passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Nintendo News

HandsomeDead

We have a corporate bullshitery thread for Activision and EA and Nintendo do enough to warrent one too so lets get on it. Let's start with:

Nintendo shakes down YouTube Let's Players

The last time we heard about a major game publisher slapping the wrists of innocent YouTube channel operators, it was SEGA forcing the removal of videos that so much as breathed word of the Shining Force series. Whatever reason a company has for punishing fans who merely want to share love for their favorites games, I'm not buying it.

Now it's Nintendo with a shifty look in its eyes. Let's Player Zack Scott has taken to reddit, revealing that Nintendo is in the process of taking ownership of his gameplay videos, starting with LPs of Super Mario 3D Land. It's not a complete takedown as was the case with SEGA, rather an action taken via YouTube's Content ID system to redirect ad revenue to Nintendo's pockets instead of the video creator's. It's not an isolated event, either -- several other YouTubers have also confirmed claims against their own Mario-related game footage.

You could make the argument that content creators shouldn't expect to earn revenue from footage of a game they can't personally claim legal ownership of. But as Scott expressed in a follow-up post on Facebook, LPs offer a blend of entertaining commentary and helpful guidance that could even inspire interest where previously there was none. The success of these videos relies on the talent and likeability of the authors almost as much as on the game itself, sometimes more so.

Over on GameFront, a Nintendo rep explains that as part of its push into social media, the company registered copyrighted content in the YouTube database. "For most fan videos this will not result in any changes," the rep explains, "however, for those videos featuring Nintendo-owned content, such as images or audio of a certain length, adverts will now appear at the beginning, next to or at the end of the clips.

"We continually want our fans to enjoy sharing Nintendo content on YouTube, and that is why, unlike other entertainment companies, we have chosen not to block people using our intellectual property." See? You can still produce anything you like! Nintendo will just keep the money you ought to be earning for itself. That is unbelievably ballsy.

The only videos being claimed thus far are recent releases -- Super Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario Bros. 2, New Super Mario Bros. U, and Mario Kart 7. Nintendo is specifically targeting newer titles still in wide availability. If the company was genuinely concerned about such content sharing, it should be going after everyone. By being so selective, it's almost as though Nintendo feels threatened that people would watch these then decide they don't need to buy the game anymore. Non-interactive footage is hardly a valid substitute for hands-on play, so any suggestion to the contrary is absurd.

There is a silver lining, though. It seems that Nintendo genuinely wants fans to continue making LPs and related content without fear of serious repercussions. These content claims suddenly appeared out of nowhere and caught people off guard; I merely hope these LPers and Nintendo can sort this mess soon.

Oh dear. Some forward thinking, that.

To be fair, its a semi valid point. Or, its a valid point, but also sort of shitty.

Im not sure I fully agree with:

'See? You can still produce anything you like! Nintendo will just keep the money you ought to be earning for itself. That is unbelievably ballsy.'

It is after all videos of Nintendo's products that are being scrutinised. People who are posting the videos and making money off ads are indirectly earning money from a product made by Nintendo. The issue here really is that youtube allows you to make money from somebody elses thing, although there is the argument that the game is Nintendo's but the play through belongs to the player.

Definitely, I dont think Nintendo are bothered about that, in fact this statement endorses it, just the fact that other people are getting a reputation as LPers and getting money for it. Its almost like professional games players.

Well I guess this is a good place to discuss the Nintendo Directs - the next one of which is due tomorrow!

Nintendo will host a Nintendo Direct web presentation tomorrow, May 17, in North America, Europe, and Japan, where it will provide updates on 3DS and Wii U games launching this summer.

Find links and times below.

A separate Nintendo Direct, focused on Wii U games coming this fall and beyond, will be held around E3 in June, according to Nintendo.

http://gematsu.com/2013/05/nintendo-direct-coming-tomorrow

• 5 months later...

Miyamoto may not work on next Mario

Super Mario 3D World producer Shigeru Miyamoto has stated that there is ‘little chance’ of him working on the next series instalment, and that he’d like to focus on smaller downloadable titles moving forward.

