passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

FTL : Faster Than Light

Hendo

• 3 weeks later...

Booted this up tonight for the first time in ages. It's a good buzz to get back into. I'm going to stick to my tactic of improving the ship's shields, engine and weapons stats and equipping four weapons (preferably laser) and two anti-ship drones as fast as possible.

Does anyone know what happens after you beat the sector 8 boss?

Well I tried a slightly different tactic there of spending all my scrap on weapons and droids first, then upgrading shields and engines afterwards.

It was going really well, I was about half way across the world map with four weapons equipped (and the weapons stat at max) and one anti-ship droid. One rough sector without a single store killed me though - I watched my hull damage go down and down and down and in the end I was baked. Unlucky! I was feeling well prepared for the big showdown. I guess it's worth buying at least one shield upgrade.

Got to the Rebel Flaghsip with 3 shield bars and 4 weapons equipped but unfortunately I had no anti-ship drones which makes fighting it a complete waste of time. You need your weapons to be hitting the hull not the shields. I got destroyed without making a dent on him.

From now on I'm going to restart around the half way point if I haven't already bought at least one anti-ship drone.

I'll going to try with the Zoltan ship just for the power advantage (Zoltans provide one bar of power to whichever room you put them in).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm fucking livid. Cruised through the game, came to the final sector armed to the teeth. Had an Anti-Ship II and an Anti-Ship I constantly assaulting everything and a Halberd Beam and Hermes missile launcher fucking everything up. Beat the first form of the final boss in about ten seconds, taking no damage. Got to second fight, "seems he is directing all his power to his drones" blah blah blah, so I aimed everything at his drones. Destroy his drone room red and bam - game over. Would you believe - every single one of my missle shots MISSED. About 6 or 7 Hermes missile shots I fired at that room and they all missed. What are the fucking odds?

Oh FTL you cheating cunt. :weep:

I'm fucking livid. Cruised through the game, came to the final sector armed to the teeth. Had an Anti-Ship II and an Anti-Ship I constantly assaulting everything and a Halberd Beam and Hermes missile launcher fucking everything up. Beat the first form of the final boss in about ten seconds, taking no damage. Got to second fight, "seems he is directing all his power to his drones" blah blah blah, so I aimed everything at his drones. Destroy his drone room red and bam - game over. Would you believe - every single one of my missle shots MISSED. About 6 or 7 Hermes missile shots I fired at that room and they all missed. What are the fucking odds?

Oh FTL you cheating cunt. :weep:

Yep, when FTL decides it's time for you to lose it can be a complete shit.

I had a similar run where I had an enemy ship down to one unit of health, and the game decided my next 7 missiles in a row would miss while I got murderized.

It's frustrating, and my only real problem with the game, because it doesn't feel like bad luck or you made a mistake, it feels like the result has been decided regardless if what you do.

I really don't like the final boss fight. Considering that his second form will just go apeshit on your ass if you can't destroy his drone room, it basically means you have to have at least 3 missile weapons firing at it (since laser weapons are useless against him), which is all well and good only that means you need a hell of a lot of missiles if you want to avoid being a sitting duck after a handful of turns.

In my last fight against him I had three missiles weapons firing at the room. It never went below orange and before I knew it I had no missiles. And then he spazzed out with his 60 drones starting fires everywhere, disabling my systems and creaming my health. Wah.

I've never even got to the final boss fight...

It's annoying as I have got really far. There was one session I had the other day I had a crew full of guys that were all gold ranked and I had a bunch of awesome weapons and I had heavily upgraded ship and I fucked it up right at they end because I pissed around during the Last Stand and missed the fight so I failed. I would have destroyed it if I bumped into it.

I'm getting better at managing my shots better which took me longer to get my head around that it should have and I've also got good with the beam weapons, especially the fire one. I have killed so many enemy crew members with suffocation it's unreal. It's my calling card.

This game does make me feel weird at times as I am just fucking heartless in it. BioWare should really drop the hero/baddy bar because I think I can get away with it I will do some of the worst things, but I suppose It's because the decisions are left up to a dice roll so I don't always want to play the hero. It does the morals pretty well.

I played it a lot today as well but the game hated me so I didn't get anywhere. here's me thinking I was getting better at it.

I got really close to beating him today. And i know where I could have played a bit better as well. I'll eat my hat if I don't beat this game within the next week or so.

I'd love to make a let's play video of me playing through the game and talking about it. If I get a new computer I'll invest in fraps and give it a lash.

DUDES DUDETTES

I fucking did it. I beat FTL! And it couldn't have been any more amazing. The emotions I went through...

First of all, I beat his SECOND form. No dice. There's a THIRD form. In his third form he has an attack which hits multiple rooms in your ship, starting fires everywhere and disabling multiple systems. It was a tense battle. It can turn on its head in an instant.

And so - I got him down to TWO green bars of health (one hit from any of my weapons basically) - when HE DESTROYED MY SHIP. I pressed print screen so I could show you how close I got. I would probably never have played FTL again at that point. While this was happening - ONE OF MY MISSILES SLOWLY CAME ACROSS THE SCREEN AND DESTROYED HIS SHIP - so I was looking at TWO BURNING SHIPS wondering what the game was going to do. In the end, it did this:

ftlcredits_zpsb1d5e0f0.jpg

EMOTIONS.

