passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Uncle Dokuro

It doesn't look as hilariously bad as I was expecting in that trailer, but I'm not sure about how often it's hitting 720p. For me, anything that isn't a close shot of a character model (for those bits I'd probably use fmv if I was them) looks sub HD. It's going to be interesting to see it once it's out, I can't see me buying it unless it somehow goes stupidly cheap, but I am looking forward to Digital Foundry's video on it

I doubt they're using any pre-rendered footage on this. the PS4/Xbox version are something around 50GB, this is apparently 32GB (and completely on a card no less). There's no way they could put every major cutscenes as a movie file on there while staying under 33GB.

I'm actually considering buying this, just to see it in action. It's such an odd choice for a Switch port and I like that.

They could do that, they just need to have compressed fmv. Like FFXIII on 360.

There's a lot of voice acting in this game too. Probably that'll get compressed.

I want to see what happens when the player gets to Novigrad. I would never play this version of the game but it's going to be interesting to see how they handle it.

10 hours ago, Nag said:

Hellblade pre-renders some scenes on Switch apparently...

Yeah but Hellblade is a tiny game. You've probably seen more assets and character models in The Witcher's tutorial than in Hellblade's entire runtime.

Plus Hellblade isalmost 20GB for such a tiny game, that's more than half of The Witcher 3 size.

• 4 weeks later...

rumour time

Czech retailer CZC has posted a listing for the game on its website, suggesting that it'll be launching on 24th September. That would make the release date a Tuesday - which isn't the most common of game launch days - so we're not entirely convinced, but that general time frame sounds like it could make sense.

As with any retailer listing, treat this simply as a rumour for now; an official release date announcement will no doubt come our way over the coming weeks or months. Until then, though, we can certainly hope that we'll be getting our hands on it as early as September - which is now only two months away.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/07/rumour_czech_retailer_lists_the_witcher_3_switch_for_a_september_release

• 1 month later...

Ed posted that above ?

I like Digital Foundry but they definitely have their favourites. The posh lad is a big Switch fan and it tends to show in what he covers. There was a point in the video where it's a side by side between PS4 and Switch, he says the geometry and foliage are identical despite the shot showing the Switch has no more than 50% of the foliage, it barely looked to hit 720p to me despite what DF said, but they should know better than me. I don't think they'd give the Xbox the same easy ride, you can say it doesn't look good while also saying it's an amazing achievement. The framerate does look better than I expected 

It's a decent technical achievement to get W3 running on the NS (albeit we are talking about a game that is 4 yrs old), but as I found with Dragons Dogma, the novelty of playing in handheld mode quickly wears off as it lacks the shear scale and intensity of experience that you get with the big screen TV. So then you end up with just a compromised version of something that you've already played years before.

Although at least now the Switch has the rare boast of if you don’t care about specs but you love open world, high fantasy games then you can play Zelda, Skyrim and now the Witcher 3. Probably the holy trinity of this type of game in the last 10 years.

Granted, I don’t know who that person is but it is a thing