passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Nintendo News

HandsomeDead

3 hours ago, mfnick said:

Not actually sure how well F-Zero X will hold up too, it’s one of my all time favourite games and I don’t want to ruin that memory of it.

Like HD said, it's butt ugly but super smooth. Back then a bad idea because it looked dated on screenshots compared to WipeOut. From today's perspective definitely the right call though.

1 hour ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Motion sickness didn't exist in the 90s?

🤷‍♂️I never knew anyone that had a problem with any N64 game and the N64 was THE console of the late 90's. If anything, the N64 FPS games were the only ones I didn't get headaches from.

I don’t know if you mean as a whole retrospectively? It may have if you owned one but if like me you could only afford one console and one game N64 defined my gaming of the latter 90s.

Weirdly I can’t wait to play operation winback as it’s the one game I never got to play much I don’t think.

If anyone would like to see a decent N64 YouTube channel you should check out N64 Glenn Plant. Very informative and genuinely nice guy. For example did you know rare made a kart game on n64 after diddy kong racing?

I pre ordered the controller. It’s sold out now and on eBay for £90 😞 My son is staying over for the first time in the 5th and has never played a video game as my ex is against them so I’ll be using nso to start with the basics.

• 2 weeks later...

RE: N64 games - Fucking hell

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-10-26-nintendo-switch-onlines-n64-games-have-a-few-issues

So frame rates and tech stuff aside, they've completely missed bugs, controller layouts, weird start up animations - they haven't even modified Mario Kart 64 to save ghost data because the emulated version still thinks you need a memory pak. 

Fucking hell. 

There's only like 8 games or so for N64, and they couldn't even quality check them? What did they do just get the emulator going and was like "that'll do, Donkey". 

I'll give the tech issues the benefit of the doubt, like it's Day 1 and it's Nintendo trying to deal with the internet they're not exactly good at it. But there's just some super basic QA shit they haven't even done. 

Contrast that with Microsoft and how Xbox handles backwards compatibility, all the extras, enhancements, the amount of games they do the work on to make them play best on the latest Xbox's - and this work is for free. 

What a shit show. I never expected more than the basic treatment for this service and they couldn't even deliver that. For like 8 games. That they've emulated and sold before. 

Wow. 

On 16/10/2021 at 03:36, Sly Reflex said:

Well that's a hot take if ever I saw one. PS1 defined the latter half of that decade.

Huh? Weird I didn't see this reply sooner🤔

Anyway, reading back what was written, obviously that was the case. Everyone (myself included) had a PS1. It wasn't a hot take though, I just missed a word:

On 15/10/2021 at 22:33, OCH said:

🤷‍♂️I never knew anyone that had a problem with any N64 game and the N64 was THE multiplayer console of the late 90's.

Back in the day, every time I played the N64 was typically accompanied by groups of 2-10 people. Which was in reference to the preceding comment, on the lack of motion sickness attributed to the console. There was a large enough catchment pool among friends, relatives etc that it was never brought up.

Needs fixing big time. 

I will say for that last Tweet I shared, that guy is 4/5ths through the game with 3 hearts and no shield so maybe that's not real because he has glitched the fuck out of it. 

Still not sure why the version freaks out that bad and the Switch closes the app, though 

39 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

I'm going to be very moderate and say that given that Nintendo are charging extra for something that already isn't worth the money, they really should have made sure this was flawless

Yes, also in the grand scheme of things, it can’t be that hard, right? They have all the code, they have all the tech, they own the platform. Why is this so bad? It’s not even like they launched with 50 games and some of them had technical issues. They launched with 8 and couldn’t even get the controls right

It’s such low effort

I said for £35, because I’m such a big fan, that price was tolerable. But not for this. Can’t wait for the DF videos this week to clear it up and see what’s wrong, what’s right, what’s legit, what isn’t. This is a mess. 

1 hour ago, HandsomeDead said:

While Nintendo (or any other platform holder) aren't more familiar with emulation just because they know the hardware.  They're different things.

EDIT: actually, maybe Microsoft could be the exception, but they did get onto emulation quickly

I'm not sure he's right there tbh. Sega got a working Saturn emulator running, and running well (SSF is based off it) years before the community did, and Sony got PS2 games running off an emulator for the PS3 when they removed the hardware. They have access to the API's and various things that the community tend to have to just brute force past.  The individual developers might not be better equipped, but Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft etc know more about their machines than the fan devs