On to normal! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got to the final boss fight today. I didn't have the best ship in the world. Shops I was coming across were only ever selling droids and crew members so I went through most of the game with the starting weapons, until an enemy dropped a five shot laser right before The Last Stand so then I did stand a chance. I had a 3 tier shield and quite a high evasive percentage but I had no helpful buffs or anything. The shops were so shit.

Anyway, I got to the boss and I destroyed its first form quite easily. The five shot laser eats up a lot of power so I could only double it up with the starter rocket launcher but that combo made pretty short work of it. But the second form just destroyed me in ten seconds. It sends like a wave of five droids and they just cut my ship to pieces: the shields didn't stand a chance and it did massive damage. I have no idea on what to use to stop that.

• 2 weeks later...

FTL has been pretty cruel to me recently, most of my runs start ok and then it'll hit the 'time to die' switch and pile the misfortune on and wipe me out around sector 6 or 7, or I'll get a run of shitty stores and encounters and arrive at the boss woefully under prepared.

I unlocked a new ship, the stealth cruiser, the other day. I don't know how exactly. It looks ridiculously hard to play, it starts with cloaking, but no shields.

• 1 month later...

Free update coming

Weve been working hard over the summer and are excited to finally officially announce a free expansion, FTL: Advanced Edition! FTL: AE is a huge content addition that includes new weapons, drones, augments, systems, enemies, and more. Here are some details on just a few of the additions visible in the trailer:

Mind Control System: Temporarily turn enemies into allies. Force a boarder to repair the damage they just did, or have the enemy pilot sabotage their own helm.

Hacking System: Lockdown and disrupt enemy systems. Unique effects for each system, ranging from forcing a teleporter remove boarders to making the medbay damage instead of heal.

New Sector and Events: Our writer Tom Jubert has returned along with special guest writer Chris Avellone (of Planescape fame), who managed to find some time for us between his work on Project Eternity and Wasteland 2. Theyve been helping us add a new sector and scatter new events throughout the rest of the game.

New Weapons and Effects: Many new weapons that take advantage of new mechanics: overcharging to increase the number of volleys, stun effects to freeze crew, and area effect targeting, to name a few.

And more systems, drones, augments, enemy ships, enemy layouts, and hostile environments. All of which well be sure to talk about more in the coming weeks!

In addition to new content, weve continued to polish FTL and add some of the most requested small features. As a few examples: youll be able to save your crew positions and send them back to battle-stations, save and quit during combat, and find more items for purchase in stores.

For the purists out there, FTL vanilla will still be available. All of the new content can be disabled from within the hangar before starting a new game.

FTL on iPad

Were also very excited to announce that FTL is coming to the iPad! Weve redesigned the FTL interface to be optimal for touch devices. It plays beautifully on both the full size iPads (2nd generation or later) and the iPad minis. And of course it will include all of the new additions of the FTL: Advanced Edition expansion.

But many of you might be asking What about Android (or Surface, etc.)!? For now, the answer is that we hope to get it on all tablet devices but do not know for sure. When we first released FTL, we did so on three operating systems simultaneously and it was a gargantuan task for a two man studio to accomplish. Learning from the difficulties of the past, were trying to preserve our sanity by focusing on one system at a time. Expanding tablet support will be our next highest priority, but we dont want to make any promises (or rejections) until were 100% sure of the outcome.

Similarly, some people might be asking What about phones!? Unfortunately, FTL will not be coming to phones. From repeated testing, we have determined that its just not possible to achieve the quality of gameplay we want on such limited screen space.

• 4 months later...

http://www.ftlgame.com/?p=688

RELEASE DATE!

The time has come! We will release both FTL for the iPad and the FTL: Advanced Edition expansion on April 3rd!

As a reminder, FTL: Advanced Edition is a free content expansion for FTL. All current (and future) customers will receive this update regardless of where they purchased it. Prior to release, we will post detailed instructions on how to get the update from whatever digital vendor you originally purchased FTL.

The iPad version of FTL will require an iPad version 2 or higher (iPad 1 is not supported) and will cost the same as the PC version, $10. It will be the complete game, including the new Advanced Edition content, and will not have any in-app purchases. We are proud to say that the iPad version is a true equivalent to the PC in the experience it provides, which is why we are price matching to the PC version.

Hope it gets an Android version eventually, as it's a game I'd definitely play on a tablet.

I haven't played that much with the new additions, but there's a great little interface tweak that lets you save all crew positions. You can move people around in an emergency, and then send them back to their original stations with a click of a button.

There are new 'charge' versions of some of the weapons, where if you let them charge longer, they fire more shots. They seem like they will be useful against heavily shielded ships.

There's a new alien race that can survive in areas without oxygen, which makes them incredibly useful for repairing hull breaches. They also suck the oxygen out of any room they're in, so you have to be careful moving them around your crew. I accidentally lost 2 people in the heat of battle by moving one of them into the same room as my other guys to repel boarders. I haven't tried it yet, but if you had a couple of those guys and a teleporter, you could probably fuck an enemy ship up.

I've got to the end boss about 5 times, but never managed to beat it.

I seemed to do much better at the game when I worked out that I had to spend as much time in each sector as possible, salvaging as much from each location as you can.

I downloaded the patch at the weekend, but not given it a go yet.

It does seem like the ideal mobile game, but I wonder how it will suffer with touch controls. I guess so long as you're paused while you're doing things, then it should all be ok.

I wonder if the vita will ever get a port?