It follows Miyamoto’s reveal that his role at Nintendo has changed over the years, and that while he doesn’t need to appraise and approve ever detail of a game, he still has final responsibility, as he calls it.

In an interview with Gamekult, Miyamoto said, “Create a game of the caliber of Super Mario 3D World takes a lot of energy and there is little chance that I could take the time to work on the next Mario.

“However, I want to get involved again and more deeply in the development of smaller projects, but that doesn’t mean it will be a modest download-only title or something like that. It is not impossible for me to work on a new game as the main producer in the future, but even when I’m not directly in charge of a project, I always look at what the teams does in terms of gameplay, and I trust them. Don’t worry about Mario!”

I'm not that worried about this as I think the team there at EAD Tokyo really know what they're doing with those Mario games.

I'm also pretty excited to see what little things Miyamoto games up with when released from the responsibility of looking after most of Nintendo's big titles. He has been saying it for a while but I hope we're not far off these gaming trinkets popping up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Despite having my WiiU for about 6 months, Nintendo keep sending me ads. This one isn't bad though.

630x660-n-wk47-nr-megabundle_1.png

I'm not sure on the saving, I did a quick count up and got £381 without shopping about. That's quite a saving if you like Mario games. Can you price anything up cheaper than that, Ed?

• 2 weeks later...

Nintendo Direct today:

Yoshi's New Island coming to 3DS in Spring 2014 - is this news or known? Looks marvellous anyway!

DK Tropical Freeze: Feb 21st and it really looks lovely :) Everything Nintendo looks amazing in HD...

Sonic Lost World Free DLC - Yoshi Island Zone, looks wooly and colourful and its free! I don't think anyone in the world bought Sonic though...

Wii Sports Club Golf now available. I've not tried any of these HD Sports updates yet...

Phoenix Wright vs Professor Layton: March 28th. I used to love the Layton Games but not sure on the PW ones..

More harping on about SSB - To be fair it does look well nice! I never really get them though.

MK8 - Just check out the video - I'm happy with my pre-order that's for sure. Spring 2014 also.

There were other bits and bobs mentioned, just my highlights.

Well I'll link to it then.

I was more excited by the bits and bobs.

There is a Musou game based on the Zelda series that was briefly shown which but me through a range of emotions. At first i was 'ugh, that new Zelda game looks really cheap' then I saw the amount of Moblins Link was slashing through 'which made me go 'Oh... is that a musou game?..' then I let it settle and then I thought 'Cool, I'll play a Zelda musou game. Sign me up!'

I'm picking up NES Remix as soon as I get paid. It basically looks like a cooler retro Nintendoland and I'm down with that.

I also liked the look of Doctor Luigi but the price point on that is putting me off. I'm just not willing to part with over £13 for the game at the moment. But it still looks good.

A new Smash Bros. character was also revealed:

It's Roselina from Mario Galaxy. That's a cool edition. I'm down.

There is a Musou game based on the Zelda series that was briefly shown which but me through a range of emotions. At first i was 'ugh, that new Zelda game looks really cheap' then I saw the amount of Moblins Link was slashing through 'which made me go 'Oh... is that a musou game?..' then I let it settle and then I thought 'Cool, I'll play a Zelda musou game. Sign me up!'

:toss: Must own this game!!!

I hope you get to play as other characters then just Link. Like Shiek, Groose, Tetra.

I'm sure they will have more characters. It'd be a pretty disappointing Warriors game if it didn't.

I've been meaning to get back in the series. Last one I played was Dynasty Warriors 4, I think. I've only dabbled with a few demos since with the intention of maybe picking one up if I saw it cheap (though I checked earlier and the Wii U port of Warriors Orochi is within my financial range but a quick look at metacritic points to it not being a good port unfortunately). But I have Dynasty Warriors 8 on my wishlist ready to be bought when I can.

What's the point I'm trying to make? Ah, I guess it means I'll try and get this one day one because of brand recognition and Zelda fanboyism.