passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

DmC (Devil May Cry)

spatular

V took some getting used to,but I like him. It’s fun legging it around,reading poetry to charge up DT,then calling Nightmare and wrecking the place.

DMC didn’t help soothe the fanboy rage with the “not in a million years” joke when a white wig ends up on his head early in the game. But at it’s core,it was an enjoyable game. Pity that Ninja Theory didn’t get the chance to develop their take on it further.

16 hours ago, AndyKurosaki said:

DMC didn’t help soothe the fanboy rage with the “not in a million years” joke when a white wig ends up on his head early in the game. 

Haha I liked that bit. Thought good on them for taking piss a bit. 

They ended up putting in the classic look as a costume anyway though.

Not really. It was a fun jab at the old games that ends up being silly foreshadowing because he ends up with white hair in the end anyway. It’s not saying “fuck you” to the haters because when that scene was written, pre-vizzed, recorded, animated, and finalised the game didn’t have any haters because it wasn’t even close to being released yet. The hate didn’t come until much later. 

The game is pretty self aware of all the hate though. Bob Barbas is an analogue of the fanbase for instance. He calls Dante an emo twat or something like that.

Of course that's a voice over line that didn't need previz/animation etc like you say. But the hate was instant when it happened and I think it's a reason why it feels like they course-corrected and reboot Dante feels more in line with what you expect with a DMC character versus how strung out he looks in the trailer, which might as well be a trailer for a different game

My read on that trailer at the time was the game was still part of the general continuity and that "Dante" was in fact being brainwashed by demons into becoming some sort of "anti Dante" to fight and kill the real one, like Shadow the Hedgehog or something. He has this episode in the trailer where he starts holding his head and it flashes between the prison and him fighting. Like he doesn't know what's real or whatever.

That premise could have worked if you consider Limbo as a sort of demonic take on The Matrix so it looking nothing like old DMC wouldn't have been a problem.

I think that with the benefit of hindsight it would have been interesting to see what their take would have been if there was no backlash, purely from the story perspective anyway. Theory crafting aside I bet it would have been a lot different.

I've been popping into this as a palette cleanser after 5. Quite literally in fact as I am burned out on all the grey in 5 and like the contrast this game provides.

The "definitive edition" of this game has one mode I really like that I wish carried across to 5 called "must style". It's not a difficulty but a difficulty modifier, so you can pop it on on human mode or Dante must Die or whatever. Enemies only take damage at s rank. So you can only hurt things if you look cool while doing so, which is a great idea for a game like this.

It's all about keeping momentum but it's really hard to get it back when you lose it ☹️. Fuck those cherubs

Spoiler

I'm flexing a bit here cause I like to do that ?.

Spoiler

But it's a cool mode that caters to the more crazy people who like to play these games and doesn't get talked about much, mainly cause a lot of the

crazy people stay away from DmC.

Agreed, it’s a great mode just a bit too

much for me but great for those with the skill.

I meant to bring light to a brilliant quality of life thing in this too, if you pause the game it lets you know how long ago the last Checkpoint/save was. Such a simple but brilliant idea! I wish all games had this, I hate it when I’m not sure when a game has last save so I’m scared to turn it off. 

Going back to the reboot after playing a lot of 5 is really weird because you notice how much of DmC Dante is a hybrid of Nero and old Dante's fighting.

One thing I find myself noticing is that Angel Lift is often redundant as Dante has loads of these Nero-esque movement options where you can attack and move really far at the same time. Attacking while moving upward, forward, upward and forward, forward in the air, whatever.

Also I'm noticing that the Acquila was probably the inspiration for the Rawhide devil breaker with how it gathers enemies together, and Overture is probably taking ideas from the shotgun attack which puts sticky bombs on enemies.

Which btw work well together, sticking bombs on enemies then using Acquila to herd then into being exploded with each other.

It's more that the hangups I have with DmC are things I find that most people really don't care about when it comes to games like this, so every DmC thread turns into a boring one sided shouting match. I can't force everyone to come to these action games demanding the same things that I like, and vice versa. People who want a more balanced full package DMC are right to say this is the best one, but speaking personally I just prefer the razer sharp focus on mechanics that the older ones have even if they are generally more uneven experiences and I'm not going to apologize for that.

But it's just a boring argument to have over and over. I spend a lot of time over on the dmc resetera community threads and other places and people there are still salty over DmC. It's just old by now.

Its not that I've changed my mind on the things about it that I think are worse than the numbered games, like the bosses mostly being big heads with claws (excepting Vergil). But now that 5 is a thing and the series feels sort of complete and probably worth wrapping up it's easier to play a game like this and look at the things it does right, the stuff it does way better than the old games, and be like "hey, thats pretty neat".

I said I wouldn't take the bait but eh ?

• 4 weeks later...

Despite having started this 50 years ago on the PS3 it's currently part of Xbox Game Pass so I downloaded the Definitive Edition and have been playing that. It sure is good fun. Couldn't give a fuck about the story so I skipped all of it, i just wanted to hack'n'slash demons'n' that. The guy gets a lot of weapons, there really is a ton of variation in the combat. I finsihed the story then went straight to Virgil's DLC which was poor in comparison. Less liakble character, less enjopyable levels and combat. I'm now going back through the main game on Devil Hunter difficulty because I want to play again with a bit more knowledge of just what the fuck i'm doing.