to the dock.  It would be 100% otherwise.

I didn't play Switch much this year except for MH near the start.

Play Axiom Verge 2 as well.  With a real Metroid game out it got overlooked but it's really good.