MFGamers

Nintendo News

HandsomeDead

4 hours ago, Maf said:

It’s almost like the Wii U was kick ass but got slept on 

It's so annoying.

Back then: "WiiU sucks and has no games, what a shitty console."

Now: "Please bring all those WiiU games to Switch please, I wanna play them."

the WiiU was a bad console though and it did barely have any games. Nintendo are the 1st party and have brought over just about everything they put out on it, it's not like it was tripping over 3rd party support. Any it would absolutely have tripped

It did barely have any support but the Nintendo games on there were amazing. Pound for pound better than the Nintendo games on Switch. I said this before but if the ports of Wii U games were subtracted from the Switch’s library and then they were compared toe to toe I would take a Wii U over the Switch. It’s good that these games will get the audience they deserve in the end but the Wii U - didn’t help itself in a lot of ways - but it got a raw deal. Fantastic output that at the time had no one to care.

Also Miiverse is the second best new console feature behind YouTube uploads. There. I said it. 

I'd love to see some of the Wii exclusives make the leap to Switch personally. Zack & Wiki and Madworld immediately come to mind. I didn't own a WiiU, so aside from a couple of Brawl matches against my brother, my exposure to it was minimal.

What's even left on Switch if you substract WiiU games? Splatoon 2 (which wouldn't exist without WiiU), Mario Odyssey and Pokémon? Lineup of the century right there.

WiiU had a lot of droughts since it didn't have any noteworthy Third-Party support but Nintendo's stuff was stellar. If I hadn't had a WiiU in 2014 I probably would only have enjoyed one game that year (Alien: Isolation). At that point in time PS4 and Xbox only got underdelivering disappointments and "HD remasters" so despite all I'm glad I had the WiiU at that time.

And that’s the other thing. Even though the Switch has lots of 3rd party support most of it I’d rather play on a PS4 or Xbox and most of the 3rd party exclusives they have are, IMO, middling to trash. MUA3 is the worst game I’ve played in 3 years since Sonic Forces. 

I’m not trying to make this my new drum but I don’t think the Switch is very good. Doesn’t even have Miiverse. Pah, I say, pah!

(But it does have a lot of Shmups I wish I was braver taking a chance spending money on, I give it that)

You all slept on the Wii U.  I kinda feel great because I don't have to keep up with Switch games so much because I've played them already.  

Yes I know Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is probably the best 2D platformer in recent years.  I fully finished it already.

I don't care if you're bored of New Super Mario Bros. like  uncool people are, the Luigi DLC is technically peak 2D Mario.

That's the thing.  The Wii U was Nintendo really focusing on design.  Maybe they were as baffled as everyone else by the console so some of their purest shit came out of it.  It's why so many people want the games on the Switch.

And I am waiting for Star Fox Zero to become a cult classic.  They can't port that game.   It rules (not always but shut up, no cult classic always rules) so I'm waiting for gaming culture to catch up.

Star fox zero was shocking!!! Not the game itself but the controls omg so frustrating, I didn’t get far into it before giving up..

I quite liked the wii u but it was Nintendo games only I don’t think I got anything else for it, you can see the stepping stone it was from wii to switch. 

One thing I don’t understand is how or why Nintendo ignore the cube era, some of those games are immense yet we don’t see remakes or enhanced versions on later consoles.

That's a mystery to me as well. The Gamecube has arguably the best and factually the most diverse lineup in their entire history. 

Maybe they don't want to just quickly drop them on the system without much effort and therefore lack the resources internally but those projects could easily be outsourced. Or maybe Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD didn't do that well? But then again they came out on WiiU, so...

WiiU vs PS4 is hard. I’ve yet to play a PS4 game that’s as good as BotW or Mario Kart 8 but PS4 also has a lot of bangers. There’s a consistency there that’s hard to fuck with. 

But purely in terms of Nintendo consoles Wii U is way up there and the Switch is way not

My beef with it is it's too big to really feel like a useful handheld to me, I never bring it around with me except if I'm going abroad maybe. Even then it's big and clunky.

Nintendo really need to hit that Kindle level convenience for me. Shame the Switch lite wasn't that.

On the flipside then it is too weedy next to the bigger systems. Can't do good with games like Doom. Again it is held up by the fact it happens to have one of the greatest games ever made on it.

I think for people who didn’t play the WiiU, not specifically on here but video game fans in general, they must play a Switch and go “Nintendo got their act together!”. No more one game every 3 or 6 months and pipeline split between 2 systems look at all these kick ass Nintendo games.

But if you did play the WiiU that problem still exists with the Switch. Paper Mario just came out and is excellent. But what was the game before that? Animal Crossing? Mario Maker 2 update? Then Luigi’s Mansion 3 stretching back to the end of last year. So somehow they still got this problem but if you don’t know then all these ports paper the cracks very seamlessly and people are like oh wow Switch is great. 

I play a lot on Switch but mostly because it's just a convenient machine. It boots in 10 seconds (PS3 needs 30, Xbox probably a minute), updates take a second or two to load and install, the Pro controller is probably the best and most durable pad ever built, the machine itself makes barely any noise and if there's a cool 2D game on it chances are I will be able to enjoy it it handheld mode whenever I feel like playing a bit without turning on the TV,  closing the shutters etc.

Plus I take a bit of joy out of seeing these "impossible" ports running on Switch. Witcher 3 was just a very cool experience on that platform simply because it just shouldn't work. And yet it did.

But yeah, Nintendo themselves? They're resting on their laurels at the moment. It also doesn't help a lot of their third-party partnerships haven't really paid off so far, namely Bayonetta 3 and SMTV. But at least it looks like both of them will come out next year so there's that.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a bad little Direct. Good to see Hades finally makes its way to console. Been waiting to play that for years. I might get the name wrong but Raji (?). Looked very cool. It’s out today so will have to see how it reviews. It was the one game in the video that really caught my attention. I don’t know about Spiritfarers, kind of looked like Millenial Game of the Year but Eurogamer basically gave it an 8 so there’s that.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-08-18-spiritfarer-review-a-beautiful-unique-blend-of-genres