passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Uncle Dokuro

Started playing this last night.

Kairo is an adventure/puzzle game that was developed by Richard Perrin. Kairo does have a narrative, but the game leaves it up to the gamer to figure out what that might be by exploing the world and solving the puzzles. It's leaves you confused and I kind of like it that way. I'm starting to get the sense of what I think narrative might be, but I'm still not 100% sure.

The world is that Kairo is based in is a kind of heavenly, sterile, peaceful and slighty creepy world. Kairo is not a horror game, but the fact that you are the only living thing in the game along with musical score and sound effects gives it a creepy vibe. Kairo's world reminds me a lot of the world that El Shaddai was set in and Hueco Mundo from the anime Bleach.

On a technical level Kairo is far from flawless. While I love the world and the confusion the game leaves me in the game does have issues. While I can't speak for the Windows, iOS, android or Mac version of the game. The Linux version suffers from massive screen tearing. The first person controls are also on the losey-goosey side of things. There is a slider in the option menu that lets you adjust the camera, but it does not seem to make a difference, unless the slider is all the way to the left - then the camera does not move.

I have not finished the game yet, but from what I've played so far I would recommend this to adventure and puzzle fans.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IBkoyCeKwIU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last night I did a fresh install of Windows 7, I was have issues with Ubuntu 13.04

Kairo on Windows run beautifully and does not have the screen tearing that the Linux version had. Also you can use the 360 gamepad with Kairo, which is pretty sweet in my opinion.

• 2 months later...

Started this today, played as far as the central chamber with multiple exits.

The only problem I had as far as the camera goes was the default mouse sensitivity is way too high, I turned it down a lot. Other than that the game runs a-ok, will try it with the 360 controller the next time!

Gorgeous game, if you liked exploring Dear Esther then I think will you like Kairo. It feels like you are travelling through an ancient world, but you don't know what any of it means.