passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Tagging

Hendo

Instead of subtitles, we now have tagging enabled - only for use in the Games folder though.

You can tag in any system in the list. We also have an Indie tag there. This is there so that eventually when all threads are tagged, it should make it much easier to find, say, every thread for Dreamcast games.

You can only tag using the Full Editor and the main tag which goes before the name is used when you tick the box for "Use First Tag as Prefix".

post-62-0-00931600-1358459640_thumb.jpg

This will look like this:

post-62-0-11455700-1358459663_thumb.jpg

Pick the tag you want like that first, then the others.

These aren't final tags, more suggestions are welcome. :)

Nice, should be useful.

Just tried to go back and add this to the couple of threads I've created in Games recently and I'm not seeing the "Use first tag as prefix" checkbox. Tried creating a new thread and not seeing it there either.

Nice, should be useful.

Just tried to go back and add this to the couple of threads I've created in Games recently and I'm not seeing the "Use first tag as prefix" checkbox. Tried creating a new thread and not seeing it there either.

Try now, I think it was closed for non-mods by default.

do we need genres? I suspect most of us are familiar enough with most games, and if you get something that's on 4 or 5 platforms and is a mix of genres it's going to get ridiculous

I did wonder to go alongside "Indie" you could use main publishers as well. So Sega, Nintendo, Microsoft, Capcom, Konami, etc?

Only one tag can go in the prefix - you can use a maximum of 10 as of now and the rest fit along the line quite well, until it says something like "and 1 more" like Sonic Transformed does.

Or do you mean the tag list in the edit post bit?

I guess we could dispense with systems (as there are already loads) and just use all the publishers and Indie, so there's only one prefix tag and nothing else? I agree on the genres, it would just get messy. It's already mind-bending finding old threads and wondering whether something really is Indie or not. I'm sure Fez was published by Microsoft and all that.

I guess the options are:

1. Systems

2. Publishers

3. Genres

I'd personally go for publishers purely because it's less confusing. But maybe less useful. I'm already talking myself out of the system. :(

do we need genres? I suspect most of us are familiar enough with most games, and if you get something that's on 4 or 5 platforms and is a mix of genres it's going to get ridiculous

Use 'Multi' for multiplatform apart from PC?

I personally think the more info the better, it just means you can cut right to topics you are looking for. It's not a case of us knowing the games, it's a case of searching for them.

Saying that, if the search is as good as the one without tags, tagging is going to be fucking pointless.

I personally think the more info the better, it just means you can cut right to topics you are looking for. It's not a case of us knowing the games, it's a case of searching for them.

Saying that, if the search is as good as the one without tags, tagging is going to be fucking pointless.

When are you ever going to need to search for all the fps games or all Activision games?

The new search seems improved to me, but if you need it just type in to google site:mfgamers.com then the thing you want e.g. http://www.google.co.uk/search?client=opera&q=site:mfgamers.com+rio+ferdinand&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest

I'm not being down on tagging btw*, I like them, I just think overfilling them doesn't serve their function

*(cue sam with some sort of nobby response)

When are you ever going to need to search for all the fps games or all Activision games?

The new search seems improved to me, but if you need it just type in to google site:mfgamers.com then the thing you want e.g. http://www.google.co.uk/search?client=opera&q=site:mfgamers.com+rio+ferdinand&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest

I'm not being down on tagging btw*, I like them, I just think overfilling them doesn't serve their function

*(cue sam with some sort of nobby response)

That's what I normally do, because the search function on forums is generally baws.

@Ben - I guess so... :unsure:

So what are we going to do with it then?

I'll be honest, my main reason for wanting to use it is I quite like the little grey box with "INDIE" in it and maybe it's just a good idea to use that prefix to put more weight towards the smaller games which don't get as much attention as a Call of Duty or whatever.

I guess if you want, you can ignore it. I'm quite happy to edit the threads as they come and put tags in if you can't be arsed faffing around with the pull-down box (it is quite busy, yeah).

I dunno. If you are only going to do it with certain threads where do you draw the lines?

For me it's either everything or nothing.

I do agree with Ben, banging in loads of tags to one thread is going to look cluttered.

I'm not sure about the publisher tag. As a defining factor I think there are too many of them to input too. You don't want to click the drop down box and be hit with a wall of options.

I find stuff that tends to get lost is stuff that has words that identify it that don't apply to the search engine. If you try and search something like Fez from an in-site search the system just rebukes you for not being accurate enough, even that's as accurate as you are going to get with searches like that.

The amount of tags you could include in this are substantial.

I think I'd personally limit it to something like this.

• Generation of console - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console - Mark these with gen1 to gen8.

• PC - For PC games obviously.

• Tablet/Phone - For everything else, maybe do the generations thing like the consoles.

• Avalibility - Retail, download or indie.

• Genre - Self explanatory

If you do it that way most thread titles will only have 4 tags.

Examples:-

Gears of War 3

Gen7 - Retail - TPS

Minecraft

PC - Gen7 - Tablet/Phone - Indie - Sandbox

Pixeljunk Eden

Gen7 - PC - Download - ???

Civilization V

PC - Retail - Strategy

ZombiU

Gen8 - Retail - FPS

Super Mario World

Gen4 - Gen6 - Gen7 - Download - Platformer

It's just an idea. It's probably not the best way, I'm just trying to add some structure to it.

Yeah that would involve a hell of a lot of tags in the pull-down list!

I personally don't think that retail or download is something that will be relevant as we go on. And is certainly less so if you only do PC gaming and use Steam.

not that I'm offering up an alternative but I really don't like the idea of the gen stuff. If you're playing something on a megadrive/snes/CDi just put that in the title or something, chances are though you're playing it on a download service (or it'll be in any catch-all retro thread that might get started). Having individual platforms for current gen stuff is handy because that might be the sort of information people want to know, is the game out on a platform they've got

and tbh when I think PC I think download, I've bought maybe 2 retail game on pc in the last 5 years, and I imagine that's pretty much par

edit: that's a cool feature, the forum popped up with a message to tell me another post had been made while I was typing

Rllmuk uses the same software as us and also uses the tagging system. They have a load of systems and also a few genres, however the genres are a little more simplified so they have "shooter" rather than distinguishing FPS or TPS.

I guess the question is - how would you use it to search in the future? Would you be searching by genre, system, generation or delivery method?

I like "Indie" because that's a specific thing that this forum posts about and is something good to mark out.